Washdown & Water Pump Recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Installing a new Washdown pump and a new Freshwater pump.

1. Does it make sense to buy same brand for these? Interchangeable parts?
2. Recommendation on brand? Shurflo? Johnson? Jabsco? Other?

12V system on my Willard 36. Not looking to cheap-out, but I know there are some super expensive water systems.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Fresh water pumps are easy to source , the boat/RV units work well at low cost.
The bigger fancy $$$ FW stuff is for the charter folks that may have 5 faucets open at once,.

The wash down pump might be worth a larger investment as it might be used as a fire pump .

We have Jabsco pumps for each of those functions, and they're not the same... no part interchangeability that I know of. FWIW, they both work well enough, as do the Jabsco macerator pumps for our holding tank and fishbox. Not a recommendation, just an observation.

-Chris

I have always matched my wash down pump to my fresh water pump. This way if my water pump fails I can replace it with my wash down pump. It’s a lot easier to live with out a wash down pump than with out a fresh water pump.

If the ones you currently have still work, throw them in the spare parts bin, just in case.

After using many, many Jabsco pumps I replaced the fresh water one with a Marco. So far I am pleasantly surprised. It is built like something that will last awhile, without all the pulsing and vibration.

My fresh water pump is an ancient 3 gpm Shurflo. Not the fanciest thing, but it's reliable and does the job. I'm installing a Delavan FB2 as a wash down pump. Haven't gotten to try it try, but it should do well. 7 gpm open flow, 5.5 gpm into 40 psi. Pressure cutoff is at 60 psi out of the box, but it can do up to 100. Draws a lot of power, 12.3 amps at open flow up to 22.5 at 60 psi (gets closer to 30 if you turn the pressure up more).

Installing a new Washdown pump and a new Freshwater pump.

1. Does it make sense to buy same brand for these? Interchangeable parts?

Peter

Great idea. And as the project manager and end-user you can't blame each other for costs or maintenance aspects.

I personally think it is a great idea if you can find a pump that will adequately fulfill both functions, even if one has to compromise a bit for the other.

Alternatively, if you decide upon a lousy pump, you now have two.

I have no experience in these specific applications, but I think Jabsco's are overpriced and under engineered for what you pay for them.

Whale seems to be the most innovative small pump marine/RV company currently. I have a Whale bilge pump that it's so much more reliable than the Rule junk it replaced. Everything about it just feels like so much higher quality, and not like some old pump with molds from the 70s or 80s.

In fact, I would contact them and ask their advice, but this one is on both washdown and freshwater page https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/p...riendlyID=Whale-Universal-Pressure-Pump-Range

Last edited:
Peter,
About 30 minutes north of you is Depco Pumps. www.depco.com They are an expert in marine pumps and are very helpful to discuss the pros/cons of various pumps.
My washdown pump is much bigger than my freshwater pump because it has to push water to the bow and with 15' of head pressure. I want my washdown pump to provide more water pressure and volume than I need at my galley sink or even from the shower heads.
Unless you plan to travel down islands where spares can be an issue, I would try to make each pump solution the best available for your needs and budget.
ps - I have been very happy with my Whale bilge pumps.
Good luck.

Over the last 2 years I've had the switch fail on the west Marine FW pump. West have replaced the pump no problem, it's just the switchs are not up to it in my opinion. In frustration I changed over to a mechanical switch. The change in the RPM of the pump and you can hear it running sweeter are both noticeable. I used this adjustable mechanical switch. As far as I can say some 4 months later, and I've been on the boat full time , so the pumps had lots of exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6WBNCV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have always matched my wash down pump to my fresh water pump. This way if my water pump fails I can replace it with my wash down pump. It’s a lot easier to live with out a wash down pump than with out a fresh water pump.
:iagree:

I've done the same thing. I only have to carry one spare to cover both systems.

As far as spares, I carry a spare water pump. I won't carry a spare washdown pump, as that's a convenience item, not critical. If one fails, I can either get and connect a different pump that'll work temporarily, or I can get a replacement pump shipped in fairly quickly. Living without it for a few days is a potential inconvenience, but not a big deal, as I've boated plenty without a washdown setup at all.

We had two paragon sr pumps. One for fresh and one for raw water wash down. The fresh water pump failed last year and we replaced with a headhunter Mach 5. We decided to switch because we wanted to reconfigure the routing of the plumbing and the crossover configuration anyway.

For the wash down i will be sparing another paragon Sr. So it can drop in. We have the crossover in case the fresh water pump ever fails we can switch over to the raw water pump as a backup.

-tozz

We have Jabsco pumps for each of those functions, and they're not the same... no part interchangeability that I know of. FWIW, they both work well enough, as do the Jabsco macerator pumps for our holding tank and fishbox. Not a recommendation, just an observation.

I should have added...

I've replaced the freshwater pump once, the washdown pump once, the holding tank macerator pump once (that one mostly frozzen from lack of use), and the fishbox macerator pump once (but the original was still working and the problem turned out to be a clogged thru-hull). This over the boat's 17 year lifespan.

I replaced same-for-same in each case, although the replacement freshwater pump model number changed a bit somewhere in there...

Largely because the easiest/fastest swap relied on using the same mounting paraphernalia and the same QEST quick-connect fittings... IOW, not really because of the pumps themselves. In most cases, replacement has been very fast and easy... remaking the electrical connections usually taking up the most time.

-Chris

Some MFG use the same pump head for either FW or a wash down pump.

Only difference is the size of the installed motor.

The wash down pumps make great FW pumps tho the bigger motor will cost an amp or two when running.

Easiest to live with is a 6 gal accumulator and a wash down pump.

After using many, many Jabsco pumps I replaced the fresh water one with a Marco. So far I am pleasantly surprised. It is built like something that will last awhile, without all the pulsing and vibration.

I had never heard of Marco pumps so Googled (Go2Marine links for small FW pump and a 4gpm/60psi washdown). Not much info on this Italian-built gear pump, but appears they are the OEM for Reverso. According to specs, because they are variable speed, no accumulator tank is needed. The meager reviews I have found state they are relatively small and quiet.

Thoughts? They aren't super-cheap, but not Paragon expensive either.

Peter

That is the Marco I referred to above. I've had several versions of both the Sureflo and Jabsco "constant flow" pumps, this Marco seems better than either. All metal, no plastic bits. Since it is a gear pump, the flow is smooth, not pulsing like the the multi-lobe pumps. Smaller and quieter. It has the electronic protections of the newer Jabsco, without the problems (if reviews are to be believed). If I had to guess at a weakness, it would be that it is probably not tolerant of grit or other foreign material in the water. I'd worry about it as a seawater pump, unless a good inlet filter were used. They are the OEM for Reverso, the pumps have been around for a long time.

Peter,
About 30 minutes north of you is Depco Pumps. www.depco.com They are an expert in marine pumps and are very helpful to discuss the pros/cons of various pumps.

Thanks for the tip - I think the correct link is for Depco Pumps in Clearwater, just up the road from my home in St Pete FL. I'll definitely reach out to them -

Products

Peter

I have also had good luck with the Marco. Pump 1 in the attached photo for primary domestic. Pump 2 is the wash down, and back up for Pump 1 primary.

Attachments

• 39961534-AB54-4929-891A-D68C8DD1967D.jpg
    39961534-AB54-4929-891A-D68C8DD1967D.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 71
We went with the Headhunter Mach 5 for our freshwater pump- it's 110v, and works flawlessly.

I have also had good luck with the Marco. Pump 1 in the attached photo for primary domestic. Pump 2 is the wash down, and back up for Pump 1 primary.

Nice installation. Like that from factory?

Folks with the room for it may find a standard 120V or240V house well pump , about $200 at ACE or any big box store works well.

They are really strong so if the tanks have to be emptied to take in better water , its fast!

If any thing wears out its usually the pressure switch, under $20 or so .

We went with a Grundfos MQ3-35. It's a 120VAC pump that has it's own internal expansion tank so no need of a separate accumulator. This pump supplies almost immediate pressure and volume, no pulsing, steady pressure. However, it is not small so you would need a suitable location. If you already have an accumulator, a simple shallow well pump,will do the same except the pump will cycle on and off at the set upper and lower limits which will mean some delivery pulsing albeit far less than with 12VDC pumps. The Grundfos cycles on with demand and stays on until the demand is shut off. Of course, expense is always a conssideration. The MQ3-35 costs $630 at Fresh Water Systems.

I tried three of the common 12-volt pumps and was totally dissatisfied. While on the Great Loop I acquired the Grundfos and installed it at the transient dock at Paducah. It was the best use of boat dollars for us in six years of ownership. If you have the space, have a 120VAC source, and enough spare dollars, this pump is a good way to go. Since it is designed as a booster pump for households, I think it will work without fail for a very long time in a boat. Same for shallow well pumps. Can the same be said for any of the 12-volt pumps?

The Headhunter 120VAC pumps are nice (silent?) but they cost $1,600 or more.
Folks with the room for it may find a standard 120V or240V house well pump , about $200 at ACE or any big box store works well.

They are really strong so if the tanks have to be emptied to take in better water , its fast!

If any thing wears out its usually the pressure switch, under $20 or so .

We went with the Headhunter Mach 5 for our freshwater pump- it's 110v, and works flawlessly.

Our boat came with that pump, and it's still in place, but not currently in use. Since it's AC, and such a powerful pump, it would often be the thing that would knock the inverter offline in the morning with the first flush of a head. (Yes, we have a big accumulator tank. But that first flush always makes the pump run.) We don't run the generator any more than we have to, so this was pretty annoying many mornings.

I installed a Jabsco Hotshot 6.0 gpm/70psi washdown pump right next to it and just moved the plumbing over. Have been VERY happy with that pump, and it's been in use full time for about 18 months.

Our boat came with that pump, and it's still in place, but not currently in use. Since it's AC, and such a powerful pump, it would often be the thing that would knock the inverter offline in the morning with the first flush of a head. (Yes, we have a big accumulator tank. But that first flush always makes the pump run.) We don't run the generator any more than we have to, so this was pretty annoying many mornings.

I installed a Jabsco Hotshot 6.0 gpm/70psi washdown pump right next to it and just moved the plumbing over. Have been VERY happy with that pump, and it's been in use full time for about 18 months.

interesting- we had that happen once. Just got off the phone with Headhunter tech support- they said the fix is a $29 capacitor (part # M5-29-115) for the 120v pump.

interesting- we had that happen once. Just got off the phone with Headhunter tech support- they said the fix is a $29 capacitor (part # M5-29-115) for the 120v pump.

Peter, not sure I agree with that. A capacitor would simply dampen the initial surge when the pump starts. That was never the problem, as the inverter doesn't shut off (Low Battery Cut Off) until the voltage gets below the cut-off level for more than 30 seconds. The pump draws so much power, and always runs for about 40 seconds to "recharge" the accumulator, that it would draw the battery voltage down below 12.1 for more than 30 seconds, and cut off the inverter. Remember, this is the "first thing in the morning" scenario - once we're up, and either the solar panels start to bring the batteries up, or we run the generator, it wouldn't happen.

I can now give a basic review on the Delavan FB2 pump. I plumbed the whole system over weekend and tested it out. Emptied my test gallon of water through the hose / nozzle in just under 10 seconds with good pressure, so I'd say it'll do the job. It's surprisingly quiet too.

Back
Top Bottom