Aluminum Trawlers - Pros and Cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was cutting and pasting some p.m.s so I might have become repetitive. I figured that 7 years of owning an aluminum boat might provide some useful information for someone but I guess that person isn't here.
I sure appreciate your wisdom an input even if others don't, we recently joined the aluminum boat club, so far so good, but learning curve is steep.

I sure appreciate your wisdom an input even if others don't, we recently joined the aluminum boat club, so far so good, but learning curve is steep.

I agree. I'm still learning, and am happy to have any information from a reliable source. I suppose it could even be considered a minor drawback to owning an aluminum boat, there are fewer voices of experience around to learn from, and there are lot of people who think they know what they're talking about, but really don't.

Hippo wrights;
“AVS, Gz curves , down flooding risks far exceed what was commonly available in older grp designs imho.”

Don’t know any of that. I’m flattered you would think so though.

I’m generally a little anti-aluminum boat cause they’er so expensive.

Lanocoat
&
Tef-gel

Both are recommended for threaded fasteners of SS into aluminum.

I have also used a non hardening, no metallic content, thread sealer to do the same.
Rectorseal #5. Prevents the galling on installation and seals the threads keeping any seawater out. But I will say though that I have no recommendations to base this on and my test is still fairly new, about 3 yrs. when I was determined to finish a project and could not find my supply of the above two.

I used enough of the Rectorseal that some cleanup from squeeze out was needed.

A thread to peruse about this subject:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forum...-corrosion-between-ss-and-aluminum-43035.html

Last edited:
I have an aluminum boat, planning hull,
28' LOA / 32' with bracket & outboard / 10' Beam

I had it built in 2017/18.

Positives -
Ability to get a small custom boat at a relatively reasonable price.
Having input in both the design & construction phase(s).
Personal choice for all equipment / systems / electronics / etc.
Low maintenance, bottom paint only, rest of boat is unfinished outside.

Items to pay particular attention to -
Bonding / grounding / etc. - none of this is a big deal if done correctly,
using a builder experienced in AL construction is important.
Isolate all fasteners with Tef-Gel or plastic sleeves & washers,
be careful of dissimilar metals.
Must use aluminum alloy anodes - never use zinc anodes on an AL boat.

Biggest challenge -
Acoustic & thermal insulation - there are methods & products
to overcome the above.

Last edited:
I am pro-aluminum. One caution that hasn't been mentioned yet is that welding aluminum takes skilled workers. I know of several aluminum boats that were custom built and are outstanding, but that was because of the particular owners. However, one must be sure they are dealing with a quality manufacturer/builder.

A fire truck-trawler story: I had a client who owned a firetruck manufacturing company. He custom built aluminum firetrucks for numerous municipalities in California. As he was approaching retirement, he built his own aluminum trawler. He hired an accomplished naval architect as well as a project manager and then used the laser-cutting machinery in his factory and built his 60' trawler next to his firetrucks. His finely finished, well built yacht was a beauty. Too bad his health prevented him from the long distance cruising he had planned.

“ Must use aluminum alloy anodes - never use zinc anodes on an AL boat.”

I thought you always use zinc anodes on an AL boat, not aluminum. Is there some definitive publication on this?

Judy - Please do share.

+1.

Here is a story. A relative had a large Al Broward. It was a very nice vessel in most respects. Replacement Scania engines by previous owner had apparently been causing some noise attenuation issues. So the PO placed a lead sheathing sound shield material over the lower cabin soles.

My relative had fuel odors show up a few years later. Yup - integral tanks, Al and Pb were a corrosive mix. All was properly fixed with new Al plating and ended up as good as new.

The Al alloy used for anodes is quite different than the Al alloys used for marine construction. About the same difference In galvanic scale as between Zn and Fe so no issues with protection.

DDW, good thing i didnt say it was 'perfect', right? So that comment of yours is as invslid as the supposed problems with alu.

This information goes back to 2012. Garcia Yachting is a well-known French sailboat builder with more than 300 aluminum sailboats under their keel (as of 2012). When Mr. Garcia sold his 40 year old company, he decided to build a trawler for himself and his wife for world cruising. After enjoying her, the boat, he decided to market LeTrawler for production while he built one 10 feet longer for his personal use. The 54’ LeTrawler was making its US premier at the Annapolis boat show which meant crossing the Atlantic during active hurricane season. Yes, they encountered 2 hurricanes but that wasn’t the problem. Mid-Atlantic, at 0-darkhundred, the crew heard a bang and loud crunch. One crew member got thrown from his bunk. While considering a mayday call, the captain did a quick check and determined that they weren’t in danger so they awaited daylight to assess for damage. The large dent and red paint footprint on the starboard bow lead them to believe they had obviously hit a partially submerged container, the kinda thing that doesn’t show up on radar. Due to the hurricanes encountered, they lost some time on their delivery so she not only arrived at the boat show a day late, but certainly lacking the time for repair. So we docked her to proudly display her damage. It was a great topic of conversation if not selling tool. The only other damage to the vessel was the impact knocked the dinghy off its chocks, but fortunately the tied painter made it retrievable. The dinghy became a life-saving story later when LeTrawler was boarded by pirates. But thay’s another story...

I wrote a yacht review of LeTrawler for another forum which has some good information on aluminum. I don’t want to post the link here, as I assume that’s’s against the rules, but you can send me a PM and I will provide it.

Judy

Last edited:
Judy, good story thanks. Everytime l've hit huge objects at sea, i was always glad i was in alu or
steel boats. That Garcia trawler looks real nice. One reviewer though said he would prefer heavier airtight doors though.

Have buddy boated, done cockpit hours, done tours and sailed many Al BWBs. K&M, Garcias, Boreals, Alubat, Kanters and one offs. These boats go RTW. They’re used as full time cruising boats. They are built right. Outfitted correctly for Al and some (K&M) are drop dead beautiful. Truly “finest kind” and “Bristol fashion “. I’d feel truly blessed to own one. Especially a K & M. Find it unfortunate that other than Kanter, Artnautica and Arksen I’m unaware of any series production Al LRCs motor vessels suitable for mom and pop cruisers like myself. Search yacht world near daily but just don’t see them. Can anyone offer advice as how to find one?

That Garcia trawler looks real nice. One reviewer though said he would prefer heavier airtight doors though.

I think that was me. When the Garcia group came to US to interview brokers, I didn't give them the sales pitch, I critiqued their boat. One of the changes I implemented was the name. I said that Americans might think a boat called Garcia was built in Mexico, so I suggested highlighting the fact that they are built in France, hence the name LeTrawler. My other criticism was their lack of watertight exterior doors. Garcia said that out of thousands of boats including all of their models, they had never had water intrusion from their doors. I asked them to consider it a marketing tool, so in the subsequent trawlers, watertight doors were to be included. Unfortunately, the pirate story ended the production line. LeTrawler was one of my favorites and Garcia was packed with good people.

Have buddy boated, done cockpit hours, done tours and sailed many Al BWBs. K&M, Garcias, Boreals, Alubat, Kanters and one offs. . Can anyone offer advice as how to find one?

Good post, Hippo. There are others I could add to the list. The problem is so many of the quality builders failed to sell enough in a timely fashion to keep the company or the line afloat. I know of several builders in both aluminum and steel that would restart their production line if they have at least one pre-sold. But that means a client custom building, waiting +/- 2 years until delivery, and then allowing the vessel to be displayed at boat shows or for private viewings. The common mo is for trawler buyers to buy at brokerage prices, not new build budgets.

My only suggestions are to use the "personal shopper" on YachtWorld and to put word out with appropriate brokers to add your name to the list when an appropriate boat comes up for sale before it hits YW.

Hippocampus......re your query...what about the alu...Korvet 18meter lrc, by the dutch Deep Water Yachts?

Have buddy boated, done cockpit hours, done tours and sailed many Al BWBs. K&M, Garcias, Boreals, Alubat, Kanters and one offs. ... Can anyone offer advice as how to find one?
Not knowing your detailed search profile:
There is a CAN built semi-displ boat for sale on Vancouver Island, gyro stabilized. It is 60‘+, but from the video posted on YW, interior volume looks more like a typical 55‘.
Certainly priced (CAN$) well below the ones you referred above.

Looked at the Korvets about 1/2 year ago. Seemed aimed at the European buyer. Excellent boat for that program and suitable for the European canal system as well. Unfortunately range restricted for our intended program.

Looked at the Korvets about 1/2 year ago. Seemed aimed at the European buyer. Excellent boat for that program and suitable for the European canal system as well. Unfortunately range restricted for our intended program.

Its supposed to be LONG range. How many miles do ypu expect to go before reaching land?

Ideally need 2500 plus 10% reserve. For about the same money can have an Artnautica with transpacific range. Want to do the North Atlantic gyre. There’s one of those for sale but at $2m out the door can’t budget it without selling the house. Wife insists we always have a house to come back to. No mortgage on it and she says keep it free and clear. Personally think boats should be cash purchases so too big a stretch. House rich/boat poor. Probably end up in a diesel duck or nordhavn. My first choice would be the Artnautica but still looking forward to the next money pit whatever it is. All smiles except C19 is making hard to shop.

Last edited:
If you use fasteners, aluminum nuts and bolts (I have some) are just not good enough structurally so you'll end up using stainless steel. Use 316 anywhere outside and coat the bolt with neverseize (there is another product that protects from corrosion but the name escapes me) otherwise it will make a corroded mess and the bolt may permanently gall.

Duralac (yellow)
Tefgel (clear)

Ideally need 2500 plus 10% reserve. For about the same money can have an Artnautica with transpacific range. Want to do the North Atlantic gyre. There’s one of those for sale but at $2m out the door can’t budget it without selling the house. Wife insists we always have a house to come back to. No mortgage on it and she says keep it free and clear. Personally think boats should be cash purchases so too big a stretch. House rich/boat poor. Probably end up in a diesel duck or nordhavn. My first choice would be the Artnautica but still looking forward to the next money pit whatever it is. All smiles except C19 is making hard to shop.

The Korvett 18 has 3000nm range...enough to cross any ocean.

My bad you’re right. We were looking at the 14 which is almost within our budget. It’s range is ~2000nm. Still, make a lovely Xmas present. Wadda U say. Be happy to pick it up in the Netherlands if delivery is inconvenient for you��

I have a 1988 42ft. Alum Aft house schooner/trawler made at Camano Marine in Delta B.C.,Canada.
5086 Alum. 1/2in keel,1/4in hull,3/16 above deck.
It has a full transformer no connection to shore/electric. I carry a silver silver chloride tester for testing for stray current at new marina or old wooden boats.
Never had a problem the paint is starting to peel I will remove it someday and go paintless.
Don

I have a 1988 42ft. Alum Aft house schooner/trawler made at Camano Marine in Delta B.C.,Canada.
5086 Alum. 1/2in keel,1/4in hull,3/16 above deck.
It has a full transformer no connection to shore/electric. I carry a silver silver chloride tester for testing for stray current at new marina or old wooden boats.
Never had a problem the paint is starting to peel I will remove it someday and go paintless.
Don

As highlighted in red, one extra precaution you should take.

It likely is not the marina's fault. But in most marina's its odds on that someone has a hot boat, and may not even know it. I have an aversion to having a boat made out of a material that can dissolve due to proximity to someone else's boat that has an electrical problem. A friend had to move marina's because the alu props on her sailing cat were getting eaten away.

But if you have a canal home and can park your boat at the bottom of the garden, or spend most of the time cruising and anchored out, or have the silver chloride tester and a marina with supportive management then alu can work.

Back
Top Bottom