42 Grand Bank survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skipbrian

Vessel Name
Gilaine
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
Hello all,

I am about to purchase a 42ft Grand Banks Classic from 1988. What would be the critical points to look at for this boat ?

To fellow owners of Grand Banks, are you happy with your boat?

Thanks
Brian

Welcome aboard, Brian. Yes, we're happy!

Check the steel fuel tanks for rust. Pay special attention to the top of the tanks because that's where water can leak from a poorly sealed deck filler. You'll need a mirror to be able to see them properly.

Check the decks for poorly or missing plugged screws (gazillions of 'em) and chalking between the teak. Look at the headliner inside the cabins for stains from prior leaks. Make sure window frames are competent; drain holes clear, etc.

Beyond that nothing unique to the GB line of boats.

I recommend having a well-known and competent surveyor examine the boat and systems. Have a second surveyor versed in engines. Cats? Cummins? Lehman?

Thank you guys for welcoming me.

Thanks for your input Ray. The engines are from Lehman, with 4000 hours. How many hours should one expect before major overhaul?

Thanks.

Greetings,
Mr. Skip. IF the Lehmans have been serviced and maintained in the past and continue to be, 10,000 hrs. is not unheard of. Met a couple on the waterway one time and they were on their second engine (not a Lehman but a direct replacement from American Diesel). The original engine was replaced after 20,000 hrs. This was in a 1968 Grand Banks (wood) they'd owned since new.

Hello all,

I am about to purchase a 42ft Grand Banks Classic from 1988. What would be the critical points to look at for this boat ?

To fellow owners of Grand Banks, are you happy with your boat?

Thanks
Brian

I considered one from that era until I looked at the bottom. Very serious case of the measles (blisters). Not that it couldn't have been repaired, but there were better boats on the market.

Which version of the Lehmans? The 120hp six without a turbo is rock solid, with some issues that can be managed. The 225/275hp with turbo and aftercooler has many more issues with coolers and coolant plumbing. I'd avoid the turbo versions.

Have your surveyor pull the deck plates in the engine room and check around the area where the shaft logs exit the hull. Also take a good look at the bonding of all the thru hull fittings.

Welcome aboard!

We really enjoy our woody!

Thank you guys for welcoming me.

Thanks for your input Ray. The engines are from Lehman, with 4000 hours. How many hours should one expect before major overhaul?

Thanks.

If you run your boat about 200 hours per year (your GB has averaged about 155 hours per year) you'll be fairly busy and average! It'll take you about 30 years to reach the 10,000 hours which RT mentioned. I don't know how old you are but for me, I'll either be dead or not interested in boats in 30 years...!

Last edited:
In addition to the suggestion below check the bottom inboard edges of the tanks by the propeller shaft packing glands. Water slinging on them can cause signficant corrosion there too.

Welcome aboard, Brian. Yes, we're happy!

Check the steel fuel tanks for rust. Pay special attention to the top of the tanks because that's where water can leak from a poorly sealed deck filler. You'll need a mirror to be able to see them properly.

Check the decks for poorly or missing plugged screws (gazillions of 'em) and chalking between the teak. Look at the headliner inside the cabins for stains from prior leaks. Make sure window frames are competent; drain holes clear, etc.

Beyond that nothing unique to the GB line of boats.

I recommend having a well-known and competent surveyor examine the boat and systems. Have a second surveyor versed in engines. Cats? Cummins? Lehman?

When doing the sea trial, be aware that you may not reach the rated WOT of 2500 RPM. This is because many older GB's came from the factory overpropped. Some owners have corrected them and some, like me, just left it alone.

Thank you guys for all the great tips.

Ski_in_NC: the engines are 120HP naturally aspirated, so what are the issues that can be managed, that you are referring to ?

I purchased a 1990 GB 42 classic last year,

The biggest issue I have is the pluming, I need to change a lot of the water hoses for the fresh water system, but it is a very nice boat and we are extremely happy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom