Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
My dock neighbor last winter in Fort Myers used a method described at www.Stardistributing.com that utilized their Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer to repair a mess of rotten core on an old Chris 57. Took him two weekends by himself. This fall the boat passed survey and was sold to a new owner and so far no problems, worth a look!

timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: cincinnati
Vessel Name: deja vu
Vessel Model: 1987 senator 35 sundeck
deck rot

in regards to your soft decks and repairing them. I have a similar problem on my flybridge. I plan to get all the rotten wood out and recore the deck . that way I know it is right and will outlast me. wondering why you don't want to fix it right the first time ? you already have the deck cut out, why not remove the rotten plywood and replace it ? I have spoken with andy at boatworkstoday.com and have watched his videos on recoring a deck. seems like a good winter project.

tn6437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #23

City: Black Creek
Vessel Name: Ttssang
Vessel Model: 1974 Roughwater 35
I am replacing the plywood core. The part that I'm repairing with Clear Penetrating Epoxy sealer is the top section of the 2 x 6 frame below the plywood core that had some area's of rot. I'm in the process of drying it all out before I can seal and fill it, then I'll install the new core. This has turned out to be a bigger project than I'd planned, I'm also still working on the window frames and have removed some of the plywood and past repairs, I'm almost to the point of starting to put it back together. I'll post some updated pics soon. Thanks
Ttsaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #24

City: Richmond
Hi Ttsaang:

Just checking in to see how you have been getting on with the window resealing. I am going to try to reseal the pilothouse sliding windows on my RW41. It looks like they have to be removed from the outside, which means first removing the teak window surround. It will be tricky getting that out in less than 10 pieces so I am looking for a source of replacement material. Have you come across this in your efforts and if so, what was your solution?

Thanks,

Mike (Richmond, BC)
Twosheds53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Folks that have only a small area to repair can use most any epoxy if it is cut with alcohol.

The alcohol "chases" the water bringing the epoxy with it. Extra hardener is required to cure the epoxy .

And as always a detergent scrub is needed to loose the hardener after it has set.

This is how folks made their own Git Rot in past times.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck rot, re-bedding, wood window frame