Adding a glass window and wiper in flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Aruna
Vessel Make
Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I am considering adding a panel in the center portion of my flybridge that is glass with a wiper for rain/snow, etc. I've seen a number of these done to boats and they look pretty good and appear to be pretty functional.

The front panel in question is made of some sort of super hard, but very clear plastic. I don't know what brand, as I bought the boat in the last 6 months, and this was done over a year ago.

I've contacted a local company who will make me a 24" x 24" glass window with wiper, motor, and water system. Looks pretty good price wise, and their construction looks pretty good too. They are using the following:

Welded Mitred Corners
3mm Clear Tempered Glass
Clear Anodized Aluminum Frames (Not Protected From Corrosion)
Wall Thickness For Canvas Insert

However, they don't do the install into the plastic. They recommended the usual local companies that always quote exorbitant rates and time scales approaching the absurd.

My questions are:

What should I look for in the construction of the window itself? Any concerns with the list above?

Can I do the install into the plastic window myself? I don't even have a starting point for how this is done - I assume you cut a square, but then it seems like there is fabric or some other material that would need to be sewn to the window and the plastic, or?

Pics below.

Attachments

• DSC01446.jpg
    DSC01446.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01493.jpg
    DSC01493.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom