Old 12-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Alexseal Roll no Tip

Hi. I have some paint work to do. Can someone who has use Alexseal paint recently since 2020 tell me about the paint job:

More specifically, what roller did you use? Per the factory spec you can use a "High Density Foam Solvent Resistant" roller. Which brand of rollers will work with Alexseal, who has painted with Alexseal. I'm looking high and low and cannot seem to find Solvent Resistant rollers. And those rollers which claim to be do not have good reviews.

Also looking for the East or South coast rep for Alexseal. I'm looking to talk with someone who has used the new Alexseal A5018 Additive for rolling, which pops the bubbles. Hoping they can share their experience. I have watched Andy's Boat Works video's. Andy is not a fan of foam rollers. With the mohair 1/8" rollers you can get hair or stipples in the paint to some degree. I'm trying to avoid this.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks. John
Old 12-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would call Alexseal. They will know what they think is best. I would use exactly what they specify.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

I have sent an email and called Alexseal. Hoping that someone who has used the product recently could share their experience.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Please share if you find out.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
I painted my boat with Alexseal this year using the no tip additive.

I used these rollers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168S0NAE

I tried the Mohair rollers that Andy uses and no matter how much or how hard I tried rolling them on tape, they left hairs in the paint. A boat yard neighbor used them and resorted to having a 'waste' panel that they'd use the roller on initially to get as much of the hair off before using it on the real surface.

Foam rollers do make more bubbles initially. My technique was to apply to an area, and then use a no pressure roll over the area to smooth it out. The additive takes care of the rest, I didn't have any areas where bubbles were an issue. The rollers are indeed 'resistant' to the chemicals and last about 30 minutes before needing replaced. They swell in size and if you keep going with them long enough they could start to come apart, but I never had that happen.

The most difficult part is seeing what you are doing. The first coat on fresh primer is easy, and it turns out beautiful. It's super easy to see where you have been and when you have good, even coverage. Each coat gets harder to see with wet shiny paint on the same color background and after it's all dry you can look at it from lots of angles you start to see dry spots or small runs. Lots of light, looking at it in reflections as you go, and a spotter help mitigate those issues.

I used cheap home depot rollers both 4" and 6" for the primer phase. It gets sanded anyways so no need to spend money on expensive rollers there. The foam rollers did not like the epoxy based primers at all.

Conditions need to be good for best results. Painting outdoors is very difficult because you need to keep the sun off it and the wind off of it, the paint flashes much too fast if it's got a breeze on it and doesn't lay down in that condition. You'll want to tent areas before you paint. Cooler temperatures worked better for me. High humidity is a problem and must be avoided, high enough and the paint will dry flat, I had that happen once. Indoors would be ideal.

I have some photos and details in my refit thread, start about page 7 for some painting pictures.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...t-49395-8.html
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #6

Alexseal: Roll no tip: Rollers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
I painted my boat with Alexseal this year using the no tip additive.

I used these rollers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168S0NAE

I tried the Mohair rollers that Andy uses and no matter how much or how hard I tried rolling them on tape, they left hairs in the paint. A boat yard neighbor used them and resorted to having a 'waste' panel that they'd use the roller on initially to get as much of the hair off before using it on the real surface.

Foam rollers do make more bubbles initially. My technique was to apply to an area, and then use a no pressure roll over the area to smooth it out. The additive takes care of the rest, I didn't have any areas where bubbles were an issue. The rollers are indeed 'resistant' to the chemicals and last about 30 minutes before needing replaced. They swell in size and if you keep going with them long enough they could start to come apart, but I never had that happen.

The most difficult part is seeing what you are doing. The first coat on fresh primer is easy, and it turns out beautiful. It's super easy to see where you have been and when you have good, even coverage. Each coat gets harder to see with wet shiny paint on the same color background and after it's all dry you can look at it from lots of angles you start to see dry spots or small runs. Lots of light, looking at it in reflections as you go, and a spotter help mitigate those issues.

I used cheap home depot rollers both 4" and 6" for the primer phase. It gets sanded anyways so no need to spend money on expensive rollers there. The foam rollers did not like the epoxy based primers at all.

Conditions need to be good for best results. Painting outdoors is very difficult because you need to keep the sun off it and the wind off of it, the paint flashes much too fast if it's got a breeze on it and doesn't lay down in that condition. You'll want to tent areas before you paint. Cooler temperatures worked better for me. High humidity is a problem and must be avoided, high enough and the paint will dry flat, I had that happen once. Indoors would be ideal.

I have some photos and details in my refit thread, start about page 7 for some painting pictures.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...t-49395-8.html
SBman,

Thank you so much for your reply. Just what I was looking for. Someone who had used the current Alexseal product. We have a Tollycraft 44 which is similar to your boat. Only a bit newer. Great job and thanks for posting all the details. It will help. As I thought the foam rollers are good for about 30 minutes. I did a 60' aluminum mast with the Redtree Mohair rollers, and did not like how the primer came out. Looked like a basketball after two coats. Had to sand it off. But that's another story.

Is the Uniflight an Ed Monk design? What was your color choice? Please send me a PM I would love to talk off line. I promise not to take a ton of time.

John
Old 12-30-2021, 05:41 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Have rolled and tipped with other brands and found the best brush is a very good new varnish brush.

Hurts to lay out $40.00 or so , but there IS a difference.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Have rolled and tipped with other brands and found the best brush is a very good new varnish brush.

Hurts to lay out $40.00 or so , but there IS a difference.
Not having to tip at all is even easier. $40 for a brush is insignificant within the scope of a paint job and getting the best brush for the job would certainly be worth it.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alexseal, foam rollers, roll and tip, two part paint