Washing Machine frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illerom

Vessel Name
Charmer
Vessel Make
Marlow Explorer 57
Hello Folks .. Just over 8 months ago we purchased a Marlow 57 with a washer and dryer and for the first few times the washer worked like a charm .. ie. 1st mate very happy .. unfortunately, it has ceased to complete a cycle over the weekend and despite the number of different cycles I tried, it refused to finish. Can you appreciate how exciting it is watching a washing machine wash ? Anyway, we eventually had to manually drain the machine and call for a technician. The washing machine service guy arrived on Tuesday, only two days after we contacted him, unfortunately he was not a marine washing machine guy and informed us the machine was working fine but we had a blockage in the pipes and that was indeed our problem. So, the reason for this note was to ask if anyone has had a similar problem and was it easily fixed ? The washing machine is a 6 kg front loading ASKO and it works well until it needs to drain the water on move to the next stage !
Appreciate any suggestions .. I will attempting to remove the washer this weekend and apply my home handyman skills .. after all, it is only a washing machine !
BTW .. we are very happy with the Marlow .. what a great design she is !
Look forward to your comments.

he was not a marine washing machine guy and informed us the machine was working fine but we had a blockage in the pipes and that was indeed our problem
Really? Most washers cycle, they fill with water, empty and fill again, rinse/empty. Clogged pipe?
You said it was near the end where they normally do a fast spin to get rid of most of the water before you put in dryer.
So, I would suspect an out of balance shut off caused by an overload, but could be other reasons.
You said you watched it. Did it start running rough, then stop running, out of balance shut down. IMO but I did stay at a holiday inn express once.

Welcome Aboard! The Asko won`t know it`s on a boat. Could the blockage be external, eg tight turn of the pump out hose? If internal, suspect you`ll need the service guy.

PS. Just "cleaned" my 10+yo LG at home. I thought cleaning them was sales BS, but plenty of crud came out.

Welcome aboard. Where does it drain to? If it just goes to a hose that runs overboard then maybe take a garden hose and try to flush out the drain hose with it.

You probably have a buildup of lint somewhere in the drain plumbing.

Hardware stores sell a mostly rubber drain unplugging end for a garden hose. It goes in the drain, expands to seal the drain, and then pulsates and pressurizes the drain pipe. It usually pushes the clog out.

Appreciate the comments and feedback ... thank you all. Nice to know Im not totally insane and you have backed up my investigative powers ! I have just attempted to remove the washer in the hope that I can dislodge any blockage in the drainage pipes .. unfortunately, that doesnt seem possible, its, obviously, quite heavy in a restricted position and getting it out and then supporting it while I inspect plumbing aint gonna happen today ! ... to answer an earlier question regarding the drainage, it is all integrated into the general plumbing of the boat and all drains into the 'general drainage system' which also caters for the head sinks and galley .. there is no obstruction to those drains and they drain very well ... so .. I feel the culprit is behind the washer itself and once in there .. all should be revealed. I hope.
However, as I was cussing and swearing to myself, the first mate advised that the ASKO people are coming out on Thursday ... I must admit, that was a rather important piece of information she left out. "well, I thought you could fix the blockage" ..
I shall update the final chapter later next week ..
Once again, appreciate your input .. thanks .. happy boating !
Illerom.

You probably have a buildup of lint somewhere in the drain plumbing.

Hardware stores sell a mostly rubber drain unplugging end for a garden hose. It goes in the drain, expands to seal the drain, and then pulsates and pressurizes the drain pipe. It usually pushes the clog out.

...or just blow in the hose to check if its blocked. LOL.

An extra pair of hands? Is there another way to access the back of the unit? What is behind it? What is on top? Tilt the unit forward? Cut an access port?

Nothing marine unique about it. Just a typical drain blockage. Only thing unique is the drain lines, but work just like those in your home. Not a one man job though.

Had this problem at home. The DRAIN FILTER can become clogged - in our case a few bobbie pins and a bra underwire. Any way this is from the manual on asko site. The filter is in the machine not the line:

https://static18.asko.com/files/default/usa/Literature/ASKO Cleaning Guide.pdf

The drain filter collects items such as threads, coins, pins, buttons and items left in pockets. Clean the drain filter regularly to avoid drainage problems.
1 Open drain pump cover using a flat blade screwdriver.
2 Pull out hose.
3 Remove hose cap and drain water into a bowl or onto towels. Use caution when draining hot water.
4 When water flow stops, turn pump filter counterclock- wise to remove.
5 Remove any debris from filter.
6 Reinstall filter by turning clockwise.
7 Reinstall hose cap and place hose into its holder.
8 Close drain pump cover.

Appreciate the comments and feedback ... thank you all. Nice to know Im not totally insane and you have backed up my investigative powers ! I have just attempted to remove the washer in the hope that I can dislodge any blockage in the drainage pipes .. unfortunately, that doesnt seem possible, its, obviously, quite heavy in a restricted position and getting it out and then supporting it while I inspect plumbing aint gonna happen today ! ... to answer an earlier question regarding the drainage, it is all integrated into the general plumbing of the boat and all drains into the 'general drainage system' which also caters for the head sinks and galley .. there is no obstruction to those drains and they drain very well ... so .. I feel the culprit is behind the washer itself and once in there .. all should be revealed. I hope.
However, as I was cussing and swearing to myself, the first mate advised that the ASKO people are coming out on Thursday ... I must admit, that was a rather important piece of information she left out. "well, I thought you could fix the blockage" ..
I shall update the final chapter later next week ..
Once again, appreciate your input .. thanks .. happy boating !
Illerom.
Do you have one of these washers, ASKO. They all have a small door bottom left front to remove the filter for cleaning. Does not require removing washer.
Removing the filter should expose the discharge hose and a plumbers snake can be inserted.
Removing washer suggests you have a model with a rear discharge, perhaps filter at rear. Have you located the filter?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Clothes are WAY overrated. Either clean or dirty.

iu

Problem solved !

Once again, thanks for all your responses. Really encouraging to know there is all this support out there. Great stuff !
I have pleasure informing you all that the problem was rectified with a service visit from Asko. As it turned out, nothing wrong with the machine, it was a blockage in the exit pipe that was cleared with a quick blow down the pipe once the machine was ‘removed’ and supported on a makeshift platform ( establishing that was a job in its own right!). The machine weighs 82 kg !
It was definitely a two man job and for those who have integrated machines, which have virtually no room to move you can imagine the dramas in the removal of the washer. Luckily I had a very patient service man who was very respectful of the timber floor and walls - no scratches or marks anywhere .. very satisfied with that !!
Once again, thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
I really enjoy reading the stories, threads and queries in the forum, signing off .. for now. Happy boating.
Illerom.

We have a Splendide washer dryer combo unit. Wife hates it but still better than going to a laundromat. When we needed a service call, none of the authorized service providers would come to a boat! So what good is the warranty? Caveat emptor.

Ah yes... that was a bit of a challenge to ‘get the right guy’ .. we had to wait a couple of weeks .. however, all good things come to those who wait... usually.

Cheers.

We have a Splendide washer dryer combo unit. Wife hates it but still better than going to a laundromat. When we needed a service call, none of the authorized service providers would come to a boat! So what good is the warranty? Caveat emptor.

I have found Splendide very helpful in troubleshooting problems with the machines. Of course it was a DIY repair scenario.

Once again, thanks for all your responses. Really encouraging to know there is all this support out there. Great stuff !
I have pleasure informing you all that the problem was rectified with a service visit from Asko. As it turned out, nothing wrong with the machine, it was a blockage in the exit pipe that was cleared with a quick blow down the pipe once the machine was ‘removed’ and supported on a makeshift platform ( establishing that was a job in its own right!). The machine weighs 82 kg !
It was definitely a two man job and for those who have integrated machines, which have virtually no room to move you can imagine the dramas in the removal of the washer. Luckily I had a very patient service man who was very respectful of the timber floor and walls - no scratches or marks anywhere .. very satisfied with that !!
Once again, thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
I really enjoy reading the stories, threads and queries in the forum, signing off .. for now. Happy boating.
Illerom.

Glad it worked out for you. Also nice that you got a service technician that was good and aslo respectful of the boat.

Ok, at the risk of sniping this thread, we have an integrated GE washer/dryer. The washer works fine but the dryer is really weird. We put a small number of clothes in there. Let's say 7 pieces belonging to our 3 yr old granddaughter so it is definitely not overloaded. Run a cycle on auto dry. 2 of the 7 pieces will come out completely dry, the rest still wet. Put it on timed dry. Two or three more pieces will be dry, the others wet. What the heck?? More drying. Finally after maybe and hour or an hour and a half of running the stupid dryer it will all be dry. Last time, one piece was still damp. I'm wondering if there are several heating elements and one or more are out. That is about all I can figure. How one piece gets dry and the rest don't is beyond my comprehension. Any guesses out there?? Poltergeist maybe??

I had the same problem on our Asko washer. Worked fine when on generator but not while plugged into shore power. Found the problem was that the shore power was only around 100 to 110 volts and would not spin the washer pump fast enough but works great with 120 volts. Problem solved. I almost replaced the pump which is around 250.00.

Ok, at the risk of sniping this thread, we have an integrated GE washer/dryer. The washer works fine but the dryer is really weird. We put a small number of clothes in there. Let's say 7 pieces belonging to our 3 yr old granddaughter so it is definitely not overloaded. Run a cycle on auto dry. 2 of the 7 pieces will come out completely dry, the rest still wet. Put it on timed dry. Two or three more pieces will be dry, the others wet. What the heck?? More drying. Finally after maybe and hour or an hour and a half of running the stupid dryer it will all be dry. Last time, one piece was still damp. I'm wondering if there are several heating elements and one or more are out. That is about all I can figure. How one piece gets dry and the rest don't is beyond my comprehension. Any guesses out there?? Poltergeist maybe??

You need to make sure there are no blockages on your vent side. Your problem really sounds like restricted air flow. Most boats have way to many bends and twists in the vent pipe. Every two years I have to remove my vent pipe and manually remove all the lint from it to replace the air flow. It can change the dry time from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes.

Hey folks. Wow. Who would have thought a thread with a title of washing machine would have so much interest. Clearly an under appreciated necessity!
Well, our problem has reoccurred and despite removing the washer for third time and testing the pump and the water flow and then reinstalling back into the cupboard, the goddam thing refused to finish a cycle !
I spoke to the service guy (same guy as before - I think we are getting close now) .. he instructed me to go through some investigate work and is still convinced there is a blockage somewhere. His recommendation is to now replace the second part of the drainage hose that connects from the machine to the boat drainage system. I have made some initial investigations in the bilge and although I can see the hose from the machine I can’t see where it joins the more general drainage pipe.
I am predicting my body being contorted into all directions in the next few days. Ho-hum. Back to the bilge.
I shall return with another exciting chapter.
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.
Cheers
Illerom.

We had the same problem with our domestic washing machine. It turned out there was a nail or screw that made it's way into the pump, preventing it from effectively draining the drum. Once removed, everything back to normal.

Hello again ... I'm back ... I need to share this information with anyone who has a front loading washing machine aboard their boat. As crazy as this may sound, I have proved beyond any doubt that we, in the long run, discovered the real reason why the washing machine was not completing the cycle, or was randomly finishing others and not all.
Let me just re-cap briefly .. washing machine appeared to operate correctly, yet sometimes did not finish washing and spinning cycle. This led to numerous removal of machine to check for blockages of drain pipe, setting up a 'jury rig' drain hose into the fwd head to make sure the pump was working to expectations and draining ... then, of course, once everything was proven not to work, purchasing a new washing machine .. which is where I will pick up this thread again ...
We tried numerous attempts for this machine operate correctly .. it continued to convince us the only option was a replacement. Therefore, the Admiral and I researched a suitable machine and purchased said machine and organised a pick up at our local whitegoods chain.
However, first, yes, we must remove the current machine and cart that off to the tip .. there is no replacement/delivery service to a vessel we were kindly informed.
Right, contact a good mate who is fit enough and flexible enough to carry an 80 kg washing machine up a curved set of stairs. DOne. They are regular passengers so not a problem to get his buy-in at all ! All was going well until we realised after much sweating, cursing and even more cursing, the machine was not going to fit up the stairs ! Then came to the conclusion, it was probably installed before the deck was laid down on top ! Well, thats just great ! To cut a long story short, we contacted our service man at ASKO and advised he would need to, once again, come out and 'repair' whatever was the problem.
He once again asked what was happening .. and I advised that some cycles were finishing and some were not. "ah yes" he said and "what are you using for washing detergent" ? I told him I was using powder and my wife was using liquid ... "well, thats your problem" he informed me ... the liquid washing detergent does not fully rinse out and the sensor still thinks it has water in the machine and therefore will not complete the cycle because it still thinks it has water inside etc etc etc .. ". he advised we run the machine 3 times without clothes or detergent to flush out all the suds and then only use powder in future (by the way, we did obtain a full refund of the new machine).
So, here we are yet again in no-man's land thinking "how can liquid detergent do that to a machine of such high quality ?".
Without over-boring those reading this any further ... we have since completed more than a dozen cycles (on the same settings as before) and they complete as per operating times and spin away to their hearts content at 1,200 RPM and finish correctly and 'click' the door opens !
So, my boating friends ... we dont use any liquid detergents and use an excellent front loading powder from ALDI that was recommended by the serviceman.
We saved over $700 on a new machine, learnt something that is potentially so obscure who would know, and we have clean clothes - luckily the clothes dryer is an absolute beauty !
I hope this may help anyone who is experiencing anything similar, if so, I feel your pain !
Illerom, over and out !

Happy boating folks.

We had always used powdered soap because that is what was specified for the machine. Who would think it made that much difference?

Thank you for an informative post Illerom.
Strange because we use liquid soap in our little Candy 4KG front loader and never had a problem (so far). I can't speak highly enough of our washing machine, yes it would be nice to have a larger one but as you discovered the larger ones are difficult to fit in a boat.
One thing we noticed was vibration on the spinning cycle and we got around that by using those little inflatable bags to stabilize the machine.
When were cruising we use a 3KW Pure Sine Wave Heavy Duty inverter to power the machine which works perfectly.

Glad you figured out the problem, but curious as to why the same repairman was asked to "once again" come out . . . . was it for the same problem previously? And if so, why didn't he clue you in earlier as to the problem?!?

On a side note, we have a Splendide 2100 in our motorhome, and now, in our boat, we have an older version of the 2100 (not sure model #). They both work flawlessly with liquid detergent. The one on the boat we originally couldn't get to work, tried everything, but then found that the water valve, which we thought was in the open position, was really closed . . . . doesn't run/cycle without water:nonono:. Opened valve, and marked it so open/closed was readily apparent, no problems since. We've debated replacing with a new/newer model, but then again, why mess with it if it's working?:whistling:

That's really interesting information. When I purchased my first front loading washer a number of years ago, I was specifically told by the appliance vendor as well as the instructions that came with the machine to use only detergents rated for front loading washers. They told me that if I wanted to use regular liquid detergent, that you have to use far less, about half of what you would use in a top loading machine for the same load.

I’ve got a Splendide on my boat. It’s a good little washing machine, but this is the non-vented model, so I just don’t use the dry cycle. I have a nice fold-up wooden clothes rack on board, and I’m happy with that. The only reason I might use a drying cycle at all might be to pull out some wrinkles, but then, I’m on a boat!!

I have only ever used dry detergent. In fact, I bought the Splendide brand. No smells, works great.

Back
Top Bottom