Waste tank monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Anyone out there getting good service out of a waste tank monitor? We’ve got a 35 gallon plastic tank that suffers a bit from my Admiral’s frequent flushes. Closer monitoring would save us from the occasional unsavory surprise.

We see lots of choices but wonder if any particular brand of these stick-on devices work. Thanks in advance for any help.

I use tank tenders out of Gig Harbor Washington. It uses a finger operated air pump to allow measuring pressure water or fuel height and small nylon lines to bottom of each tank in the boat. Waste, fresh water and fuel are coupled to one station. A rotator allows tank selection. I check levels on a daily basis when I am using the boat.

I use tank tenders out of Gig Harbor Washington. It uses a finger operated air pump to allow measuring pressure water or fuel height and small nylon lines to bottom of each tank in the boat. Waste, fresh water and fuel are coupled to one station. A rotator allows tank selection. I check levels on a daily basis when I am using the boat.

Just read the Webpage of Hart Systems Tank Tender. Very interesting approach in accurate gauging of tank levels. Thanks for the info.:thumb:

I use this system for water and fuel, but not waste. Have been very happy with the system.

Ted

I've had one of three blue sea ultrasonic sensors in my waste tank for 2.5 years now. Every once in a while it seems to lose track of the level for a bit, bit it's generally been reliable. And no moving parts to get stuck.

The SCAD tank level monitors Scad Tank Monitors are top rated, relatively inexpensive, and use sensors that mount on the outside of the tank.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I second Peggie's recommendation on the SCAD tank monitor. It has worked great for me on a 40 gallon plastic tank.

Gobius also manufacturers a tank monitor whose sensors mount on the exterior of tanks.

I've sold many Gobius and Scad monitors and both work equally well.

I seriously considered the SCAD device but wanted something I could also see on my Axiom MFD's. I went with the Veratron NMEA 2K liquid level sensor. EASY install... Just use a hole-saw to cut the small opening, mount the device in the tank. I also added an inspection port at the same time and located the 2 close enough that I could easily inspect/clean the sensor if needed. Been in for a couple months now and seems to work perfectly!

I also added a simple float switch and visible/audible alarm in case the tank gets up to the upper ~10% from full. Float sensor/alarm were about ~$20 off amazon. :) Nice little back-up, just in case!!! ;)

https://www.boemarine.com/veratron-nmea-2000-liquid-level-sensor-200-to-600mm.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NSQBKXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BNC9YTB/ref=twister_B09G2MMH9S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I switched to a simple KUS waste tank level sensor and a analog gauge some time ago and have found it to be very reliable.

The SCAD system uses the Tank Edge capacitative sensor which mounts on the outside of a (non-conducting) tank. The sensor can be purchased directly from Tank Edge for a very modest cost compared to some of the solutions mentioned so far, and read by several different schemes. I'm using a Victron Cherbo, information can be broadcast on N2K if you want to see it elsewhere. About 25 Tank Edge sensors can be bought for the price of the Tank Tender.

My methodology is a little more technical.

20220217_093559.jpg

Ted

How effective is the SCAD system when used on a fiberglass waste tank?
Anyone with experience??

How effective is the SCAD system when used on a fiberglass waste tank?
Anyone with experience??

Scad and Gobius work fine on FG tanks. As long as you follow the instructions exactly.

The sensors adhere easier on FG than polyurethane tanks.

If the FG is extremely thick, there may be issues but I've installed them on 5/16" - 3/8" thick Ronco poly tanks without issue.

Last edited:
The new GobiusPro tank monitors are Bluetooth enabled and monitored on your phone or tablet.

Max thickness of various tank materials allowable for Gobius sensors:

Stainless steel, max 3 mm
Steel, max 3 mm
Aluminium, max 5 mm
Polyethelene, max 12 mm
Fibre Glass, max 8 mm

You are all overthinking this.

1. Remove top inspection plate, insert arm.

2. Tank height minus length of arm from top of tank to "contact!" = available free space.

My holding tank is midship, in a fairly tight space with access to the top and not much access along the sides.

I have a Kus float valve type, but it fouls up every season so I need to pull and clean it every year because it gets stuck. I treat my tank well, use NoFlex, pump out often, and flush it.

Regarding the Scad exterior mount system on a FG tank; is everything external and no drilling required? I don't think I could get a drill in there if I wanted to, but should be able to apply the tape and sensors.

The reason I ask is the literature says “1/2 in hole” but I dont see that being needed including on a YT Vid by a do it yourselfer.

Attachments

• DA55A666-7740-4186-9387-68099B839AC7.jpg
    DA55A666-7740-4186-9387-68099B839AC7.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
Am I wrong in thinking you sell Gobius tank monitors?

If you read post #8 I said:

"I've sold many Gobius and Scad monitors and both work equally well."

The SCAD (really Tank Edge) sensor does not require any holes and applies to any outside vertical surface of the tank.

I guess we are old fashioned... We mark each day we are on the boat on a calendar. When it has 8 X's on the calendar it's time for a pump out....

Also have 1 of these for a backup-reminder...
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234299|2234305|2234306&id=1759985

The issue with that type of level monitor is it's exposure to the contents of the holding tank.

The sensor is an on and off switch activated by the sliding float. It gets immersed in waste when the tank gets close to full, which with an adequately sized tank is occassional. After pump out when the sensor is no longer immersed, any crud sticking to the sensor dries. After several immersion and dry cycles, the sliding part of the sensor will stick and unable to indicate a full tank.

I have one on my tank and by spring it is unable to indicate full because of stuck sensor. I fill the tank full of water and a high sudsing soap and let it sit overnite. Next day, I tap the top of the tank with a plastic handle to cause the sliding float to loosen. When the red, tank full, light comes on, stop tapping. I leave the holding tank full of water as long as possible to continue cleaning the sensor.

The other method would be to remove the sensor and clean it. Yuck!

Last edited:
Regarding the Scad exterior mount system on a FG tank; is everything external and no drilling required? I don't think I could get a drill in there if I wanted to, but should be able to apply the tape and sensors.

The reason I ask is the literature says “1/2 in hole” but I dont see that being needed including on a YT Vid by a do it yourselfer.

The 1/2" hole is located behind the display to run the wires through. No holes are required by the tank. Before applying the foil tape to the outside of the tank be sure to clean the area outside well with alcohol so that the tape stays stuck.

The 1/2" hole is located behind the display to run the wires through. No holes are required by the tank. Before applying the foil tape to the outside of the tank be sure to clean the area outside well with alcohol so that the tape stays stuck.

The sensors also stick better if the attachment area on the tank and sensors are heated slightly with a heat gun.

Last edited:
Maretron FPM100

We pulled out the float switch type monitor in our current boat. The floats have an issue over time they will get stuck with debris and it's not fun cracking the tank open to clean the sensor.

Replaced with a Maretron FPM100 over a year ago. Could not be happier with the setup. It works off the tank fluid pressure and sits at the bottom of the tank. You do need the Maretron N2k gateway to calibrate the sensor to the tank. Bonus is the calibration can do irregular sized tanks.

Install was super easy as there is an article on Panbo or Seabits for someone who did the same swap as we did between monitors.

The sensor is very accurate and right now looking at my display our tank is at 46% full.

Is it cheap no. Taking out guess work on holding tank fill level and not having clogged sensor. Priceless.

Stick to what you have. Here's my recipe.
1. Pull the tank sensor probe fitting out.
2. Scrape and loosen the crud at bottom of the tank as best you can, two paint stir sticks work great taped together.
3. Pump out the tank.
4. The sensors, that slide on the tubes, can come off by taking off their plastic clips on the bottoms. Keep track of which end was up. Clean the tubes and the insides of the sensors with a small tool. The liquids crystallize inside the sensors, which is what causes the sticking most of the time. Reassemble float sensors.
5. If you have a multi float system, calibrate the sensors by loosening the locknut on the lowest sensor and push it down until it touches the bottom of the tank. Then pull it back out 1/2". Keep the upper sensor where it was and adjust the middle sensor halfway between the two. Reinstall the probe fitting in the tank.
6. Power up the system, and the tank sensor lights should indicate empty. If reads higher, then adjust the lowest sensor by pulling it further out until it reads empty.
Tighten all lock nuts.
7. System is now ready to go.
8. I pump out when the monitor system reads medium.
9. While I'm in the mood, I replace the duckbill valves, and the tank vent filter.
10. Take a hot shower, then pour myself a nice cold one!
I have used this method for six years and haven't had an issue.

if the SCAD sensor is made by Tank-Edge, what is the difference between buying the Tank-Edge iSeries monitor and the SCAD monitor other than $$? Has anyone tried the iSeries?

What makes you think the SCAD sensors are made by Tank Edge? They didn't invent capacitive sensors...those have been around for more than 30 years and have been used by mfs in the US and Europe....Gobius is the most well known European brand sold in the US.

The original Snake River Electronics, based in Idaho, was the first to use capacitive sensors in the US marine market...they went out of business in the '90s (Several companies--apparently including the Tank Edge parent company--have tried to revive the Snake River brand name, but without much success) succeeded by the Profile Monitors made and sold by Ferriello Sales (Dennis Ferriello had been SR's national sales manager). The Profile sensors were made by a subsidiary of Ferriello Sales, New Providence Marine.

SCAD's first tank monitors were their private label brand name for the Profile system. Ferriello Sales was closed when Dennis Ferriello (who, btw, was a good friend of mine) passed away about 3 years ago. SCAD no longer uses the Profile sensors, but continues to support the Profile monitors, shown on their website as "legacy tank monitors."

--Peggie

Last edited:
hi - I thought I read in some other thread that the sensors were made by the same company (Tank-Edge) but I could easily have been mistaken. Since as you point out capacitance sensors are not anything new, is it safe to assume that the difference between the two products is really in the display and its electronics?

Just read the Webpage of Hart Systems Tank Tender. Very interesting approach in accurate gauging of tank levels. Thanks for the info.:thumb:

Since I live in Gig Harbor, where they are made, I was pleased to have 2 boats in the past with the Hart system tank tender.

However my experience leads me not to recommend it for a waste tank for the simple reason that if you ever overfill your holding tank, the small air tube from the tank to the instrument can and will become clogged. We eventually solved the problem by running a second capillary tube between the tank and the instrument.
~A

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom