Old 05-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Water tank level

As some of you know I have a new to me Pacific Trawler 40, a 2001

I am trying to figure out how to monitor the water lever. The boat has two 100 gallon aluminum water tanks. It would be easy to meter the water going in but out would be a lot harder.

What have you guys done in trying to monitor the level?

The other side to this, for small trips I don't need to carry 200 gals for a 2 or 3 day trip.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I usually “stick” the depth. If you’re consistent the way water is used, over time you’ll know within 5% to 10% how much volume are in your tanks. Are your two tanks equalized by using cross-over plumbing? You might also check out the “Scad” system. We use Scad in our fiberglass holding tank. Works well. Scad makes a sending unit for metallic tanks as well. Good luck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
When I had AL rectangular cross section tanks, I spent decades just using a dowel calibrated in 10% increments. Nowadays, I have a plastic tank which cannot be "stuck" because of the silly angles in the fill hoes, but I can see the level by lifting the cockpit hatch if I begin to lose confidence in the factory installed WEMA level sensor and gauge combination.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
As some of you know I have a new to me Pacific Trawler 40, a 2001

I am trying to figure out how to monitor the water lever. The boat has two 100 gallon aluminum water tanks. It would be easy to meter the water going in but out would be a lot harder.

What have you guys done in trying to monitor the level?

The other side to this, for small trips I don't need to carry 200 gals for a 2 or 3 day trip.
To get an approximation, assuming your tanks are at the stern of your boat, mark the top of your bottom paint at the waterline with full tanks and again with empty tanks. In between, just keep an eye on those marks. Soon you will know when to fill up.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
My water tank and fuel tanks have sight glasses and the holding tank is plastic.
I also have a Maretron system for the fuel, water and holding tanks. This reads out at the helm station area.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
My water tank and fuel tanks have sight glasses and the holding tank is plastic.
I also have a Maretron system for the fuel, water and holding tanks. This reads out at the helm station area.
Me too!
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
I emptied by tanks through use and then filled them up with one of these attached to the hose/spigot:

Orbit Hose End Water Flow Meter Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0187BOFD6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

As I filled up, I noted the level read on my electronic gauge and gallons of flow measured by the device. I do similar occasionally to double check things. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it has been precise. Also, it does have a reset feature, which I use after flushing the hose and before filling to avoid the need to do math.

I've had it for ~14 months, out in the Florida sun on the spigot the whole time, and it still works. So, I am pleased. I thought it'd be a one season toy, and, really, anything more than a day was a bonus w.r.t. the one time use I bought it for.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I can tell if mine are full, they overflow. After that, guesswork,although there is an old skill in Australia of rapping corrugated iron (plastic too) water tanks with your knuckles and determining by sound the level. At a more practical level, there are externally attached systems to read the level of black water tanks, would they work for "white water".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I usually “stick” the depth. If you’re consistent the way water is used, over time you’ll know within 5% to 10% how much volume are in your tanks. Are your two tanks equalized by using cross-over plumbing? You might also check out the “Scad” system. We use Scad in our fiberglass holding tank. Works well. Scad makes a sending unit for metallic tanks as well. Good luck!
Yes, the 2 tanks can be equalized.

I went to their web site. Scad is stating " SCAD internal sensor available for metal tanks;" I will e-mail them and see, but one problem is getting into the tanks. Thanks!

Dip sticks can not be used as there is no way to get into the tank itself.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
To get an approximation, assuming your tanks are at the stern of your boat, mark the top of your bottom paint at the waterline with full tanks and again with empty tanks. In between, just keep an eye on those marks. Soon you will know when to fill up.

Thanks! If nothing else, that will give me a rough idea.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #11

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Orbit Hose End Water Flow Meter Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0187BOFD6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

We use the same unit and it has worked well. I have ours installed on the outlet of a water filter system in the engine room so filled the tank and ran all the water out to check the capacity. Seems quite accurate and we haven't run out of water since. It reports both the most recent usage and total so it's been interesting and helpful to find out how much a shower or a dish washing use. Guess whose shower uses twice as much water
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Will measure fresh water as well as holding tanks from one location.

http://tanktender.com

The original precision tank measuring system. One instrument measures from 1 to 10 tanks. It gauges the liquid level in water, diesel & holding tanks.‎Pricing / Order Form · ‎About · ‎Installation & Operation · ‎Pressure Checking
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
currently use a stick. Have just installed scad external stick on on holding tank but not yet sure it is working correctly ( no time to check and confirm)

For the water tank I am considering a sight tube vertically teed into feed line inside aft cabin closet for easy access. At the top a simple on/off tap to open to air to allow it to equalize to tank level.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #14

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Uh, well, no. 200 gallons of water weighs ~1400 lbs. The tanks are located approximately six feet aft of the center of buoyancy, which is close to midships on the Pacific Trawler 40. The "weight to submerge an inch" (a measure of the trim sensitivity of the boat) is several thousand pounds an inch. To measure a one-inch change in waterline submersion at the transom would require approximately 2000 pounds placed AT THE TRANSOM. Removing 200 gallons of water from a location about 14' forward will result in an immeasurable trim change.

All this info is from a former owner of a Pacific Trawler (me) who attempted to correct a bow-down trim state caused by the three foot transom extension added by Pacific Trawler to create the 40' version. I found the boat needs about 2000 lbs. of lead in the lazarette to trim properly, even with all water and fuel tanks full.

In my experience with my Pacific Trawler 40, those 200 gallons of house water was more than sufficient for my needs, even on extended trips throughout the PNW. I soon learned to re-water after a week or so underway, and never ran out. And never missed a water tank gauge. Your mileage may differ, of course, but one of the many virtues of the Pacific Trawler 40 is it's ample tankage.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
Uh, well, no. 200 gallons of water weighs ~1400 lbs. The tanks are located approximately six feet aft of the center of buoyancy, which is close to midships on the Pacific Trawler 40. The "weight to submerge an inch" (a measure of the trim sensitivity of the boat) is several thousand pounds an inch. To measure a one-inch change in waterline submersion at the transom would require approximately 2000 pounds placed AT THE TRANSOM. Removing 200 gallons of water from a location about 14' forward will result in an immeasurable trim change.

All this info is from a former owner of a Pacific Trawler (me) who attempted to correct a bow-down trim state caused by the three foot transom extension added by Pacific Trawler to create the 40' version. I found the boat needs about 2000 lbs. of lead in the lazarette to trim properly, even with all water and fuel tanks full.

In my experience with my Pacific Trawler 40, those 200 gallons of house water was more than sufficient for my needs, even on extended trips throughout the PNW. I soon learned to re-water after a week or so underway, and never ran out. And never missed a water tank gauge. Your mileage may differ, of course, but one of the many virtues of the Pacific Trawler 40 is it's ample tankage.

Regards,

Pete
Thank you! Great to know.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #16

City: Florida
Used a WEMA gauge on each of MOJO's tanks for 20+ years. Works great!
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #17

City: Punta Gorda
We use a Hart tank monitoring system.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Huntington Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Great Escape
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian
I have a 34 Californian with a 75 gal water tank. I installed a flow meter on the output of the tank. It measures the flow out of the tank. It is a P3 P0550 water meter from Home Depot.
Stu-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
For a simple, quick and inexpensive way to monitor water tank level, just fit a tee onto your equalizing line. Then run clear tubing up from the tee to a level above the tanks. Leave the top vented with filter or screen. Just mark it off in gallons or percentage full.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #20

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
Another vote for the Tank Tender, mine will do five tanks, two fuel, two fresh water, and one black water

Krogen Express 52 Florida West Coast
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote