Another Interlux question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spike

Vessel Name
Chasing 80
Vessel Make
Chris Craft Constellation 460
I have another question about using Interlux brightside paint.

We have a boat that is "Hatteras Off White" and I have a quart of Interlux that I have used to paint a deck hatch and back door with good results, a very close color match. We're now redoing the non skid decks and in the process have repaired several dings in the deck along with a few in the toe rail. This is my first attempt at painting on the existing gloss parts of the boat and the paint doesn't match as well. See picture....

The difference isn't as bad to the naked eye as the picture shows but still very noticeable. I've since sanded that first coat back to where the primer starts to show through but want to get the color much closer for the following coats. I have some universal tint on the way in black and camel colors and my thought is to mix a few drops at a time and test on the area to get a better match. Any problems with this approach?

Also, any ideas on how to get a really good blend finish? I plan to wet sand down to 400 grit and then power buff with a light cutting compound to blend. Is this the right approach?

Thanks in advance for the help. It's amazing how many boat projects we've taken on versus traveling....I feel like the 19 in COVID stands for projects undertaken!

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 42
There are two Hatteras Off White shades. One has a 1990 suffix. They are slightly different. My boat has both shades.

My boat also has both shades. Quite maddening really.

Mixing tint into the paint a few drops at a time will get you close. Addiding paint flattening paste a little at a time can match the gloss of the new paint to the faded old paint. The difference in gloss can highlight different painted sections.

Feathering the paint will help blend the new to the old. Thicker paint in the middle and gradually thinner towards the edges is done with a brush or roller by reducing pressure on the brush or roller as you near the edge. An uneven paint edge, created with the brush or roller will also break up the line between new and old.

A Prevail sprayer can also be used to create a feathered touch up.

Well heck...I didn't know there were 2 off whites! I was in a west marine and saw only one Hatteras Off White and bought a quart. Do either of you know which is the darker one? I have the non 1990 version. Can't really tell a difference on the Interlux website chip page. I'd rather just buy a quart of the 1990 if it's going to get me closer than going all Mad Scientist on it a drop at a time.

Thanks SYJOS. I hadn't thought about dulling the gloss. Obviously I've got more to learn. I guess worst case is that I install the anchor washdown I've been wanting to add...that would be a perfect spot! It wouldn't help with the 6 spider cracks I've already prepared though...

Back
Top Bottom