Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Is it the engine room 24V blower? Where does the fan exhaust?
Yes.

There are louvered engine-room vents, gunwale high, on either side of the pilot house. One is for air intake, the other for exhaust.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
I'd recommend spraying a little WD-40 into the mouth of the trumpet annually....keeps the note sounding as new and displaces some of the salt build-up.

I wouldn't put an auto or home depot fan into the engine room unless sure it is ignition-protected, as quality marine fans should be. (Vetus make the highest-volume fans for 12 & 24v systems I've been able to find, short of going to the people who +ve-pressure their engine rooms. Model is VENT178; capacity 424CFM; 5.6A draw at 12v (2.8A @ 24v))
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The type of horn set the OP is talking about has no reservoir or solenoid. It uses a small compressor, about the size of a soup can, that turns on each time you press the button.
Like the ones in the auto parts stores? If that's the case, the compressor should be as near to the horn as practical, not more than a few feet.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I'd recommend spraying a little WD-40 into the mouth of the trumpet annually....keeps the note sounding as new and displaces some of the salt build-up.

I wouldn't put an auto or home depot fan into the engine room unless sure it is ignition-protected, as quality marine fans should be. (Vetus make the highest-volume fans for 12 & 24v systems I've been able to find, short of going to the people who +ve-pressure their engine rooms. Model is VENT178; capacity 424CFM; 5.6A draw at 12v (2.8A @ 24v))

No real need to be ignition protected on the fan in a diesel boat

Also some of the "bilge blowers" are not designed to be run 24/7.. they have a short life span.
I had a 12" radiator fan setup on Volunteer and it worked really well to cool down the engine room which was about 1000 cubic feet.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #25
FF
Guru

I had a 12" radiator fan setup on Volunteer and it worked really well to cool down the engine room which was about 1000 cubic feet.

Folks at the higher latitudes have been known to use a small circ pump and a box heater for almost silent cabin warming after shutdown.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Our boat came with non-Kahelberg air horns. They worked well for about 3-4 years. Then they were crappy for another year. Then I ripped them out and put in an electronic horn. That's now worked perfectly for 6-7 years. The twin dual-trumpet cost under $200 and the installation was trivial.

It's a personal thing, I guess, but I never really understood the need to have a horn that knocks everyone's socks off. I think they should be very practical things - and because we live in Maine, we probably use our horns more than other boats (because of fog). I really prefer an effective horn and not one that's trying to make a statement.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Our boat came with non-Kahelberg air horns. They worked well for about 3-4 years. Then they were crappy for another year. Then I ripped them out and put in an electronic horn. That's now worked perfectly for 6-7 years. The twin dual-trumpet cost under $200 and the installation was trivial.

It's a personal thing, I guess, but I never really understood the need to have a horn that knocks everyone's socks off. I think they should be very practical things - and because we live in Maine, we probably use our horns more than other boats (because of fog). I really prefer an effective horn and not one that's trying to make a statement.
Stock boat horns are pretty ineffective.

With people running their boats near WOT (obviously not trawlers or sailboats) with the stereo blaring, or operating from a closed cabin, it takes a lot of noise to get their attention and sometimes you need to get their attention quickly. I would rather someone think my horn is too loud than for them to not hear it at all when they need to hear it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The air horn with a valve control is nice as you can blow a gentle note, or in case of a knucklehead, a full blast.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Are your feelings toward horns similar to those of my liveaboard neighbor? A fellow berther told me the liveaboard thought I was "showing off" when making a prolonged signal while approaching the breakwater at the marina's exit/entrance. He said he told her it was a required signal.

My truth is: to be effective, the horn has to make a statement. I'm not about to make a half-second "mini" signal when a four-second prolonged one is called for.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
If you want loud and distinct, consider a set of train horns.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
...... A fellow berther told me the liveaboard thought I was "showing off" when making a prolonged signal while approaching the breakwater at the marina's exit/entrance. He said he told her it was a required signal..
That's another of the "rules" that's commonly ignored by recreational boaters. If I were to use a horn signal when leaving my slip, everyone would think I was just showing off. Anyone sleeping on their boat as I'm leaving about daybreak would think worse.

Fortunately, from my flybridge I can see if anyone is coming or going.

I don't think I've heard these horn signals in transient marinas I've visited either.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I thought about it, but concluded a horn suitable for a 74-meter boat would be sufficient for an 11-meter boat.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #33
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
A couple of the truckers up here put them on there trucks.
They do get a person's attention!!!!!!!!
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #34
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Go to the Buell Horns website and you can hear how their different horns sound.
It kind of fun. I scared the bejeebers out of my wife.
Marine*-*Buell*Air*Horns

What if you're creeping through dense fog and you hear a train horn in front of you?
I'd be thinking I was about to run aground and why is my GPS so far off.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
When going from "the jump" (Venice) into the BigMiss during heavy fog, which is normal this time of year, the procedure is to pull back and listen carefully. When you are sure nothing is coming, announce your intentions on the appropriate vhf channells, asking for any concerned traffic, then, Lay down on all the horn you can muster, then get you a$$ out in the channell. More horn is better. These are the big boys, they normally monitor the radio very well, but sometimes they dont. Ships never respond, but they pay particular attention to horn signals.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
These are the big boys, they normally monitor the radio very well, but sometimes they dont. Ships never respond, but they pay particular attention to horn signals.
Therein lies the advantage of AIS. When calling a ship by name on channel 16, I'm 100% at getting a response. That includes 2 ships transiting the Panama City channel when I was just there.

Channel 16 is recorded by the Coast Guard. I have a feeling they know that.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #37
FF
Guru

Horns use different frequencies to allow some clue on vessel size.

While fun to contemplate the Kalenberg horn for an air craft carrier might nor be good for your whaler.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Horns use different frequencies to allow some clue on vessel size..............
Is that a rule somewhere or an assumption?

Either way, it's a good argument for installing a horn that people will assume is on a larger vessel. Better they lay off the throttle and look to see your 24' boat than to just ignore your signal.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Is that a rule somewhere or an assumption?
Rule.

To ensure a wide variety of whistle characteristics, the fundamental frequency of a whistle shall be between the following limits:

(i) 70 - 200 Hz, for a vessel 200 metres or more in length;
(ii) 130 - 350 Hz, for a vessel 75 metres but less than 200 metres in length;
(iii) 250 - 700 Hz, for a vessel less than 75 metres in length.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #40
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Rule.

To ensure a wide variety of whistle characteristics, the fundamental frequency of a whistle shall be between the following limits:

(i) 70 - 200 Hz, for a vessel 200 metres or more in length;
(ii) 130 - 350 Hz, for a vessel 75 metres but less than 200 metres in length;
(iii) 250 - 700 Hz, for a vessel less than 75 metres in length.

I wonder if that's the actual length you are or the length you want to appear to be???
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote