Adhesive for PVC dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedvic

Peter Edwards
Participant

I have a cable running from my outboard to a locker in the bow where it connects to the battery. I would like to attach the cable to the inside of the dinghy so it stays out any water in the “bilge”. I tried velcro loops, but the adhesive isn’t strong enough. Any ideas as to what would work without damaging the dinghy?

Thanks in advance…

Need more info -- what do you have for a dinghy floor? If it's a good quality marine wire or battery cable with good insulation I'd have no hesitation running it under an air floor, but if you have boards or aluminum, yeah -- potential chafe. I just bought a new dinghy and had to glue the registration numbers on -- those mail order number panels that are what, about 18" long and 3-1/2" wide. I've used all kinds of PVC inflatable glues, one part, two part -- but this time I used HH66 PVC glue and it did a very nice job. I suppose you could glue run a PVC sleeve all the way along one of the tubes. Wouldn't it be easier though to just run a flexible plastic tube under or along the floor and then snake the cable inside, and use that as a protector? I just did that to run a low-voltage landscaping wire under the sidewalk at home, just to give the wire some protection. Simpler.

Need more info -- what do you have for a dinghy floor? If it's a good quality marine wire or battery cable with good insulation I'd have no hesitation running it under an air floor, but if you have boards or aluminum, yeah -- potential chafe. I just bought a new dinghy and had to glue the registration numbers on -- those mail order number panels that are what, about 18" long and 3-1/2" wide. I've used all kinds of PVC inflatable glues, one part, two part -- but this time I used HH66 PVC glue and it did a very nice job. I suppose you could glue run a PVC sleeve all the way along one of the tubes. Wouldn't it be easier though to just run a flexible plastic tube under or along the floor and then snake the cable inside, and use that as a protector? I just did that to run a low-voltage landscaping wire under the sidewalk at home, just to give the wire some protection. Simpler.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I got a bit fixated on the idea of suspending the cable on the dinghy sides. We have a moulded fibreglass floor. Glueing a plastic tube to the floor will work well and keep the cable out of the way.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom