Old 12-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Higher-power salt water wash down

Seems that no matter how powerful the pump there is always tougher mud to be found.

I've currently got a 12v Jabsco pump , 6GPM @ 70 PSI. it seems a bit anemic due I guess to the flow rate. Looking to do better, probably by going to a 110 VAC pump. I see a couple options out there:

Headhunter Stingray, 20 GPM at 67 PSI. I already have one of these for freshwater so I'd have some component-redundancy.

Depco has a Gianneschi pump, 26 GPM at 75 PSI. Not familiar with that brand.

I've thought about shallow well pumps as an alternative, and even though they might be cheaper even in the long run, I'm not interested in having to replace them every year or two in a salt-water environment.

An engine-driven pump would be a hassle to install - both the current intake and outlet are at the bow and the engine isn't.

Any other decent options out there?
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
What are you using for a nozzle / wand? I have a Jabsco 70 PSI 6 GPM pump with a wand off of Amazon. The orifice was to small, so the pump kept cycling. The orifice was a simple 1/4" FPT pipe cap. I kept drilling the orifice out with progressively large number drill bits till the pump would stay on. Lots more effect than a garden hose spray nozzle and the pressure is very close to maximum pump pressure. Thinking about building a new wand this winter that is longer to get closer to my chain with the nozzle.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #3

City: Cairns
If you are looking for high flow rather than high pressure, would a pool pump be an option? Note that they seldom come with accumulators nor pressure switches so it's either on or off.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
What are you using for a nozzle / wand? I have a Jabsco 70 PSI 6 GPM pump with a wand off of Amazon. The orifice was to small, so the pump kept cycling.
Interesting thought. I've got a standard pistol-grip nozzle. When pulling the trigger the pump runs continuously which suggests the nozzle isn't a limitation, right?
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Cheap Karcher?
We have one onboard, haven't needed it to blast chain yet.

24v Johnson @20lpm works well enough though can be slow at times
Old 12-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
What are you using for a nozzle / wand? I have a Jabsco 70 PSI 6 GPM pump with a wand off of Amazon. The orifice was to small, so the pump kept cycling. The orifice was a simple 1/4" FPT pipe cap. I kept drilling the orifice out with progressively large number drill bits till the pump would stay on. Lots more effect than a garden hose spray nozzle and the pressure is very close to maximum pump pressure. Thinking about building a new wand this winter that is longer to get closer to my chain with the nozzle.

Ted
Ted
That is brilliant!
I changed my saltwater pump a couple of years ago. Since that change, the pump has been cycling when connected to a regular hose nozzle set on its maximum pressure nozzle. When the home-built nozzle at the chain is in use, there is no cycling. It didn't occur to me that the cycling was due to low flow. Now I can adjust the hose nozzle to fix Thanks for your insight.
At the chain I have a piece of 1/2" copper pipe that I squeezed in the vice to spray a flat pattern and clean the chain. It is positioned about 2" below the roller and at the chain sprays a 2" to 3" pattern, cleaning well in all but sideways hauling.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use my watermaker hp pump with quick connect fittings. I set the pressure at the pump instead of the membranes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote