Wiper Motor Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's weird is that the current shaft is 3", but a lot of the replacements I see at Defender and Jamestown are either 2.5" and 3.5". Need to decide if I go shorter or longer.

By looking at the angle you have shorter would be my choice.

As long as the shaft is long enough to go through the bulkhead! Because of the way my Krogen windows are built, I had to get the longest ones made, and put a wooden block outside so the arms would clear the exterior window frames.

With A&M and I would guess most replacement arms a few pennies extra will get a spray setup that can be usefu to keep the salt from drying and then scratching the glass.

RESULTS!

TBH, I kind of obsessed too much over the install. The original wiper (singular) had only one speed, I felt compelled to hook the new ones up with both speeds... AND... the self parking feature. It cost me a few hours of precious autopilot install time. *sigh* Still, I (and especially Bess) am(are) happy with the results. In hindsight, I should have gotten the 2.5" shafts instead of the 3.5" because the pantographic stand-off connection point is not at the same level as the arm attached to the drive motor. I believe that is why I have slightly uneven sweep radius. (goes a little long one way, but perfect the other. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. I'll have to get over it because perfection is the arch enemy of good enough.

Finally, the center window was not optimal for a wiper. The window swings up to nearly 90 degrees, and while the wipers DO swing out, it's not designed to swing for a window, just for cleaning and removal. Anyone want to buy my new motor I bought to put there?

Attached is a video I made for Bess (OF THE WIPERS! get your mind out of the gutter you perverts :rofl: ):

New Wipers - YouTube

I should have gotten the 2.5" shafts instead of the 3.5" because the pantographic stand-off connection point is not at the same level as the arm attached to the drive motor. I believe that is why I have slightly uneven sweep radius. (goes a little long one way, but perfect the other.

Tom,

The way to fix that on your is to get a piece of Starboard and cut our a pillow block for under the pantograph mount. Mount the pillow block then mount the pantograph. I have some in the dock box at my boat. Easy fix.

The way to fix that on your is to get a piece of Starboard and cut our a pillow block for under the pantograph mount. Mount the pillow block then mount the pantograph. I have some in the dock box at my boat. Easy fix.

Rochepoint has teak blocks over the wiper shafts to space the wiper arm out so it does not hit the window frame. Is this what your are calling "pillow Blocks"?

Attachments

• Wiper.jpg
    Wiper.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 390
I have the same thing on my Krogen.

Jeffnick,

Thanks for the tip on surpluscenter.com. I picked up one of their $30 wiper motors and finished installing it last weekend. With 2 speeds and the self-parking option, it is an improvement over what I had and operates much more quietly. It was a simple bolt-in replacement with only wiring changes for the 2-speeds and self-park.

Your suggestion saved me big bucks. Thanks for the assist!!

Rochepoint has teak blocks over the wiper shafts to space the wiper arm out so it does not hit the window frame. Is this what your are calling "pillow Blocks"?

Sorry for the late reply but the answer is yes. I would call those pillow blocks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom