Webasto electric use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Chartering a Ranger Tug this weekend in the San Juan's and expect to be using the Webasto furnace full time. I have zero experience with one so I'm wondering how concerned I need to be around battery draw if we're off shore power overnight. I'll definitely ask the charter folks, but I thought I'd ask the experts first. Sorry, I don't know what battery banks this boat has but it's only a year old and we're the first charter.
Thanks,
BD

Depends on the make up of the system?

Pumps? Air circulating fans? Valves?

Hopefully, the battery bank has been properly sized to support an untethered overnite?

RB

Yeah I know - I don't have good information. I'm sure it's a stock unit so I just thought someone here might have some experience with it. Longshot.
BD

Since we are only guessing, I would guess that you will be OK with it running overnight. Check with the charter folks though.

For sure. That helps. I guess I was really asking if it would even be reasonable to hope for that. Like if someone asked if they could run their AC off the inverter all night I'd say that's not very likely. This seems to be at least possible. They'll hopefully know all the details.
Thanks
BD

To minimize electrical consumption adjust so the unit runs longer during it’s cycle. Like comes on at 68 degrees and shuts off at 73 as an example. If you set it to come on at 70 and shut down at 72 more electrons will be consumed because startup consumes much more power.
Also a smaller heater in a bigger boat will tend to stay on longer and it will be the more efficient.
The above has to do w electrical consumption. The best for lower fuel burn is if the heater running all the time .. hence lowest fuel burn is under about the same conditions as lowest electrical consumption. A big high output heater in a smaller boat will be least efficient.

Having said that I don’t remember how to adjust the cycling range but I’m fairly sure it can be done. Read da book or call the place where they sell Wabastos. I have a small Airtop2000 and at 35 degrees or so it runs all the time. Underway I can agment the heat by running the little bus heater usually called a “Red Dot” heater. I usually don’t run the Red Dot as it’s noisy even underway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Most likely the Ranger Tug has more than 250amp/hrs of battery capacity in which case you can run the heat all night with out concern.

Be sure to use the battery selector switch to leave the engine , or noisemaker battery out of the overnight draw for the heater..

I have a Thermo 90ST with 3 different AC fans and one zone valve (AC because they are WAY quieter). There is a 24VAC power supply (converting from 110AC) that powers 5 relays and two thermostats.

Mine pulls 16 amps with everything running at full blast. The heater by itself pulls just under 10 amps, and the rest of the system pulls about 6 amps. This is at 12.2VDC, with the AC stuff powered through an inverter with 88% efficiency. It's 30 degrees and windy right now, and it'll run about 2/3 of the time to keep the cabin between 65 and 68. It runs once per hour. We are also fully insulated.

Last edited:
On a rental boat w a dedicated start batt there should be little if any concern. Assuming the start batt is good and the house batts will run the Wabasto all night.
On a rental one could assume there would be much complaining and problems if battery banks were anywhere near marginal. The OP should have no problems. Also the Wabasto I’ve heard “dosn’t like low voltage”. Assuming it causes problems the rental people would brobably be on top of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom