Adding Side Door at Salon Steering Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R. Bush

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TBIDO
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
I just looked at a Mainship 34 MkI. I like what I saw, but as a single handed sailor I was a bit concerned by the lack of a door giving access to the side deck from the main salon steering station. As an older guy I see a lot of potential for disaster striking in the time it takes me to leave the helm, traverse the main salon, climb out of the surprisingly deep cockpit and get up along the somewhat narrow side decks to secure a line to the dock.

Has anyone added an access door to a boat that didn't come with one?

How did you do it?

How big a pain was it?

How much did it cost?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Keep looking. Many, if not most, trawlers have side doors. They let in a fresh breeze, allow great visibility when backing, and yes, you can step out and throw a loop on a cleat.

(but you still may have to step quickly when the wind wants to put the bow sideways into the slip)

A door in the Mainship is impractical because the deck is much higher than the cabin sole. Generally if it wasn't designed in originally you're not going to get it.

Designing and then adding a door would be difficult and a lot of work. Just keeping water out would be a huge challenge since many manufacturers have a hard time doing it in the initial design and manufacturing stages. I would go more the route of remote control thrusters. Many of the 34s already have a bow thruster. And adding a stern thruster is simple, I added one on our current boat in 2 days of work. Then you simply carry the remote control as you leisurely walk around. Besides the thrusters will facilitate docking with the single engine. And add value to the boat that a poorly done door will not, no aspersions on your abilities to adding the door but it will be very difficult to execute well.

I would think you might want to look at another model boat if a side door is important to you. A side door on the early model Mainships has been discussed before but I can't recall ever seeing one. While nothing is impossible, two things would present a huge engineering problem. First, the height from the floor of the salon helm up to the deck is 2 1/2 - 3' so you would have to cut and fabricate a pretty deep pocket in the gunwale. Second, the aluminum frame for the window glass is also the roof support. The 2 modifications needed to put an access in the side of the salon would weaken the boat to a point that I would imagine it would be useless.
I really think your time would be well spent finding another model sedan-style boat that has a side access built in the design or maybe start looking at a double cabin style boat where the door is more commonly found.
The Mainship 34 classic is a fine little inshore cruiser that can be found for a decent price, I don't think integrating a door in the side of the cabin would be good for the structural integrity of the boat.

The most obvious problem you'd run into is the sole at the helm is a good bit lower than the adjacent starboard deck. You'd be looking more at a low window than a proper door. The challenge is then getting yourself up and out that opening without banging your head.

I've a friend with a PB50 that has an almost automobile-like roll-down window. It's just at the right height to allow sliding off the helm seat and onto the side deck. But the side deck is wide enough to allow egress without undue gymnastic/yoga moves. That would be a monumentally expensive endeavor to add something that well integrated into something like the Mainship. Like beyond anything approaching return value.

As others have suggested, a wireless yacht controller and thrusters would give you a lot more control for single handed docking.

Since you realize adding a door won't be cheap if it could be done. Why not instead think bow and stern thrusters that are remote controlled.

On my boat, I installed an external thruster as the hull framing is wood and the center piece down the boat is wood and the size of it wouldn't allow a tunnel bow thruster as it would have to be mounted to high. This thruster isn't remote controlled.

Then I stumbled across this product. Overall I quite like it. The one negative, using it as a stern thruster, is that you raise and lower it before use. So if you are coming into a harbour, about half a mile out, lower and you are ready to go.

Its amazingly cheap compared to just about everything else out there as there are no wires to attached to your electrical system to run it. It runs off of a rechargeable lithium battery. The manufacture claims 10 minutes run time when fully charged but even assuming that is a lie and you only get 5 minutes, that more than enough time for a single use. Most use their thrusters for a minute or less, usually less.

So the only install you do is to mount it to your swim platform, nothing else. And it is remote controlled so in my boat I would lower it (I don't own one yet) before I needed it. And even though my bow thruster isn't remote, I figured having the ability to push my stern into the dock to give me work time (handling the first line) using the remote controller would be "good enough."

Dock Star thrusters:

Shop | DockStar

Here's a video of the thrusters in use. I'm not a fan of the bow thruster visually but it works well. If you don't mind looking a bit like a dork, the system would work well for you:

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. Looks like adding a door just isn't a viable option. Perhaps my best bet is to hold out for a more traditional trawler that came with one from the factory. One of the things that I liked about the Mainship was that it doesn't come with all of that wooden exterior and the maintenance it entails.

Sailor of Fortune: I never thought of adding controls to the cockpit. Where would you even research something like that. If you are dealing with a boat that already has two sets of controls is that even possible? It must get mechanically very complicated at the throttle, shift lever and steering quadrant.

Thanks again for the opinions.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. Looks like adding a door just isn't a viable option. Perhaps my best bet is to hold out for a more traditional trawler that came with one from the factory. One of the things that I liked about the Mainship was that it doesn't come with all of that wooden exterior and the maintenance it entails.

Sailor of Fortune: I never thought of adding controls to the cockpit. Where would you even research something like that. If you are dealing with a boat that already has two sets of controls is that even possible? It must get mechanically very complicated at the throttle, shift lever and steering quadrant.

Thanks again for the opinions.
I'll add - for what it's worth - that I solo my Mainship 34. No thrusters, but I'm a good boat driver. The only time I've had to go forward on deck is in locks or when using pilings. Basically I get the cockpit to the dock, and either climb off and tie up or attach a spring and go back to the controls. It's all very doable. Long lines help, and you have to have a plan in advance. With a bow thruster it would be much easier, and with both bow and stern it'd be a non-issue, IMO.

I'll add - for what it's worth - that I solo my Mainship 34.... The only time I've had to go forward on deck is in locks or when using pilings.

Could I slip in a question here? (Answer may be useful to OP as well.)

I ask because I'm considering a boat with a layout similar to the Mainship 34. I prefer big sidedecks and helm door, but as we know, you can't have it all in one (smaller) boat. Locks would not be the mainstay of my cruising, but I would like to do the Erie/Trent/etc. at least once.

Wondering how you handle locks single-handed? I have some ideas for the bollard type, but have not as yet figured out how I would do something like the Erie Canal locks where there are just "loose" ropes dangling down (not attached at bottom).

The boat I'm considering has a bow thruster. I had already thought about a remote for that, or a cockpit station. Still noodling. But since you have done locks and have the "hardest" setup (single engine, no door/sidedecks/thruster), I'd really like to hear how you have handled things.

Thank you,
Frosty

Could I slip in a question here? (Answer may be useful to OP as well.)

Wondering how you handle locks single-handed? I have some ideas for the bollard type, but have not as yet figured out how I would do something like the Erie Canal locks where there are just "loose" ropes dangling down (not attached at bottom).

The boat I'm considering has a bow thruster. I had already thought about a remote for that, or a cockpit station. Still noodling. But since you have done locks and have the "hardest" setup (single engine, no door/sidedecks/thruster), I'd really like to hear how you have handled things.

Thank you,
Frosty

I have a system that I've refined. Did my third and fourth trip through the Rideau and third on the Trent this summer. It's fresh in my mind.

I have a stern line ready to go in the cockpit, and a bow line about ten feet aft of the bow attached to a stanchion base. I use 1/2" 30 foot dock lines that are easy to handle. The spacing between bow and stern lines is about two feet less than the distance between two cables.

I drive from the flybridge. Upbound is easy. Drive into the lock, get the cockpit against the wall next to the cable, climb down the ladder, pass the stern line around the cable, climb up and walk forward with it, make temporarily fast on midship cleat, continue forward, loop bowline through cable, walk aft to midship cleat and adjust as necessary. Feel like I can do it in my sleep. I keep a boat hook at the bow in case I have to reach for the cable, but haven't had to use it this year.

Down bound I basically jump on to the wall from the cockpit with lines in my hand and take it from there. Depending on height I may get the stern line from the cockpit first. On the Canadian canals the lock tenders will help catch you if need be. They're pretty helpful.

Last time I went through the Erie I grabbed one line and held it amidships. I always thought there was a rule about using two lines in the Canadian locks but now I'm not sure. In any case, my two line system works for me and this boat.

I have a system that I've refined. Did my third and fourth trip through the Rideau and third on the Trent this summer. It's fresh in my mind.

Great, thanks for sharing.

I drive from the flybridge. Upbound is easy. Drive into the lock, get the cockpit against the wall next to the cable, climb down the ladder, pass the stern line around the cable, climb up and walk forward with it, make temporarily fast on midship cleat, continue forward, loop bowline through cable, walk aft to midship cleat and adjust as necessary.

The part I've emboldened. Do you mean you "climb up" back to the flybridge? Or climb up onto the side decks (do you have usable side decks?). If you are doing this from the flybridge (which I thought about), then what happens when your flybridge is way above the wall once you get to the top?

Down bound I basically jump on to the wall from the cockpit with lines in my hand and take it from there.

Meaning you stay on the lock wall? Or you get the lines set up slipped and then get back on the boat (that must be it?).

On the Canadian canals the lock tenders will help catch you if need be. They're pretty helpful.

I've read that they are. The Erie canal sounds a bit tougher, both with the "loose" lines and the possibly brusquer staff (or maybe not brusque, but just not as super helpful as the Canadian lock staff).

Last time I went through the Erie I grabbed one line and held it amidships.

Did you grab it out the helm window? From the cockpit? Or from the flybridge? If from the flybridge same question about what happens when you get to the top and the wall is now well below you (if it is)?

I always thought there was a rule about using two lines in the Canadian locks but now I'm not sure. In any case, my two line system works for me and this boat.

I read that there was also. Although the single-hander who's log I was reading said that those locks were so gentle and so little lift or drop, that he secured one line (even though usually a no-no) and then tended the other one. He had requested to use only one line but they said no it had to be two.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I have read many accounts but they are either double-handed, or have side-walk like side decks, or helm doors, or both.

I meant climb out of the cockpit to the deck. Then I stay midships on deck with both bow and stern lines either in my hand or on the midship cleat.

On the Erie I'm usually midships on deck but have also done it from the flybridge a couple of times.

Once you're secured it's easy to move around and get comfortable for the lift/drop.

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time. It sounds like your side decks are of reasonable width, just with no helm door (I'll take a gander at a sister ship on YW).

OP: I hope this slight tangent was helpful to you as well.

Get a proper boat with doors (both port and starboard) readily accessible by the helmsman/skipper.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 25
  • turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
It's not easy doing things from the side deck. It's narrow, and because the deck is at the sheer line almost everything you do is below the deck, so you have to scrunch down which makes it even more awkward. Contrast that to a deck that's lower with high bulkwarks. Much easier to work from. Typically that's what you get along with the side door.

The few times I've really missed having a side door have been when retrieving my anchor. I don't have a windlass, so motoring up on the anchor is sometimes necessary. It's a long dash between the wheel and the bow.

But there's no perfect boat.

I did take a look at a Mainship 34 like yours on YW. I see what you mean about workable-but-narrow side decks (with rails!); but yeah, if you then have to bend over it makes them a bit awkward.

Some of the boats I'm considering have even narrower side decks and only grab rails above along the cabintop. Why even go there? Because as you say, it's a series of compromises, and that's one of my potential ones (another way to go would be side decks and doors, but in the same price range a boat in much worse condition).

Oh well, glad I'm lucky enough to have such problems :thumb:

Thanks again.

I just looked at a Mainship 34 MkI. I like what I saw, but as a single handed sailor I was a bit concerned by the lack of a door giving access to the side deck from the main salon steering station. As an older guy I see a lot of potential for disaster striking in the time it takes me to leave the helm, traverse the main salon, climb out of the surprisingly deep cockpit and get up along the somewhat narrow side decks to secure a line to the dock.

How did you do it?

How big a pain was it?

How much did it cost?

It can be done. I've done it on a previous boat as has a buddy. Since you are in Toronto go see Kerry at Bristol Marine in Port Credit. Kerry built most of the sliding doors on the Bruckmann Custom motoryachts. Bruckmann Yachts

PS. He drinks Crown Royal

Last edited:
It can be done. I've done it on a previous boat as has a buddy. Since you are in Toronto go see Kerry at Bristol Marine in Port Credit. Kerry built most of the sliding doors on the Bruckmann Custom motoryachts. Bruckmann Yachts

And it will probably cost 25 to 50% of the boats value...

I personally don't foresee ourselves as ever wanting to add a side door to our boat but I would really like to see pictures of a 34 classic where one has been added. I simply cant imagine it not having a profound effect on the the hulls strength after such a modification.

Adding a side door...

How did you do it?

How big a pain was it?

How much did it cost?

My advice is buy a boat that fits your needs and requirements for the type of boating you are going to do to begin with. Way to many people buy a boat they are emotionally or financially attracted to and then try to "remake and force" it to do something that wasn't initially intended. It's like marrying someone you aren't compatible with, thinking you can "change them" after you're married.

Just my opinion.

BTW, I'm really fond of Mainship boats generally, so I'm not busting on them.
I'm constantly advising people to "be brutally honest with yourself" about the type of boating you are actually going to do and what your needs and requirements are and then buy the boat that fits that description. Don't find a beautiful boat you love and then try and force it to do what you need when it wasn't designed to do that in the first place.

Again, just my advice. Good luck and happy hunting!

Designing and then adding a door would be difficult and a lot of work. Just keeping water out would be a huge challenge since many manufacturers have a hard time doing it in the initial design and manufacturing stages. I would go more the route of remote control thrusters. Many of the 34s already have a bow thruster. And adding a stern thruster is simple, I added one on our current boat in 2 days of work. Then you simply carry the remote control as you leisurely walk around. Besides the thrusters will facilitate docking with the single engine. And add value to the boat that a poorly done door will not, no aspersions on your abilities to adding the door but it will be very difficult to execute well.

The above was smartly written.
Also another mentioned remote controls near the stern. Likely opposite of the helm. Not expensive and will allow tight quarters, docking or fishing work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom