Whale pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
in going through the systems on my new to me trawler, i have found that it has 2 electric bilge pumps but no mechanical or whale pump.

This is a 1981 42ft. All my previous sail boats had a mechanical pump in addition to the electric bilge pump. Is this common that there are no mechanical pumps on trawlers? has someone on here added their own mechanical pump?
Just thinking that if really needed the electric pump would have failed due to excess water shorting them out so the need for a mechanical pump.

Thoughts?
Ed

Greetings,
Mr. Mc. "...electric pump would have failed due to excess water shorting them..." One would hope to have any vulnerable (NOT watertight) connections well out of the way of "excess" water. I think if one has waterproofed all connections, an "excess water" incident which would short out those connections (NOT watertight) would probably be an indication that you were about to sink.

You aren't strong enough or fit enough to actually be able to pump out a trawler by hand. I took the silly thing off my boat, a useless lump.

This post is not meant to be rude, but how much stamina do you have?

A man and a bucket...

On that note USCG requires a manual pump on inspected vessels, no matter how many "real" pumps there are.

I agree with Xsbank, if I needed the space or it got in the way, mine would be gone also. If things are that bad being on the radio with rescuers rather than pumping makes more sense.

in going through the systems on my new to me trawler, i have found that it has 2 electric bilge pumps but no mechanical or whale pump.

This is a 1981 42ft. All my previous sail boats had a mechanical pump in addition to the electric bilge pump. Is this common that there are no mechanical pumps on trawlers? has someone on here added their own mechanical pump?
Just thinking that if really needed the electric pump would have failed due to excess water shorting them out so the need for a mechanical pump.

Thoughts?
Ed

My trawler has two electric pumps in two different locations. No mechanical pump.

Electric bilge pumps are designed to work in and under water. Only if the wiring is improperly done would they "short out". Of course with any electro-mechanical device, there is the possibility of failure. You can install a mechanical pump if you wish but I think the advice above is pretty good.

You can also install an additional electric bilge pump if you wish but don't try to share the thruhull. It needs its own.

If anyone says " The best bilge pump is a scared man with a bucket." I will fart in your general direction.

I used to carry a Whale manual pump but decided it was a waste of space. I rigged my engine water intake so it could pump the bilge in an emergency.

If water is coming into the boat, its better to spend your time stopping the leak than trying to stay ahead of it with a manual pump.

There have been many discussions on this subject.

My preference would be a big engine driven pump fueled by propane. I don't have room to carry one so I do the best I can.

Westman, you beat me to it, now I have to fart in your general direction. Pass the beans please.

You are right Ed; it seems every sailboat has one.

I was considering one, but instead installed another independent electric bilge pump. I also installed a high level alarm and relocated the batteries out of the engine compartment to decrease the risk of submerging them.

If you have the space and the crew they still may be a good idea. But if you are on your own, as mentioned, I'd be trying to slow the incoming water rate rather than trying to keep up with it by hand pumping.

Mach Cat, thanks for that link. I don't disagree with anything he said.
Two points I'd like to throw in. The two most common sizes of hose on electric pumps are 3/4, 1-1/8. There are several different capacity pumps for each size. I see no reason to use anything but the highest capacity. For example Rule makes a 1500 and a 2000 pump with an 1-1/8" discharge. Why would you ever install a 1500? Boat builders do because it cheaper. You shouldn't.

The surveyor also talks about belt driving a pump off your prop shaft. There is a pump that mounts directly on the propeller shaft, will pump more water than a belt driven pump, is easier to install and it's cheaper. Fast Flow Pumps - Bilge Pump

The draw back to this is the propeller has to be turning for this to work. You may not want the boat to be moving while you try to fix the leak.

Last edited:
Engine driven bilge pumps are expensive and do not get checked enough.

One solution is a valve setup to use it as a fire pump or a heck of a deck/anchor wash setup.

Our 2 inch clutched Jabsco even gets used to keep jet skiers from doing their usual dumb antics.

Pump 2 Inch Electric Clutch Jabsco 18330-0000

Part #: JAB18330-0000
$1,199.60

This Manually Activated Clutch Pump Offers all the Benefits of Flexible Impeller Pumps with a High Capacity Flow Rate and Horizontally Oriented Ports.
4710 gph @ 10' total head @1750 rpm
Self-Priming to 15' vertical lift
Mechanical face type shaft seal
Nitrile Impeller
Two single-row shaft ball bearings
Fitting: 2" Internal NPT
Size: 12-7/16" L x 5-15/16" W x 5-3/4" H
Pulley Dia: 7"
Weight: 24 lb
12 Volt DC Pump with double A groove pulley

Last edited:
Back