Anti-fouling Adhesive Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cottontop

Vessel Name
Alegría
Vessel Make
Overblue 48
Anybody have any familiarity with this product? Apparently an adhesive film coated with micro-fibers that resist growth. Claims no increase in drag. In this 2013 article, the price was 40€/m2. Not clear if that included application. The test patch in the article is impressive.

Micanti markets non-toxic, anti-fouling film | Yacht & Coast

An interesting concept if it lasted well. Having had trailer yachts before diesel cruisers, I must say, although not having to launch and retrieve is great, one real plus of the trailer boat was never having to spend anything cleaning and anti-fouling the hull. A quick hose down and that was all it took after each outing.

I had ever heard of it so I googled it. They seem to be going after the commercial market first. Sounds promising.

It was originally branded as Thorn-D. They had issues getting the funding needed. They talk five years and ten years but don't really appear to have satisfactory data to support that. They do have some test projects underway. One is with Damen started in December 2014. There's really a year and a half to two years of very limited data. I think it's a great concept but don't have a lot of confidence they're going to be able to pull it off. Perhaps some infusion of cash and a daring money losing step. They would need to basically give it to someone or some people to get it on a fleet of boats and compile enough data to get people willing to take the chance on it. Most aren't willing to be experimenters.

Back
Top Bottom