303 confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I have never used 303 but want to get some to use. Simple right? I see there is a myriad of different types of 303. Are they really different? I want it primarily for things like my RIB, shore power cords, flybridge helm seat, vinyl cushions, fenders, etc...

I also would like to use it on my exterior canvas (Sunbrella). However I see that there is a specific 303 product for canvas. Are they really different or is it different marketing?

I have never used 303 but want to get some to use. Simple right? I see there is a myriad of different types of 303. Are they really different? I want it primarily for things like my RIB, shore power cords, flybridge helm seat, vinyl cushions, fenders, etc...

I also would like to use it on my exterior canvas (Sunbrella). However I see that there is a specific 303 product for canvas. Are they really different or is it different marketing?

There are only two type like hat I'm aware of.

One for vinyl, plastic, etc. And one for fabrics like Sunbrella.

I also am only aware of two 303 products. One for fabric and one for plastic. I use thhe one for plastic routinely, the fabric coating product seems to be mostly effective as a waterproofing agent.

I use both.
The 303 Fabric for the canvas pieces aboard.

The other 303 for anything else.
I don't know if they are different, they do smell different, but to me it's not worth the risk as the canvas would be a lot of work and $$ to replace.

It was very commonly used on the dacron sailcloth wings of ultralight aircraft. I used it for that .... UV protection. I have perhaps a gallon left over but own no sailcloth and it's old. Could be I'll never use my rubber duckie again so ?? Didn't even think to put it on the duckie.

Mine was called "AP 303 Protectant".

Last edited:
+1 on 303. I leave an outrigger canoe that sits in the water year long, and hit it with the stuff every couple months. It's sunscreen properties work well.

For a moment I thought this was a gun thread, the 303 being is a famous now very outdated rifle.

Dave
Take a look in the Library - Misc section - I posted a file on SUnbrella Cleaning & Care that includes comments re: 303
There are 2 different products - they are both good products IMHO - and the fabric guard is recommended by the maker of SUnbrella. It is important to use them on the material intended and avoid overspray
The 303 Aerospace Treatment intended for Rubber, Vinyl, etc will remove water repellent properties from fabrics and
The 303 Fabric Guard will remove plasticizers from vinyl and make them brittle

I included comments from the 303 tech rep that I talked to and learned a lot from... (what I was doing wrong!) There are some tricks to using 303 fabric guard that does improve performance.

It is best to treat the fabric suspended - on a bimini frame or other frame or w/ bungees supporting the fabric - e.g. don't lay it over a picnic table
Also works much better in HOT temperatures - 90* is good and wants to be in the full sun. Also bring the container our from garage / basement and let sit in sun to warm up.
Spray Light coats that evaporate almost instantly is better than one heavy / soaking coat (brush roller not as good a spray) I use a good quality spray bottle w/ adjustable nozzle set for a fine mist spray.

Let me know if any questions remain

Last edited:
Used for years and it works, but as stated ensure the product and surface are hot. I found that a garden sprayer works best.

OK, I looked for the article on 303 in the library but can't find it. Anyone have a linky to the page?

OK, I looked for the article on 303 in the library but can't find it. Anyone have a linky to the page?

Mike
It is in the Misc category - titled - SUnbrella Cleaning & Care
I'll attach a PDF here

Attachments

• Sunbrella Care - Cleaning & Retreatment.pdf
    460.8 KB · Views: 163
Thanks Don. I read it and saved it to my computer. Lots of good info in there.

I don't have a lot of Sunbrella on the boat. Only the seat covers in the cockpit and on the fly bridge are Sunbrella. The bimini's are Stamoid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom