Another stain issue - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
This stain is from a leaking lower end unit on my outboard. I've brushed it several times with soap and water and tried removing it with bar tenders friend. So far no luck.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• swimplatform stain.jpg
    swimplatform stain.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 73
Greetings,
Mr. t. A leaky bottom end is never a good thing. Try some citrus based hand cleaner soap and scrub gently. Maybe a touch of varsol or paint thinner. You'll have to re-wax afterwards.
-edit- Just saw Mr. b's post below. Yes, try WD40 (forgot about that stuff).
What you want for the oil/grease stain is an organic solvent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_compound) whereas Barkeeper's friend is more for inorganic stains (rust/metallic oxidation). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_compound

giphy.gif

Last edited:
With oil stains I think you need to dilute the stain with a lighter clear color petroleum solvent first. I have used gasoline, mineral spirits etc. WD 40 might even work. Wet it out then blot with something absorbent. The idea is to dilute the heavier oil and suck it up. Then cover it with well rubbed in baking soda for a day and see what happens.

Last edited:
Acetone will remove almost any oil based stain.

David

Another vote for acetone.

We had a long, streak of fuel stain on an airplane from a leaking gas tank cap on a Cessna 210. To remove the lion's share of the stain, we used more Avgas. The final step was buff and wax to make it all disappear.

Thanks guys, sorry it took so long to respond. Having plenty of WD-40 on board I tried that without much success. After getting back to the marina I went to the local grocery and got some nail polish remover, ie acetone. There is no nearby hardware store. That did the trick. It completely removed the stain.
Thanks

Yep, that Acetone is good stuff, box stores sell it by the gallon or quart. I use it for just about anything stain related.

Starbrite also makes a deck cleaner with a UV element as well. I have used it on my non-skid decks and it works well. Be sure to rinse it off completely including any surface the rinse-off gets on or it will streak.

Back
Top Bottom