What brand is this head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

Came with the boat. It's fully manual, no electric. No logos. If I can ID it, I can get the manual perhaps and learn how to work it. Has what couldn't be more than a 5 gallon holding tank and a pump out fitting on the deck. A couple of thru hulls with shut offs. A hand pump and I little finger operated lever. Have no idea how to work it.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 32
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 28
  • head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 28
I would replace it. Rebuilding a toilet of your own is bad enough but dealing with someone elses used food is even more gross.

Peggy will chime in and identify it for you. (Then you need to go out and buy her book)

pete

Can't help with ID, but if you decide to go new I highly recommend the Raritan Marine Elegance toilet. Elegant design, all enclosed in the toilet base. Very satisfied, based on the Head Mistriss's recommendation.

The small lever controls the inlet for the flush water. You pump some water into the bowl; flip the lever to stop that action; pump some more to empty the bowl.

It's a system from the late '70s...the toilet is most likely a Danforth ( yes, the same company that makes anchors made toilets for a few years) with a Raritan wrap-around 5 gallon holding tank. If there's a flushwater inlet thru-hull, it's not recirculating...some of these early systems were.

No parts have been available for that toilet for at least 35 years...the parts in the pump have been worn out for at least that long...if the boat has spent any time sitting, all the rubber parts in the boat have long since become hard, dry, brittle and prone to crumbling. So it's not salvageable....the only part of it that you might be able to use today are the bowl, seat and lid...they seem to be in pretty good shape, actually. The hoses don't. So you're gonna need a new toilet, hoses and a larger tank.

Do you want to stay with a manual toilet or upgrade to electric? The boat doesn't appear to be one that has a very spacious head, so we need to measure carefully.
Finding space for a decent size tank may be a bit of a challenge too...but fortunately Ronco plastic makes top quality tanks for a reasonable price and has 400+ shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-retangular. Ronco Plastics marine Tanks

If you'd like to brainstorm your options one-on-one, send me a PM and I'll be glad to help you figure out the best choices for that boat, your intended use of it, how many people will typically be aboard and your budget for this.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I second the Raritan Marine Elegance and the Ronko tanks, both are great.

Back
Top Bottom