Washer/Dryer Usage on Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WD

I love my WD. I don't recommend a combo. If you don't have room for both get a good front loader with strong spin cycle
Hint: engine room clothesline will dry things fast!

We just replaced the 30 - year old Frigidaire combo with Asko washer and vented dryer. Very happy with this upgrade. We’ve been onboard 3 years and would not do without a washer & dryer. If you can fit them, they are great to have. The small 24 x 24 foot print of the Asko is convenient. I had to completely disassemble and reassemble to get them into the bow room laundry area. The task was daunting, however turned out not too difficult and did the job solo with exception of assistance from dockhand to handle the dryer drum down the stairs. The Asko drum sizes are generous and can wash 6 bath towels or even a queen blanket. Spin cycle is very strong, hence dryer time is minimal. They are separate units, however we stacked them with the optional folding tray in-between. They are pinched in-place with a few cleats which keep them from moving. A nice feature of the Asko is only a cold water connection is needed, it produces its own hot water. This is nice for an end of workday shower and not needing to wait for water tank to recover before laundry.....or visversa.

Attachments

• IMG_1191 2.jpg
    IMG_1191 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
In searching for my current boat, my priorities were, besides Detroit Diesels, washer, dryer and dishwasher. I don't like the time spent trying to do without them. I'd also buy a Cherry 2000 if I could find one.

1) need to have space for it
2) need to have power, so at marina or run genset
3) need to have water, so at the marina or watermaker (and run genset)

So the answer really depends on the size of boat, and how you use it. Like a refrigerator, if you don't have one at home you won't miss it on the boat. But compared to a refrigerator, it ties you much closer to a dock, or water and power that you must generate onboard.

There's this wonderful thing called the sun and solar panels.
Genset only needed on rainy days and you're not washing then anyway.
Marina berth never required.

In searching for my current boat, my priorities were, besides Detroit Diesels, washer, dryer and dishwasher. I don't like the time spent trying to do without them. I'd also buy a Cherry 2000 if I could find one.

I hope you found room for them on an 83’ boat...:)

Just having a vented dryer is nice after a shower to throw the towels in and dry them. That way the moisture is vented outside the boat and it helps control the humidity inside.

I'm not liveaboard yet. But I use a vented Splendide all the time. I run the generator once a week anyway - so why not use it. Clothes come out almost dry - just need to be hung up for a few hours before putting away.

You own a wood hull 82' Wheeler patrol boat?

You own a wood hull 82' Wheeler patrol boat?
Actually 83' Wheeler converted to a monk design.
I find the inconvenience of a large boat worth the trouble for the comfort and extra space. And I like to tuna fish.

Back
Top Bottom