Any Issues with switching Ablative Bottom Paint Brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Boat's hauled for the bi-yearly bottom paint job. Stopped by our local chandlery to pick up a gallon and a quart of Blue Water ablative paint, the same brand I've been using for 15 years, and they no longer carry it, nor does anyone else nearby. I looked at a few other brands and got talking with the sales guy about if it's ok to cover the existing paint with another brand. He thought it would be OK, but another sales person said you have to sand the old stuff. Another sale person recommended putting on a primer first then
painting. Anyone care to offer some wisdom in this area?

I have recently gone through the same.
I have used Petit Horizon for several years. Though I was having success with it, my cruising buddy using Micron CSC was able to use his boat exactly the same way we use ours, was getting 3 years to my one.
Last year I bought Micron CSC. I asked at the chandlery and was told, "they are compatible, just lay it on top of the other after a good power wash". So that is what I did.
This year, just as I was getting ready to head for Vancouver and haul, lay on a new coat of Micron, our PHO extended a "stay in your own area" health order, so I had to cancel my haulout. I then called the local diver, and yesterday he cleaned my hull and changed my zincs. His report "paint is looking good for another year without question".

The current 'thinking' is 2 coats on the bottom and 3 coats along the water line.
I am not about to change brands of paint without doing some serious conversation with the representative of the new brand.
The procedure for same brand application is, power wash, let it dry out for at least a day, sanding, paint the hull.
I have wondered why no seems to recommend a 'light' sanding on the first coat.

Back
Top Bottom