Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #101
Guru

City: Sydney
Id love to get my hands on 20l of the black sparkly tacky anti-fouling the Australian Navy used 40 years ago it was good for 7 years in salt water I swapped a 6 pack of ice cold beer for 2 x 20l tubs at the then local Navel depot on a hot summer day all I remember is how heavy the tubs were
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #102
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have to wonder: If copper bottom paint is toxic to marine life (yes, it probably is to some extent), why have humans been using copper pipe in their homes to supply drinking, cooking and bathing water for so many years without problems?

I believe it's possible to rig tests to come to any desired conclusion.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #103
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. WK. Copper pipes are solid metal whereas the copper used in anti-fouling paint is either a fine powder or a copper compound. The surface area of a powder is orders of magnitude greater than a solid so it reacts/leaches on a much greater scale.

Perhaps, in the future, copper WILL be found to have caused problems much like the findings on lead but so far, so good.

Indeed, tests can be rigged but I think in this case you're grasping at straws...

Toxic effects of a wide variety of metals have been proven BUT, many of the metals that have been proven toxic in larger amounts are trace elements essential for life. Copper is one such essential trace element.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #104
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
What he said!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #105
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
So if you don't see dead fish floating around, high levels of copper must not be harmful?

Holy jeezus. Friggin' ponderous.

From the California Department of Pesticide Regulation:

"Although copper is an effective biocide, it may also affect non-target organisms and pose environmental concerns. Copper may be washed into the aquatic environment from agricultural and urban application sites and may enter water when used as a biocide in antifouling paint formulations. The latter use may constitute a major copper pollution contributor to California marinas, because antifouling paints continually leach from and are regularly scrubbed off boat hulls, thus releasing copper-containing paint residues into the surrounding water and sediment. The resulting copper concentrations may potentially be high enough to threaten aquatic organisms."

"Aquatic species differ greatly in their sensitivity to copper. Some animals, like mollusks, can tolerate high concentrations of the metal, while others are adversely affected by very low concentrations of copper. Emerging evidence shows that very low, sublethal copper levels can adversely affect the sense of smell and behavior of fish. The developmental stage of the fish at the time of copper exposure is critical to the reversibility of sensory function effects. The fish olfactory system may be the most sensitive structure to copper pollution."
Holly Crap Rodger Rabbit... I had to go look that one up! "Fish olfactory system." Yup - there's a bunch of literature on that. Live and learn!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #106
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Copper still a hard swallow! Sure, ablative is soft of self cleaning but after a season's end, most bottom paint I see is still stuck to boat bottoms. Add the dilution factors and the ppm amounts again shrink.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
.................. There is no shortage of environmentalists ready to carry a flag and beat a drum under the presumption saving something, anything. And risk/benefit trade offs? Don't be an idiot, just bang the drum! OH--- AND BE SURE TO CALL THE MEDIA SO EVERYTHING IS TELEVISED!!!
I was talking to a lady the other day and she said that we needed to stop burning fossil fuel and switch to electricity so we could cut out pollution. She said electricity doesn't pollute.

I asked her if she knew where electricity came from and she said "rivers".
Old 03-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Let's keep this thread off the politics of pollution etc.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #109
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Copper - Treatment, Use, Problems | Reef Sanctuary

Copper also cures fish of diseases. What is true in California is they always trumpet the negative, everything causes cancer and is harmful.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #110
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
"The Naval vessels upstream from me are contaminating my bottom paint!"

"Tributyl tin isn't metal!"

"The biocide we use on our boat bottoms to kill marine organisms isn't toxic to marine organisms!"

"Copper is actually good for fish!"

Old 03-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #111
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
...can anyone answer the question please. Does the banned paint have to be removed?
If you are referring to tributyl tin paints, the answer is, "No, they do not have to be removed." But they do have to be overcoated in such a way that no tbt biocide can leach out. Know also that tbt paints are incompatible with copper-based products.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #112
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
WesK wrote;
"I asked her if she knew where electricity came from and she said "rivers".

That used to be true in the PNW. And she was an "old lady". Huge numbers of people are not aware that has changed dramatically. This is also a statement that old people are dumb. They are actually smarter but some of their stored information is "dated". Young people are actually dumb to think that old people have less experience. Think of the young people's saying "been there done that". Opps .. I think Ive said that many times. What was this thread about?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
WesK wrote;
"I asked her if she knew where electricity came from and she said "rivers".

That used to be true in the PNW. And she was an "old lady". Huge numbers of people are not aware that has changed dramatically. This is also a statement that old people are dumb. They are actually smarter but some of their stored information is "dated". Young people are actually dumb to think that old people have less experience. Think of the young people's saying "been there done that". Opps .. I think Ive said that many times. What was this thread about?
As so often happens on web forums, you seem to have read a lot into my post that I didn't write.

I did not say she was "old". She's no spring chicken but she is several years younger than I am. And she is not from the PNW and I don't believe she's ever even been there. She is from the south east USA.

The lady in question works in the marina office. It's true that some electricity in parts of the USA is generated by hydroelectric dams, but environmentalists have pretty much assured that no more hydroelectric dams will be built in the USA. Nobody wants nuclear power plants in their neighborhood so basically, that's out. That leaves burning fossil fuel as the predominant method of producing electricity. The pollution is still there, the difference is, it's in somebody else's neighborhood.

Her argument was that electricity could be generated by solar and wind and her proof was that some homes use solar and wind power and sell excess energy back to the power company. That's not untrue of course, but solar and wind energy are not available 24/7. Storage for a home is not a big deal (it's just like on a boat), but on the scale to run cities and factories it's not practical.

Using stored electrical energy to power vehicles and boats is another issue. Battery technology is not there yet. Sure you can buy a car that will go 400 miles on a battery charge but if you need to go 500 miles, you are out of luck. It was my (and the dockhand's) argument that it's more efficient to burn fuel directly to power a vehicle or boat than it is to burn fuel to heat water to turn a turbine to produce electricity, transport it hundreds of miles, convert it to low voltage DC to charge a battery and then discharge the battery to produce power to run the vehicle or boat.

The strange (and sad) part of the whole conversation was that a marina (and her job) depends entirely on people burning fossil fuel to go places in their boats that they don't really need to go.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #114
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
SeaHawk makes a primer that is a conversation/sealer to go over TBT paint or for unknown or incomparable bottom paints. I beleave one of the other major paint manufacturers does or use to market a similar product.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #115
Enigma

Greetings,
As an aside, the discovery that copper was an essential trace element happened in New Zealand. At one point, their sheep developed a condition called the "blind staggers". Not good for a nation that depends heavily on agriculture. Scientists found that a nutritional copper deficiency was the cause. When copper supplements were added to the sheep's feed, the condition disappeared. Further research indicated that New Zealand was lacking or low in a number of essential trace elements in the natural environment. Selenium is another that comes to mind. So New Zealand is the birthplace of trace element research. Go figure
Old 03-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
As an aside, copper was discovered to be an essential trace element in New Zealand. At one point, their sheep developed a condition called the "blind staggers". Not good for a nation that depends heavily on agriculture. Scientists found that a nutritional copper deficiency was the cause. When copper supplements were added to the sheep's feed, the condition disappeared. Further research indicated that New Zealand was lacking or low in a number of essential trace elements in the natural environment. Selenium is another that comes to mind. So New Zealand is the birthplace of trace element research. Go figure
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #117
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. g. But, but...they're not staggering.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #118
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. g. But, but...they're not staggering.
I'd say that about as staggering looking a flock o' sheep I ever seen! The one on right to rear looks as though it'd gonna fall over... Look at its ears, mouth slant and the tilt on the glasses. That is a staggering blind sheep!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #119
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Stop it Art. You`ll excite the New Zealanders.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #120
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Thank God for the Paint Police.
If not for them, who knows what mayhem would follow.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote