Is belt cover necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My covers have been on and off many times one side is not the easiest access but I always put them back on. Just a few bolts after all

I would not work in front of or beside a running engine with exposed belts.
Nobody plans on a slip and fall. (well, most people)

Like all dangers....

Risk manage.....

Assess the risks and mitigate them.

One mitigation option is to put the guards back on, but it's not the only mitigation option.

Belt Guards

I had twin Cat engines with Perforated metal covers. I kept the metal frames and replaced the Perforated metal covers with clear Lexan which is hinged and can easily be moved out of they way. When any mechanic is in the ER I am always there too. I believe it is important to see the belts when the engines are running. It also saved nearly 100 lbs of unneeded weight.

We have twin Lehman 135 na's. Never had belt covers. I do not go in the ER without shutting engines down.

That engine room is so not fair. This weekend the stb engine would not turn over, just went click click. Loose battery cable. I had to cover my 75 lb. ten year old son in sun tan lotion to make him slippery and then slide him over the prop shaft and under the battery charger into a remote corner of the engine bay under the salon stairs, where he could just reach the far battery contact with a wrench. To be safe I did tie a mooring line to his ankle so I could pull him back out under the engine block if he slid into the bilge or got stuck anywhere. Meanwhile some others have engine rooms where you could play a pick-up basketball game. Life is so not fair. tapatalk_1599099518118.jpeg

That engine room is so not fair. This weekend the stb engine would not turn over, just went click click. Loose battery cable. I had to cover my 75 lb. ten year old son in sun tan lotion to make him slippery and then slide him over the prop shaft and under the battery charger into a remote corner of the engine bay under the salon stairs, where he could just reach the far battery contact with a wrench. To be safe I did tie a mooring line to his ankle so I could pull him back out under the engine block if he slid into the bilge or got stuck anywhere. Meanwhile some others have engine rooms where you could play a pick-up basketball game. Life is so not fair.View attachment 107389

Sorry :flowers:

(This is probably a bad time to mention that it’s also bone dry.)

Like Angus, my port engine spinning at 2200rpm is right in your face as you go through the doorway - definitely want that one on.

The starboard engine's cover is also on because, well, I can't see a good reason to take it off.

The alts are set back a good bit from the cover opening and I can also inspect the belt with it on.

Attachments

• EngineRoom (Medium).jpg
    EngineRoom (Medium).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 36
I remember boarding "Semper Paratus" The GH N37 at Green Cove Springs around 2002 or 2003. Peter Swanson was working for GH at the time and we were friends. Plan was to take her out for a little spin and fun. Initial engine room entrance observation (Glaring to me) was the lack of guards on the small Yamnars .This boat was a demonstrator,Charter boat. I never followed up to see if they had changed anything. Really nice engine room otherwise...

You only have to be distracedt for a second and then, you could lose a finger or more.

Yup, and you could go overboard having been distracted for a second. I have the same model of boat as angus99. I had shields. Threw them away. Far too much trouble accessing the alternator and belts. Plus, they were metal shields so it was near impossible to see an impending problem. Angus99 has clear shields which obviated that issue but aren't most shields metal?When underway and checking down below, I ALWAYS am extremely careful about ducking through the 3-foot hatchway to enter. If, the few occasions when the going is very rough I can just peek through the door to assess what is going on. Otherwise, the danger is quite minimal assuming using common sense. Oh, those shields I had made shooting IR temps a lot more difficult. Nope, no shields for me.
You only have to be distracedt for a second and then, you could lose a finger or more.

I removed mine tge day I bought the boat. Yanmar 6lya-stp

Back
Top Bottom