1976 Fales Seeker Pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5

Veteran Member
Been looking for a trawler for extended leisurely cruising: Grand banks 23, Albin 25 & 27..
Went to tour a Fales 33 motor sailor liked but it got away!

I found this 1976 Fales Seeker Pilothouse located in St Augustine, Florida on boat trader. But it looks to need several repairs. I’m some what handy but don’t have a place to work on it and may need some help.

Is anyone aware of a good yard on the Florida east coast to renovate this old boat?

Is this old boat worth the time and money required to bring back to good shape?

What is a fair price for a boat like this?
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1976-fales-seeker-pilothouse--8478046/

Interesting history on the Fales. It was originally the Willard 30 Searcher model. Willard was to collaborate with an east coast builder to construct and market the boat. Best I can tell, the builder was to pay Willard a royalty for each hull built.

The partnership didn't last long. The builder stretched the hull and reconfigured somewhat and ceased royalty payments.

So you are looking at essentially a Willard 30 with full displacement and a few thousand lbs ballast. Top speed might be 7 kts, cruising speed a smidgen over 6 kts burning around 0.75 gph. She probably carries 100 gals diesel in saddle tanks outboard of the Perkins. And 100 gals water beneath the aft deck (which is a decent storage garage, btw)

$27k seems fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for quite a bit less. A 45 year old small boat showing DIY and liveaboard maintenance can have a hard time finding a home. 6500 engine hours is getting up there, but may mean she's a smooth runner. It wouldn't scare me - probably intrigue me as it means the boat has been used, perhaps Bahamas. But I would use the relatively high engine hours to justify an offer.

Compared to a GB32, I'd take the Fales hands-down for one reason: exterior teak. The Fales has a wood caprail (likely teak), a few cabinet doors, and that's it. The GB with it's transom has more initial stability than the round-bottomed displacement Fales.

On any boat this age, steel tanks need inspection as does rot around interior of windows. The engine in the Fales is pretty far forward which means it has a long prop shaft and likely has at least one carrier bearing. These have a tendency to rust and require shaft to be pulled to replace. Can turn into a Pandoras box project. Also, the stuffing box on my 1972 Willard Searcher was difficult to access and suffered from neglect, but my Searcher had the head compartment aft meaning atuffing box was accessed via a small cabinet so may not be an issue for the Fales.

I didn't see any pictures of electronics. The original Willard 30s had cable steering which was fine, but difficult to adapt an autopilot. I converted mine to hydraulic when I owned her in the 1990s.

Final caution if you inspect the boat is to check concrete ballast. Concrete ballast is decent but does not do well with prolonged submersion. Many owners of all boats tolerate wet bilges which is okay even for concrete, but if left with standing water for years, the steel punching used for weight will rust and swell which pulverizes the concrete.

These are simple boats. Would be a nice boat to run to thr Bahamas. A bit slow, but a nice boat. I lived aboard my 1972 Searcher when I met my now-wife. We cruised the hell out of her in San Francisco Bay, Delta, and a few coastal trips to nearby destinations. We fell in love on that boat.

Feel free to PM me with any other qurstioms. Also the Willard Boat Owners group on groups.io has some limited info on files. May have a more accurate history than I portrayed above, albeit from the viewpoint of Willard Marine.

Good luck in your search.

Peter

Seems to be a bit overpriced, but you can work that out.

Three things jump out at me, they are not big issues in fact they are just little things that "bug" me.

Seems awfully cluttered, was it a liveaboard?

What did they do with all those lines hanging on the rail?

I hate to see home air conditioners sticking through a bulkhead, but that is just me.

pete

Seems to be a bit overpriced, but you can work that out.

Three things jump out at me, they are not big issues in fact they are just little things that "bug" me.

Seems awfully cluttered, was it a liveaboard?

What did they do with all those lines hanging on the rail?

I hate to see home air conditioners sticking through a bulkhead, but that is just me.

pete

Pete - I noticed all those items. I concluded she is/was a liveaboard. Not always a bad thing, but can be (my opinion, of course --- as a past liveaboard).

The home AC - unlike my old Willard 30 Searcher, the model this was based on, there appears to be a companionway from the pilothouse to the flybridge. The AC appears to have been stuck into that companionway so no DIY surgery to the boat, a really good thing. BTW - that companioway would be nearly useless. Given the climate of St Augustine, I might be inclined to keep the AC despite finding them totally obnoxious on a small boat.

I could not see all the lines - someone spent some money on stainless steel a while back. The dinghy davits are a nice add-on. I wonder what's up with the OB month though. Get-home propulsion?

Peter

I looked at a sister ship many years ago. I liked the design then, and still do.

My recollection is that access to fuel tanks is very limited. The boat I inspected had extensive deck issues. Fales boats were built by TPI, and they were always big into coring. I'd be on alert for coring issues, but that's a concern with lots of old boats. I saw another Fales boat later that seemed very solid.

If you can live with a hard cap ~6 knots and the boat passes a survey it's very much worth putting some TLC into, IMO. Not sure on pricing. Some of these boats are getting pretty tired and aren't worth much. Compare equipment and condition and current usage to your use case, and remember that repairs and remediation always costs more than 3x what you think it should.

Woody5; Is anyone aware of a good yard on the Florida east coast to renovate this old boat? Is this old boat worth the time and money required to bring back to good shape? What is a fair price for a boat like this? [url said:
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1976-fales-seeker-pilothouse--8478046/[/url]

1. Not familiar with the area
2. Nope - never is sez the 1976 Viking owner.
3. $25k? assuming a decent survey. You're into good used work truck price territory.

Understand that you better have $$ or enjoy working on the boat as much as underway. In truth, friends with much newer equipment seem to have as many mtc issues as my old girl. In this price range, you just have to want it.

Understand that you better have $$ or enjoy working on the boat as much as underway. In truth, friends with much newer equipment seem to have as many mtc issues as my old girl. In this price range, you just have to want it.

Very well said....

The main unknown expense in the boat are the very old steel tanks. Replacement at present boat yard prices could cost as much as the boat. A surveyor cannot check those tanks because they are sealed behind panels. If you feel lucky go for it.

I had to replace similar tanks in my Willard 30. The cost about six years ago was $23,000. But I was not in the area to supervise the work and probably got screwed.

Was your Puffin this one? Hull #15?

Attachments

• Puffin.jpg
    Puffin.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 12
My Puffin was a later model. There are several W30's named Puffin. My boat is (was) the one on the cover page of the Willard boat Owners site. She sits in front of a large iceberg

Back
Top Bottom