Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Tapered wooden plugs, what, where, how?

I have read in a few posts about having tapered wooden plugs on board or even secured to each hull fitting. How many on TF actually have these in place? Did you buy them? Did you make them, and if so what kind of wood? Is there a standard for sizes? There are none on my boat so just want to learn more about them, equip the boat properly and hope I never need to use one. Cheers!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Most boat stores sell a package with various sizes. In theory, you can plug a through-hull that won't close. They're a soft wood that expands a little when wet, so you should get a good seal. They work great in training, on a shoreside mock-up. Never had to use one in the real world. I suspect it won't be that simple.

Your damage control kit should contain some material to wrap split hoses. Rubber inner-tube material works. Lots of small stuff (string) to wrap it tight. Some of the miracle epoxies that harden under water. Rescue tape. Lots of hose clamps. Gorilla tape.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I keep a couple handy which cover the size of my smallest thru-hull to the biggest.
Any marine supply place will carry them, although overpriced for a bit of tapered wood.

A screw-in leg off your old arm chair would probably work just as well. Or just whittle down a scrap of pine to a taper of the right diameter.

The one sold at my local marine shop appear to be a hardwood (oak?) but I would think a softwood wood be better in case they need to be cut down to size.

Attaching one to every thru-hull seems like a bit of overkill. Just keep them where you can find them in a hurry, just in case a loose battery shears of your seacock in a rough sea or some other worse case scenario.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
When running a tour boat, our USCG would bring the damage control simulator up for us to try out. Of course its never easy to stop a leak. I'm sure its harder on your boat than in the simulator. One interesting item the USCG recommended for your damage control kit: A Nerf footbal. It can be squeezed into many sized holes or pipes. I would also recommend some (pre drilled) scraps of plywoood and some wood screws. A trawler could use their sail (or any canvas covers) as a collision blanket as well for a breach if there was time to rig it. Water comes in fast.
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I've got my plugs in! I'm still rebuilding after a fire and as I get a system up and running I pop the plug out and carry on. These plugs didn't save the boat from sinking but were more a precautionary measure after the water was pumped out. They were hammered in from the outside by a diver. They do not come out easy.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
During a recent survey, the surveyor showed me a tapered plug made of a soft rubber material, I.e., like a Nerf football. He recommended in that it would conform to any size hole. I believe made by Forespar.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I have the plugs. However it’s best to keep the though hulls closed and remove the through hulls that are not needed. Every time we pull I ha eth through hulls checked and the hull surveyed.

So now I need to steal/borrow one of my grandchildren Nerf balls!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I use the handle of something wrapped with a towel or what ever.

From wooden spoons to screw drivers or even a toilet bowl brush.

Just an option worth mentioning when that plug is outa reach.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea hag View Post
During a recent survey, the surveyor showed me a tapered plug made of a soft rubber material, I.e., like a Nerf football. He recommended in that it would conform to any size hole. I believe made by Forespar.
TruPlug - Emergency Marine Leak Mitigation
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
We have wooden plugs I made. Got some appropriately sizes soft-wood dowels and tapered them. I have three different size thru-hulls so each has a number on the thru-hull, 1, 2 or 3, and each plug has a number on its end. #1 size thru-hull, grab a #1 plug. They are kept hanging in the ER in a handy place. I have also collected about 4 different size nerf balls from the discount basket in the grocery store. I have about 8-10 that cost a total of maybe $20.

I have practiced with one plug/ball by shoving a ball in and plugging after that. It worked just fine. After about an hour or so, the plug was quite hard to remove, needed a big pair of adjustable pliers to twist it to break it free. It seemed possible that you could damage your thru-hull if you are not careful removing it.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
We bought two of those. Tropical Blend came with a large collection of sizes of wooden plugs, we wanted to eliminate the wooden ones to save space.
Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
I have a tapered plug tied with break-able twine to every seacock. And I have a heavy rubber mallet hanging in the engine room to knock them in just in case.....
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I have a tapered plug tied with break-able twine to every seacock. And I have a heavy rubber mallet hanging in the engine room to knock them in just in case.....
The previous owner of my boat had done the same, a pretty good idea. You wind up buying a few more plugs, one for each fitting while you will probably only need one in an emergency. With the right one tethered to each fitting you won't need to be tracking down the correct size if crunch time comes around.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Wooden shingles are handy to have aboard as well. If you can still buy them at Home Cheapo/Lowes great. They can be split and stacked etc to fit many shapes of damage. These have kept many a barge afloat! Underwater epoxy sticks or "red hand" (hydraulic putty).... rumor has it that people actually use wooden shingles on Houses!!!
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrigney View Post
One interesting item the USCG recommended for your damage control kit: A Nerf football. It can be squeezed into many sized holes or pipes.
Thank you for that!! I had never thought of using them that way...but it makes a lot of sense!! Gonna have to raid "We b Toys and Stuff" and get some!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
There's one tied at every through hull, plus extras. courtesy of PO.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
The Tru-Plugs are the way to go. We have a few onboard and know they will conform to any of the thru-hulls if needed. We'll actually buy a few more so there is a Tru-Plug within reach of all the thru-hulls.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just remember...you don't have to stop the flow...just reduce it beyond the capability of dewatering your vessel.

That's why changing your rudder/shaft packing in the water is no big deal
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
We also keep several wood wedges in the engine room. It's reported that, after hitting an underwater obstruction, can crack the hull in such a way as to form long, thin fractures. One can then slow water intrusion by hammering wedges in the cracks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I have a couple of sets . I was going to tie the proper size to each thru-hull this past weekend and worked on something else.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote