Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Any Recommendations for Plexiglass/Acrylic Replacement Windows?

I'd like to replace some fixed & slider windows. As my walls aren't perfectly flat, I can't use glass, so will likely use acrylic/plexiglass. I need entire window setups including track, frame, etc.

The boat is in WA just outside of Seattle. Can anyone recommend a vendor for replacement windows? I'd love it to be local source but am willing to go elsewhere.

Thanks for the help,
Mary
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Have you spoken with the people at: Marine Windows. Freeman Marine Equipment, Inc. provides the finest marine and specialty closures available. Custom fabricated doors, hatches, portlights and windows.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What is in there now?

My walls are pretty uneven too but shims and caulk worked. Glass will twist a tad when tightening the frames.

Any chance its not that bad?.... as it is hard to imagine the original builder used anything else and even a tough life rotting away (like my boat) wouldn't make it that bad.

Really sorry if I am insulting your experience...just hard for me to imagine the cabin is that bad.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Glass is worth the PIA as it does not readily scratch as plastic will..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Glass is worth the PIA as it does not readily scratch as plastic will..
What he said.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Mary: Talk the people at Diamond Sea Glaze. They're just over the border.

Diamond Sea Glaze
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Mary: Talk the people at Diamond Sea Glaze. They're just over the border.

Diamond Sea Glaze

+1 IMO the best glazing you can buy.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Believe me when I say I've investigated every possible way to install glass in the salon. I'd love to have glass but for the 4 affected windows, it ain't gonna happen. Anything I use in place of those 40 yr old windows is going to look heavenly.

I didn't realize DSG also worked with Lexan (I called them up). I'm going to get quotes from DSG & Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA. Freeman Marine utilizes DSG.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Mary
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
Something I learned from TAP plastics when investigating having new venturi panels made is that Lexan is stronger than Plexiglas but it is much more susceptible to scratching. If you have to go with plastic it's better to go with Plexiglas.

What were the original windows made of?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMary View Post
I didn't realize DSG also worked with Lexan (I called them up). I'm going to get quotes from DSG & Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA. Freeman Marine utilizes DSG.
Be wary of Lexan (Polycarbonate) as it develops streaks over a relatively short period of time. It's being used for dodgers on sail boats now and looks great for the first couple of years......then the streaks appear. Years ago, when GE first developed Lexan, they had a commercial on TV that showed a D-8 cat driving over a pie pan that was made out of Lexan. No damage appeared to the pie pan. Then....a little kid came out with an eye dropper full of isopropyl alcohol and dispensed it on the pan. Crazing and cracking happened immediately as Lexan does not have good chemical resistance qualities. It's also damn expensive!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... Lexan is stronger than Plexiglas but it is much more susceptible to scratching...
Marin: Did you ask about Lexan MR10? We used Lexan MR10 for ten years on our last boat and it is very scratch resistant. You can't make a major bend such as curved windshields/wind screens with it because of the coatings but the MR10 should work for side windows with a modest hull curve. Lexan MR10 is great stuff IMHO. Here's a quick blurb:

Lexan™ MR10 sheets improved Margard™ II coating resists abrasion and defies graffiti to ensure a "like-new" appearance for many years to come. The next generation of UV absorbers, Margard® coating now incorporates enhanced UV absorbers to protect the sheet from the debilitating effects of sunlight. As a result, Lexan™ MR10 is accompanied by extended warranties that are your assurance of long term product performance; 10 year prorated replacement warranty against breakage, yellowing, abrasion, loss of light transmission and coating delamination.^ 15 year warranty against yellowing and light transmission for qualified dual glazed systems.** Virtually unbreakable. High light transmission common to all Lexan™ sheet products. Easily maintained without marring, hazing, or yellowing. Compiles with major model building codes. Dade county approved material. Recommended for use in residential vertical glazing applications. The ideal glazing for high traffic and high impact areas such as: educational institutions, psychiatric hospitals, storefronts and windows, low-level physical attack areas, entrance doors and patios, hurricane protection, railings and sound barriers. Will withstand -40°F to 180°F continuous and 220°F short term with no load.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
This was some years ago and the actual product number did not come up. When I asked about using Lexan they simply said that while it's stronger its surface is much softer and so is very susceptible to scratching compared to Plexiglas. For that reason they did not recommend it for our application. I've not inquired about it lately.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote