1 1/4*sanitation hose ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichardM

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stinkpot
Vessel Make
1985 Hatteras MY 48 - 6V92TA
Hi forum, I’m replacing all my sanitation hoses on our boat using Raritan Sani-Flex. They are all 1 1/2 inch hoses except the holding tank vent that is 1 1/4 inch. I’m having trouble finding the right hose. Raritan don’t seem to have that size. Also checked for Trident 101/102 but no luck. Trident 250/100 is available in 1 1/4 inch size and seems to be good for sanitation but not sure how good? It’s more of a wet exhaust hose and is very stiff.

Any idea what would be the equivalent in quality that I could find in 1 1/4 size?

Thanks for your input

Maybe upgrade the vent to 1.5”? Uniseal has fittings to put on the tank.

If Peggie "Headmistress" doesn't chime in you might want to PM her. She is the TF expert on anything head related. I know she has 1 or 2 revommended hoses but don't recall which ones. Bestbyo get it direct.

If Peggie "Headmistress" doesn't chime in you might want to PM her. She is the TF expert on anything head related. I know she has 1 or 2 revommended hoses but don't recall which ones. Bestbyo get it direct.

I was hoping she would chime in too [emoji23]

Maybe upgrade the vent to 1.5”? Uniseal has fittings to put on the tank.

That’s an option but a lot more work. My through hull and the tank fitting are Bronze fitting. It’s a keel fiberglass tank. Access is limited too for replacing the through hull.

Hi forum, I’m replacing all my sanitation hoses on our boat using Raritan Sani-Flex. They are all 1 1/2 inch hoses except the holding tank vent that is 1 1/4 inch. I’m having trouble finding the right hose. Raritan don’t seem to have that size. Also checked for Trident 101/102 but no luck. Trident 250/100 is available in 1 1/4 inch size and seems to be good for sanitation but not sure how good? It’s more of a wet exhaust hose and is very stiff.

Any idea what would be the equivalent in quality that I could find in 1 1/4 size?

Thanks for your input

PVC swimming pool and hot tub hose. Flexible, but smooth inside. Ace Hardware.

Are you using the ID (inner diameter) or the OD (outer diameter) to determine vent line hose size? Nominal hose sizes always use the ID...which would make your vent line a 1" hose. It also indicates that a PO "upgraded" the vent line from the standard 5/8" size. Check the vent thru-hull...it won't be a "vent" thru-hull 'cuz those are only available in 5/8", which is the standard size for all tank vents--water and fuel....they're designed to keep sea water out of the fuel and water tanks. Boat builders use them on waste tanks too because it costs 'em less to use the same thru-hull on all tanks. A larger vent allows more air exchange, needed to promote the aerobic environment in the tank necessary to prevent odor out the vent. If he did it right, the thru-hull will be an open bulkhead or "mushroom" fitting--the same type as your sink and bilge pump thru-hulls. These have another advantage: the ability to prevent vent blockages by putting a hose nozzle against them to back flush the vent line every time you wash the boat. Anything that's tried to set up housekeeping in the vent line just gets a water slide ride into the tank.

I would not use spa/swimming pool hose...even though no sewage SHOULD pass through a vent hose, gasses do and will permeate spa hose almost as quickly as it does when used to carry sewage, something owners who've tried to save money by using it have learned the hard way.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Are you using the ID (inner diameter) or the OD (outer diameter) to determine vent line hose size? Nominal hose sizes always use the ID...which would make your vent line a 1" hose.

I would not use spa/swimming pool hose...even though no sewage SHOULD pass through a vent hose, gasses do and will permeate spa hose very quickly.

--Peggie

It is a big vent. 1 1/4 inch is the I.D. Of the hose.

I had a similar situation with a very old vacuflush head that was an odd ball size for which no hose exists. I ended up using an exhaust tubing stretcher that is used to make a flange in steel exhaust pipe to stretch the hose with plenty hot water do s standard size sanitation hose would fit.

It was a huge hassle.

I would not use spa/swimming pool hose...even though no sewage SHOULD pass through a vent hose, gasses do and will permeate spa hose almost as quickly as it does when used to carry sewage, something owners who've tried to save money by using it have learned the hard way.

--Peggie

Well that's odd, I've used hard PVC with PVC flex hose for some connections for 16 years with zero permeation . None....nada. Some of it is from dairy milk storage handling, the rest is spa hose (both inexpensive). That said, there are no low spots anywhere in the black water system. I have yet to read anything from users about this "issue".

Go 2 Marine Website shows they have Trident Sanitation hose 1.25 ID! price + shipping seems okay. Just bought hardwall engine intake hose for our genset--fast delivery. Will use them again

Go 2 Marine Website shows they have Trident Sanitation hose 1.25 ID! price + shipping seems okay. Just bought hardwall engine intake hose for our genset--fast delivery. Will use them again
Consider the Raritan Saniflex hose. Much more flexible and longer lasting as to permeability.

Consider the Raritan Saniflex hose. Much more flexible and longer lasting as to permeability.

Thanks. That’s what I’m using everywhere. Except they don’t have the 1 1/4 inch for my vent …

Adapt up to 1.5" or down to 1.0".
Use good quality ftgs.

Include 32mm hose in ur search.
Im fixing up a metric boat and had to expand my horizons. [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom