Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Unhappy Anyone familiar with LineX on decks?

Hi All!

I have a 1982 42' KK and at some point in its life, the salon top/flying bridge was refiberglassed and then a coat of LineX was applied (about 20 years ago now as best I can estimate). I am sure that the product is LineX (franchised product - which is mostly used for truck linings, but some marine use as well). The previous owner was the person who paid to have it completed and was very sure of the product. So far it appears to have been a very waterproof and rugged material and isn't in bad shape, but it is a rather darker colour and the flying bridge/top of salon get amazingly hot in the summer due to the colour. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this product and knows if it can be 're-coated' or painted over? If anyone had any experience with it -I would love to get more information. I have tried to talk to local vendors where I live, but so far the most they can tell me is that you can coat it again with LineX or LineX Renew, but it must be done in a 'booth' and if I use a different colour it is more pricey as it clogs their guns. It doesn't appear that they are very 'mobile' interns of application of the product and getting the boat to them nearly impossible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Sincerely,

Kimberly Kerns
42' Kadey Krogen "Kallisto"
AlaskaDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have painted over Durabak with no problems. These are similar urethane coatings.
Non-Skid Safety Coating for Your Boat or Ship
Durabak is a DIY coating. Ours faded. So to freshen it I painted and looks real good.

I used this for paint
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...h-ultra-cover/

If your thinking some kind of toxic solvent type painting system, I don't know.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I did some preliminary research on LineX bedliner. There is a dealer, LineX of Sarasota that does a lot of work on boats. He uses a special variant of the product that stands up to UV. Apparently most dealers do not use the special variant and don't hold up to UV as well. You might call him to see what he thinks is best. He has a mobile setup that would go to the area boat yards and spray boats.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I did some preliminary research on LineX bedliner. There is a dealer, LineX of Sarasota that does a lot of work on boats. He uses a special variant of the product that stands up to UV. Apparently most dealers do not use the special variant and don't hold up to UV as well. You might call him to see what he thinks is best. He has a mobile setup that would go to the area boat yards and spray boats.
Can post contact info ?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just googled LineX of Sarasota. I read on another forum that he did a lot of boats. He had a web site with photos.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Appreciate this info ... Sarasota is a long way from Victoria, so unlikely that I can utilize his services, but perhaps he will have some ideas on what could work. I think that actually the UV has been fine on it - there are almost no flaws in the LineX - one small crack and one small blister, less than sliver dollar size on a 15'6" x 18' surface area ... the problem is really the color that just heats up like crazy in our sun - impossible to walk on without shoes, and not a great color choice in general.

Appreciate the info on other similar products being paintable ... maybe I start with a test area and hit it with a bunch of different things and see how well it stays on!

Great info from all! Thanks again!
AlaskaDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
KiwiGrip?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I decided to go with Kiwigrip on my decks instead of the LineX since the local dealer had no experience with boats.