Alexseal paint products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vadim

Vessel Name
Libra
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
In this post I would like to share my personal First Time EVER DIY painting experience using Alexseal paint product.
Dear forum mates, I can say one thing only if you planning to paint your vessel and trying to select which product to use for the best result. Do not go and waste you time on research (it took me almost a year just to research) go with ALEXSEAL paint product and you will not regret.
Little bit about myself. I have never paint anything in my life other than my deck and bathroom and that turn out to be a disaster.
In 2019 my marina land storage neighbor painted his sail boat using turbine spray system and Alexseal. I watch him doing it and talk with him about his painting experience. His boat looked so good that I decided to copycat him. He swears that this was his first time ever experience as well.
Just to jump a bit earlier back to 2018. When I got my boat I knew I would need a paint job, I quickly found out that it is one expense I can not afford unless I would do it myself. The lowest estimate I got, just to paint above waterline top side board only was $ 18K.
Like I said, it took me a while to save money and purchase Fuji Spray Platinum Q5 turbine paint spray system, do the prep work using combination of P-14 and Total Boat fearing compound to fix voids and dings.
And ALESEAL Primer and Top coat paint.
I am sure professional painter will find one or two spots, but from very close look. From 6 feet away it looks like a million dollar boat paint job.
I will post my pictures later.
I am not affiliated with ALEXSEAL.
I am DIY boat owner that did it and extremely happy with the result.
I hope this would help you with your DIY projects.

Thanks for the write-up. Always good to hear unsolicited positive comments. I recently had my boat painted and selected AlexSeal over Awlgrip after a bit of research.

Peter

I painted with Alexseal six years ago and I've been very happy with it. The paint still looks near-new and I've done no maintenance on it.:thumb:

Greetings,
Yup. Satisfied Alexseal user here, as well. Their epoxy fairing compound is really nice to use in conjunction with the paint. Mix 1:1 and sands easily.

Boatworks Today also really likes Alexseal paint.

Has anyone had success with tip & roll?
I was told that ALEXSEAL paint is great to be rolled and tipped, or just rolled and no tipping. The reasons I choose to spray vs rolling:
a. I was told that some what good spray job is better than very good rolling & tipping job (debatable, but I believed)
b. My boat has wood plank imitation and roll and tip the grooves would be a nightmare (totally fare statement)
c. Amount of labor and total time spray vs roll. spraying is much much faster, probably 10X faster. (save your shoulders :) I was told) very true.
day 1 half day afternoon prep washing, masking
day 2 final degreasing spray and wiping, wipe with tack cloth and 3 coats of primer
day 3 sending 320 grit, spray wash, wipe
day 4 final degreasing spray and wipe, tack cloth wiping and 3 coats of top coat paint
day 5 waterline masking, very light hand sanding 400 grit and painting 2 coats
Done.
d. The turbine spray system does not make allot of mess very little overspray and very efficient. ( I was told to use stage 5 system, because I was using 2 quarts pressure pot. Stage 4 is on the edge, 3 is not powerful enough or you would have to reduce paint beyond factory spec.)
This man has allot of great videos. I learned allot from him.
Good luck.

Boatworks Today also really likes Alexseal paint.
Alex from BoatworksToday is one of the reasons I choose ALEXSEAL.
I am very Thankful to Bryan from ALEXSEAL East-coast rep, who took time to baby step me through the entire process.

I painted with Alexseal six years ago and I've been very happy with it. The paint still looks near-new and I've done no maintenance on it.:thumb:
I swear they put some kind of magic in ALEXSEAL can of paint.
I have not work or touched any other products like AWL GRIP or other like products, so my experience may not be fair to other brands.
All I can say, if any of you DIY boat owners need to paint your boat and doing this for the first time, just follow the instructions and everything will be just fine.
If I did it, you can do it too.
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom