Barnacles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rookieboater

I am new to boating and managed to get barnacles on my fiberglass boat. How can I get them off? Is there a solution that really works? It was a rookie mistake. Help!!

Welcome aboard. We don’t have them here so I can’t advise on how to do it best. But once you get it clean you should at least put bottom paint, and maybe a barrier coat, on it so they don’t get as bad next season. What kind of boat and where are you keeping it?

Barnacle Buster. They have a recommended mix for cleaning hulls.

IF the yard going to do it, just stay out of their way. If you are going to do it, ask for advice

Just DON'T put Mary Kate's On-Off on bottom paint or get it on your trailer (alum or galvanized), for example if dripping or rinsing off the hull. It's very extremely reactive, yet effective, and will do damage to those things. Also keep it away from thru-hulls and shafts, props, outboards or anything else metal.

Also be careful using those acidic cleaners with your skin, eyes, lungs, etc..

No harm on fiberglass. I love the stuff.

Just DON'T put Mary Kate's On-Off on bottom paint or get it on your trailer (alum or galvanized), for example if dripping or rinsing off the hull. It's very extremely reactive, yet effective, and will do damage to those things. Also keep it away from thru-hulls and shafts, props, outboards or anything else metal.

Also be careful using those acidic cleaners with your skin, eyes, lungs, etc..

No harm on fiberglass. I love the stuff.

I recommend you do not use anything 'off label'.

Welcome aboard.

What size is your boat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom