Old 10-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Water Makers?

Hi All,

After our first serious 10 days on the hook trip this year, we learned what our limitations might be. Our holding tank is too small and we came close to running out of water. There is only one way to solve the holding tank issue, but the water can be replenished at sea via a water maker. The good ship has 150 gallons of usable water. I shower every day (good Navy style boat shower) and then there's doing the dishes etc. How many of you with a 36' or so trawler have a water maker? Any DIY's? These things look expensive. Should I just plan my voyages to include a pump out/water fill stop at a marina?

Dave
Old 10-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

After our first serious 10 days on the hook trip this year, we learned what our limitations might be. Our holding tank is too small and we came close to running out of water. There is only one way to solve the holding tank issue, but the water can be replenished at sea via a water maker. The good ship has 150 gallons of usable water. I shower every day (good Navy style boat shower) and then there's doing the dishes etc. How many of you with a 36' or so trawler have a water maker? Any DIY's? These things look expensive. Should I just plan my voyages to include a pump out/water fill stop at a marina?

Dave
Watermakers can range from a DIY of maybe a grand to upward of $10k- it depends on if you want manual or automatic, AC or DC, how much production capacity, and more.

We finally put one in after 8 years on our boat, and wonder why we didn't do so 8 years ago. We don't scrimp on water usage, and I've plumbed our deck washdown system to freshwater.

One of the best things we've added to the boat.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Hey Dave,

Do a search here on TF. Lots of threads.

We have the following 40GPH:

https://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

City: Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Name: Pipe Dream
Vessel Model: Silverton 42C
We installed a DIY watermaker on our 41' boat. Single greatest boost to quality of life aboard of anything we ever installed.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
If you don't use your boat very much, you would be ahead to refill in port stops. I have a Spectra 150, and it needs to be run every 7 days or so with the system I have. It works for me because I spend most of the five months of summer up here on board, but every once in a while I am in port longer than 7 days and have to make a trip to cycle a fresh water purge through the membrane.

I agree, for me at least, it's one of the best upgrades ever! I never realized how much I rationed my water until I didn't have to anymore...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I liveaboard, my private dock doesn't have water, so have to make water. I've had a watermaker for a long time and I use water like I'm in a house. Wasteful showers, washer and dishwasher, fresh water wash downs, and so on.

My watermaker is home built, but if I ever need another, I'd buy CruiseRO's largest unit. In learning how to build a watermaker, I wasted about double the money to buy their unit.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Willard 36 with a sea recovery 170 GPD (around 7 gph). Planning to replace rowht. CruiseRO 40gph unit. I believe they are around $4500. Off the shelf parts and components so maintenance and repairs are cost effective.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
AK add a Z ion. Best thing since sliced bread. We might be in a harbor where we didn’t want to make water due to quality of the sea water. No sweat. The Z ion runs when you do your final back flush and then you’re good to go for weeks And you’re not using up tank water to back flush.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote