Bedding material for acrylic windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Replacing center windshield pane with acrylic plastic. Am looking for a flexible when cured bedding material. Do not want to use* 5200 as I might have to replace pane in the future.
confused.gif

3M 4200 is similar to 5200 but is not as "permanent." You could also use Sikaflex.

Actually 4200 will yellow over time. 3M 4000 is the one to use where it may be exposed to sunlight. It's about the same formula as 4200 but with UV resistance.

Brent Hodges wrote:

Actually 4200 will yellow over time. 3M 4000 is the one to use where it may be exposed to sunlight. It's about the same formula as 4200 but with UV resistance.

Not exactly. 4000UV is a polyether, not a polyurethane like the 4200 and 5200. It is a good one for UV exposure. Stays white.

I removed the center pane from my Taiwan built trawler, and discovered that the bedding was paper thin. It seems that the factory put the bedding on the windshield frame and layed the glass right over it with the result that the bedding material was squished out. The glass was actually laying right on the bottom of the frame with very little bedding there. No wonder the windshield leaked! I rebedded the center pane using shims to allow for a thicker layer of bedding between the pane and the frame. The bad thing is that the rubber window seals no longer fit into the frames and I must rely on a bead of bedding material for an outer seal.

I've found that paper clips taped into place make good spacers to maintain a consistent thickness of bedding. I'll have to do them again in about 15 years although at that point I may be too decrepit to argue with them again. We'll see.

Just dont do what I have seen many people do and suggest, using buttle rubber. I use to replace windshields and its a cheap windshield glue. Its supper stringy and NASTY. If you ever have to remove a window that has this crap on it you will have it everywhere!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom