Old 03-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Barnacle problem

My boat collects a LOT of barnacles on the underwater metals during a 7 month summer season. The marina paints the bottom for me and I forget exactly what they use for the metals but it's an anti-fouling paint made for metal, like you would use on an outdrive for instance. My main concern and my main question is dealing with the bronze hull strainers at the water intake thru-hulls. They not only get covered in barnacles, but the barnacles also get inside the strainers and are hard to clean out. I'm worried about an over-heating problem some day. Any suggestions on what might work well on bronze specifically? Is zinc paint ok to try such at Pettit Barnacle Barrier? Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
strainer.jpg  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
South Bay strainers. They allow you to remove the grate and clean and paint inside. On Long Island they are a must have item. We have lots of eel grass
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
South Bay strainers. They allow you to remove the grate and clean and paint inside. On Long Island they are a must have item. We have lots of eel grass
What Arc said. I installed one on my last boat. Easy to paint. Pull a pin and it opens for cleaning.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We use the same bottom paint on the strainers as the bottom itself. No real issues with a 6 month season in SW FL or on a 14 month trip up and back along the East Coast.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
With 4 years in warm Florida waters we initially had the same problem. During a haul out we cleaned the strainer grates only to find the inside was full also. The man that owns the boat yard suggested that we try cold galvanizing spray from 3-M. We used it on all of the bronze intakes and outlets. At our next haul out two years later we found that everything was still clean. I don't know if the stuff is recommend for that use, but it worked well for us.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
With 4 years in warm Florida waters we initially had the same problem. During a haul out we cleaned the strainer grates only to find the inside was full also. The man that owns the boat yard suggested that we try cold galvanizing spray from 3-M. We used it on all of the bronze intakes and outlets. At our next haul out two years later we found that everything was still clean. I don't know if the stuff is recommend for that use, but it worked well for us.
Thanks I think I will try the same. I appreciate the suggestions for removable strainers but that is not a simple change because mine are part of the thru-hull and seacock and I don't want to tackle that a couple weeks before launch. I will try to clean as best I can from inside and outside the boat and spray with zinc the best I can.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Feed a piece of heavy gauge copper wire into the cavity of the strainer in a loop and it will kill off any invertebrates that venture inside the strainer.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Copper bottom paint goes dead on metal unless it has a barrier between it and the metal. You could use a non-metallic primer (several coats) or I have had luck coating all my metal, except propeller with thickened epoxy. Then apply your bottom paint and it will work. Layer upon layer of "dead" bottom paint can also act as a barrier but that's doing it the hard way.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Copper bottom paint goes dead on metal unless it has a barrier between it and the metal. You could use a non-metallic primer (several coats) or I have had luck coating all my metal, except propeller with thickened epoxy. Then apply your bottom paint and it will work. Layer upon layer of "dead" bottom paint can also act as a barrier but that's doing it the hard way.

It's interesting stuff

I thought we had electrical issues and had a corrosion expert on ours recently trying to find out why we are blowing antifoul and epoxy primer off of the bronze prop and bronze rudder but not the adjacent steel nozzle (epoxy primer coated and free of growth) or full length steel shoe (no epoxy coating and covered in growth) The shoe did have vinyguard used prior to antifoul.

Electrically we checked out ok but apparently it is to do with noble metals and where copper, bronze and steel are on the scale.

He said we need to go multiple coatings of the epoxy primer on the bronze and steel to make it invisible to the high copper content antifouling.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #10

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post

Huh?
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: penngrove
Vessel Name: Lucky Us
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
I posted on this subject about the "Sonihull" electronic hull cleaner. I can't say if it works, but it sounds good!!
z1nonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote