Barnacle removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
As I reported earlier I fount the shaft, and port side trim tab and rudder side with heavy barnacle growth. I have removed many of them but there are fragments that have adhered to the metal surfaces. What do you suggest I use to take them off. We got some unexpected 70 degree days coming up so I am getting an early jump on some out of water projects. Appreciate the advice

A scraper. Acid will take off the base that adheres to the boat surface, but it takes mechanical force to pull off barnacles. Sometimes high pressure water will also do it.

David

I got most off with a scraper its the base that adhered to the surface that is challenging. i can try the pressure wash

Then buy some muriatic acid or HCl at a hardware or home store. It is used for removing mortar spots on masonry walls. Swimming pool supply stores have the same thing. Wipe the boat surface down with it using gloves, let it stand for ten minutes then wipe of with a water hose running.

David

Muriatic acid will do it, but wear a respirator unless you have a good breeze behind you. Finding a good way to apply it can be a challenge. I have had success with a paint brush.

Spray bottle but watch the wind!

Delicate touch with a 100mm grinder and 60 grit discs.
Needs to be sanded for paint anyway.

Lord, am I ever grateful to boat in fresh water!

Muriatic acid, pressure washers and electric grinders! Oh My!

pete

Pete, I now wear gloves to pick up mooring lines as last year I got shredded by one covered w barnacles. Yes they are nasty little buggers

pete

Yep, you got rust, alligators, rocks, poisonous snakes we never see in the "Guff" Coast waters, a limit on the direction of travel, and no red snapper, mahi mahi, king mackerel, shall I go on? :socool:

On metal like rudders, shaft and props I use a variable speed grinder on low speed with a 3” wire cup. High speed will cut into the metal if you mess up.

Lollygag1,

Let them sit for a few days and tap on them with a dead blow hammer. the glue they secrete breaks down after a few days of being dead and dry.

I use a set of stainless steel meat cutters gloves whenever I have to bash barnacles. Those shells are SHARP!

StarChaser

pete

Yes, but it is hard to beat the therapeutic aspects of warm salt water. BTW muratic and hydrochlic acid are the sme thing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom