Yet another refrigerator question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
I learn a lot asking these questions here, so once again...
American Tug uses a Nova Kool fridge on the 395. Although by all accounts it is a well made unit that has excellent factory support I find it...well...a little ugly!

It fits the space well and they do use some stainless panels in the doors which dresses it up a bit but...

I have asked if they would install a Vitrifrigo door/drawer model instead.
They will but I would have to live with a 1" or so narrower step/entryway to the pilot house and we would have to move the fridge up into the space occupied by the microwave. This would also eliminate a little carpeted bowl like space behind the helm seat that is provided for binoculars...
We don't want a microwave anyway so that doesn't bother us.

The Nova Kool uses a single BD-35 compressor for both fridge and freezer section whereas the Vitrifrigo uses two separate BD units, one for fridge and one for freezer. The VF looks a lot more modern (better) and uses a door for the fridge and a drawer for the freezer. The freezer on the VF is larger and I believe the fridge is a bit larger too...

seadrawer-dw250

Nova Kool 8220
http://novakool.com/products/two_doors/documents/TWODOORFRIDGEFREEZERSfullline2011_003.pdf

Any thoughts?

Bruce

While I have no direct experience with a marine app, my experience with a dual compressor Vestfrost at home is positive all the way. Much more energy efficient and a lot quieter.

I know I would go with dual compressor machine if I was in your deck shoes.

While I have no direct experience with a marine app, my experience with a dual compressor Vestfrost at home is positive all the way. Much more energy efficient and a lot quieter.

I know I would go with dual compressor machine if I was in your deck shoes.

I will have to research the idea of dual vs single compressors. The obvious benefit is that you can have each box at the precise temperature you wish...

This is a picture of the current 395 with the Nova Kool...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 67
I like your VF choice!

That being said, if you weren't going to have a microwave, that space would make a nice cabinet. Most boats <40' lack sufficient galley storage, IMO.

Ted

As I've stated many times, I really like the Vitrifrigo.
The temps are so constant, 37 to 39 F at lowest setting and freezer 3 F always.

Both compressors use about 5Ax12Vx24hours = 1700 watts per 24 hours

Make sure you get 12/24/120/240 even if you think you will never use it.

I like your VF choice!

That being said, if you weren't going to have a microwave, that space would make a nice cabinet. Most boats <40' lack sufficient galley storage, IMO.

Ted

There is tons of space on this boat! Really...
Of course we are accustomed to a sailboat so...
Bruce

There is tons of space on this boat! Really...

Bruce
One of the first 10 rules of boating:

Stuff expands to fill available space. Really... ;)

Ted

Sounds like a good option Bruce. I would like a drawer freezer much better than one with a door (We have a NovaKool on our boat). Two compressors should give you much better temp control and possibly even less power usuage. So, if you are SURE that you want to delete the microwave, I don't think the 1" narrower steps to the PH will be a problem as there is plenty of space on the AT.

FWIW, I would never do the microwave delete. But then if I was going to spend that much money, I would likely buy this instead. Different boats for different folks.

Sounds like a good option Bruce. I would like a drawer freezer much better than one with a door (We have a NovaKool on our boat). Two compressors should give you much better temp control and possibly even less power usuage. So, if you are SURE that you want to delete the microwave, I don't think the 1" narrower steps to the PH will be a problem as there is plenty of space on the AT.

FWIW, I would never do the microwave delete. But then if I was going to spend that much money, I would likely buy this instead. Different boats for different folks.

We are really not interested in a boat bigger than 40'...and we really like the fact that the American Tug is a US built vessel.
That North Pacific Trawler looks like a lovely boat too and they do make a number of smaller models but...

As for the microwave, we don't even have one in our house! We've no use for one... We have one on our Sabre and I think we have used it one time in 11 years. I'm pretty sure it is not a mistake for us to delete it from our boat.
Someday when we sell this boat, someone can add on if they choose.
Thanks,
Bruce

Our NovaKool fridges have wood-face panel inserts.

Separate compressors for the two compartments would be useful... but even our larger fridge is probably too small to make that worth while. It's probably less than half the size of the one pictured...

-Chris

I have a NK R5810 on the truck on its way to my house. It requires 30 sq inches of venting to allow adequate cooling. Of course, not all models have the same requirement, but it would be good to look into it before committing...you probably already have.

Currently, I'm thinking through the fridge venting on my boat that I'll follow up on in a new thread. I think I've found a simple solution that's aesthetic and effective.

I have a NK R5810 on the truck on its way to my house. It requires 30 sq inches of venting to allow adequate cooling. Of course, not all models have the same requirement, but it would be good to look into it before committing...you probably already have.

Currently, I'm thinking through the fridge venting on my boat that I'll follow up on in a new thread. I think I've found a simple solution that's aesthetic and effective.

I love exploring these subjects...of course when purchasing a new boat you count on the manufacturer to get these details right. When I asked the people at AT about making the change, the first thing they mentioned was the ventilation of the condenser...
Bruce

We have Vitrifrigo and are very pleased.

Your response seems to be what the majority (everybody?) says about Vitrifrigo.
It is looking as though the odds are it is a good unit. It is good looking too!
Bruce

Your response seems to be what the majority (everybody?) says about Vitrifrigo.
It is looking as though the odds are it is a good unit. It is good looking too!
Bruce

Seems the only question is do you want to change everything else enough to accommodate it.

As for the microwave, we don't even have one in our house! We've no use for one...
Bruce

That right there is why you don't think you need one. Not having one at home means you're living like we all did prior to the 70-80s. Once you have one however, you realise just how quick and convenient they are, and do away for having to fire up the stove, be it gas or electric, for those myriad of quick heat requiring things. FWIW, we have no AC on board when out, and cook on gas, so have no microwave, but of all the items that require AC that we have sometimes wished we had, it's a microwave.

But you need to have one at home to learn just how convenient they would be on the boat. Like Dave says, I strongly urge a re-think doing away with it if there is one there, or a special space for one. We went as far as getting a small inverter that could run a small one, but the decision to sell occurred before we got the microwave. (Actually the decision to sell is currently under review due to a plan change). Sure, on a yacht, one lives differently, so I can understand not using it. Now you are in a whole different style of water living... :popcorn:

Wifey B: No nuking? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

No leftovers? It's really the only way to warm them. No canned or frozen veggies? How do you heat them? No precooked food or frozen? I'm sooooooooooooo confused. When I was a child we didn't have one. Do you still do coffee in an old fashioned percolator? Do you do toast in the over having no toaster or toaster oven? I've got it. You're playing that game where you go back to the 1800's and life like settlers and pioneers? Nope, not that. Boat's too nice. It's ok. Whatever makes you happy. I just didn't know there were still people who didn't. I learn something every day. :););)

Wifey B: No nuking? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

No leftovers? It's really the only way to warm them. No canned or frozen veggies? How do you heat them? No precooked food or frozen? I'm sooooooooooooo confused. When I was a child we didn't have one. Do you still do coffee in an old fashioned percolator? Do you do toast in the oven having no toaster or toaster oven? I've got it. You're playing that game where you go back to the 1800's and life like settlers and pioneers? Nope, not that. Boat's too nice. It's ok. Whatever makes you happy. I just didn't know there were still people who didn't. I learn something every day. :););)

Wifey B, I'm with you on this. It's not too late for us to introduce Bruce B & his crew to the joys of the wonder of the age.

However, as an aside, and I've been meaning to raise this before but kept forgetting. Why don't you just join up under your own avatar..? I'm sure you would come up with a series of very interesting ones. It would also make it more clear who we were responding to. You, or BandB your crew. Maybe you need to drop a loud hint about how nice it would be to be surprised with the latest iPad, or similar..? Feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but it works well with another couple who have recently come on...I refer to Star 0210 and Starsman. Just a thought..? :popcorn: :D

Wifey B, I'm with you on this. It's not too late for us to introduce Bruce B & his crew to the joys of the wonder of the age.

However, as an aside, and I've been meaning to raise this before but kept forgetting. Why don't you just join up under your own avatar..? I'm sure you would come up with a series of very interesting ones. It would also make it more clear who we were responding to. You, or BandB your crew. Maybe you need to drop a loud hint about how nice it would be to be surprised with the latest iPad, or similar..? Feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but it works well with another couple who have recently come on...I refer to Star 0210 and Starsman. Just a thought..? :popcorn: :D

Wifey B: We've done it the other way elsewhere and worked lousy, was a pain too as sometimes we're just sitting together and too lazy to use our own tablets. We try to make it clear but we'll reconsider.

Oh, my interesting avatars wouldn't be allowed....:D

As to tablets and such, we have sort of plenty, like excess, but iPad's only for testing the competition's product, not for use. Most of what we do here is on a Samsung Tablet. We use Android mostly, a bit of Windows on Surfaces.

Now bed time. Well, not bed time, we've been in bed. Sleep time. :)

I did not mean for my comments on a microwave to turn into an invention for Bruce. Nothing wrong with going without a microwave.

Wifey B: We've done it the other way elsewhere and worked lousy, was a pain too as sometimes we're just sitting together and too lazy to use our own tablets. We try to make it clear but we'll reconsider.

Oh, my interesting avatars wouldn't be allowed....:D

Fair enough, but please do consider it, because I know others have expressed similar preferences, and it would be nice to be more certain exactly who we are responding to, and who will be the initial recipient of what we send. No biggie, but just thought I'd raise it... ;)
PS> I think we are broadminded enough to cope with your avatar...just as long as... :nonono:

You people seem to think having a microwave is enlightening?
Wow!
Remember, we have had one for 11 years on our current boat! It is a waste of space for us! We used to have one at home but gave it away...
I haven't eaten frozen vegetables voluntarily in years now and if I did I'd just steam them.
Now, if that upsets you, I'm sorry. You can have another pop tart with your Nescafé to make up for it! I'm getting up now, starting my steel cut oatmeal and making coffee in our MoccaMaster coffee maker. I'm looking forward to real food!

If you are really, really upset, there is plenty of space for a microwave somewhere on the boat. 15 years from now, when we decide to sell, you can add the newest version back aboard!

Here is a picture of me cooking a coconut lime shrimp risotto dish... No microwave and no frozen vegetables involved! Yes it was awesome!
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 64
You stick to your guns Bruce. It is possible to manage without, for sure... :peace::iagree::cool:

You people seem to think having a microwave is enlightening?

Wifey B: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. :D Being near one can be like a spiritual awakening? ;) Yes, those waves rushing through your body.

I just think I like mine. Nothing more or less. However, I do also think many who haven't used them, and not saying you, have never explored their best uses. There are some dishes that can be prepared well and quickly in one. Now, we're like many people, that our number one usage is warming leftovers. We do have a lot of leftovers and by using a microwave we don't let them go to waste like we might otherwise.

Now, guess I'll go stand by the microwave and wait for the enlightening. :D

Wifey B: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. :D Being near one can be like a spiritual awakening? ;) Yes, those waves rushing through your body. ...
Now, guess I'll go stand by the microwave and wait for the enlightening. :D

Sigh,
This is what happens when I combine a couple of Manhattans last night and a hasty response before I'm fully awake the next morning!
I promise to be more discerning of my word choices in the future!
Yours truly,
Bruce the enlightened!

Last edited:
I love exploring these subjects...of course when purchasing a new boat you count on the manufacturer to get these details right. When I asked the people at AT about making the change, the first thing they mentioned was the ventilation of the condenser...
Bruce

We have a VF double drawer fridge and like it...they are quiet.
Sone VF models have an optional vent fan to provide more air for the condenser...not sure if that model has one std or optional but I'd add it if not std it will help reduce run time.

Sigh,
This is what happens when I combine a couple of Manhattans last night and a hasty response before I'm fully awake the next morning!
Yours truly,
Bruce the enlightened!

Wifey B: Don't be more discerning. Without a set up line, I can't tease. :)

I found your enlightenment humorous. :D

Now, we're like many people, that our number one usage is warming leftovers. We do have a lot of leftovers and by using a microwave we don't let them go to waste like we might otherwise.

Warming leftovers, thawing frozen stuff, and popcorn.

We often cook at least twice as much as one meal would require, at least the main course, so we purposely create leftovers for later use.

-Chris

"so we purposely create leftovers for later use."

The only thing better than leftovers is leftovers someone else cooked!

Take home!

So sex the bride.

Sigh,
Yours truly,
Bruce the enlightened!

Strange you should drink some Manhattans, as that is in fact what the boat in their avatar is...is there some deep and meaningful link there..?
Sunseeker Manhattan 65 Luxury Yacht For Sale | West Nautical
:whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom