Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Washdown & Water Pump Recommendation?

Installing a new Washdown pump and a new Freshwater pump.

1. Does it make sense to buy same brand for these? Interchangeable parts?
2. Recommendation on brand? Shurflo? Johnson? Jabsco? Other?

12V system on my Willard 36. Not looking to cheap-out, but I know there are some super expensive water systems.

Thanks in advance

Peter

mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Fresh water pumps are easy to source , the boat/RV units work well at low cost.
The bigger fancy $$$ FW stuff is for the charter folks that may have 5 faucets open at once,.

The wash down pump might be worth a larger investment as it might be used as a fire pump .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have Jabsco pumps for each of those functions, and they're not the same... no part interchangeability that I know of. FWIW, they both work well enough, as do the Jabsco macerator pumps for our holding tank and fishbox. Not a recommendation, just an observation.

-Chris
Old 04-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have always matched my wash down pump to my fresh water pump. This way if my water pump fails I can replace it with my wash down pump. It’s a lot easier to live with out a wash down pump than with out a fresh water pump.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If the ones you currently have still work, throw them in the spare parts bin, just in case.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
After using many, many Jabsco pumps I replaced the fresh water one with a Marco. So far I am pleasantly surprised. It is built like something that will last awhile, without all the pulsing and vibration.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My fresh water pump is an ancient 3 gpm Shurflo. Not the fanciest thing, but it's reliable and does the job. I'm installing a Delavan FB2 as a wash down pump. Haven't gotten to try it try, but it should do well. 7 gpm open flow, 5.5 gpm into 40 psi. Pressure cutoff is at 60 psi out of the box, but it can do up to 100. Draws a lot of power, 12.3 amps at open flow up to 22.5 at 60 psi (gets closer to 30 if you turn the pressure up more).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I just installed a new FW pump, replacing a much older one and removing the accumulator. Works great.

https://www.go2marine.com/ShurFlo-Aq...tity=1&volts=1
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Installing a new Washdown pump and a new Freshwater pump.

1. Does it make sense to buy same brand for these? Interchangeable parts?

Peter
Great idea. And as the project manager and end-user you can't blame each other for costs or maintenance aspects.

I personally think it is a great idea if you can find a pump that will adequately fulfill both functions, even if one has to compromise a bit for the other.

Alternatively, if you decide upon a lousy pump, you now have two.

I have no experience in these specific applications, but I think Jabsco's are overpriced and under engineered for what you pay for them.

Whale seems to be the most innovative small pump marine/RV company currently. I have a Whale bilge pump that it's so much more reliable than the Rule junk it replaced. Everything about it just feels like so much higher quality, and not like some old pump with molds from the 70s or 80s.

In fact, I would contact them and ask their advice, but this one is on both washdown and freshwater page https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...ure-Pump-Range
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #10

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Peter,
About 30 minutes north of you is Depco Pumps. www.depco.com They are an expert in marine pumps and are very helpful to discuss the pros/cons of various pumps.
My washdown pump is much bigger than my freshwater pump because it has to push water to the bow and with 15' of head pressure. I want my washdown pump to provide more water pressure and volume than I need at my galley sink or even from the shower heads.
Unless you plan to travel down islands where spares can be an issue, I would try to make each pump solution the best available for your needs and budget.
ps - I have been very happy with my Whale bilge pumps.
Good luck.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Over the last 2 years I've had the switch fail on the west Marine FW pump. West have replaced the pump no problem, it's just the switchs are not up to it in my opinion. In frustration I changed over to a mechanical switch. The change in the RPM of the pump and you can hear it running sweeter are both noticeable. I used this adjustable mechanical switch. As far as I can say some 4 months later, and I've been on the boat full time , so the pumps had lots of exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I have always matched my wash down pump to my fresh water pump. This way if my water pump fails I can replace it with my wash down pump. Itís a lot easier to live with out a wash down pump than with out a fresh water pump.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I have always matched my wash down pump to my fresh water pump. This way if my water pump fails I can replace it with my wash down pump. Itís a lot easier to live with out a wash down pump than with out a fresh water pump.
I've done the same thing. I only have to carry one spare to cover both systems.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
As far as spares, I carry a spare water pump. I won't carry a spare washdown pump, as that's a convenience item, not critical. If one fails, I can either get and connect a different pump that'll work temporarily, or I can get a replacement pump shipped in fairly quickly. Living without it for a few days is a potential inconvenience, but not a big deal, as I've boated plenty without a washdown setup at all.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #15

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
We had two paragon sr pumps. One for fresh and one for raw water wash down. The fresh water pump failed last year and we replaced with a headhunter Mach 5. We decided to switch because we wanted to reconfigure the routing of the plumbing and the crossover configuration anyway.

For the wash down i will be sparing another paragon Sr. So it can drop in. We have the crossover in case the fresh water pump ever fails we can switch over to the raw water pump as a backup.

-tozz
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #16
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have Jabsco pumps for each of those functions, and they're not the same... no part interchangeability that I know of. FWIW, they both work well enough, as do the Jabsco macerator pumps for our holding tank and fishbox. Not a recommendation, just an observation.

I should have added...

I've replaced the freshwater pump once, the washdown pump once, the holding tank macerator pump once (that one mostly frozzen from lack of use), and the fishbox macerator pump once (but the original was still working and the problem turned out to be a clogged thru-hull). This over the boat's 17 year lifespan.

I replaced same-for-same in each case, although the replacement freshwater pump model number changed a bit somewhere in there...

Largely because the easiest/fastest swap relied on using the same mounting paraphernalia and the same QEST quick-connect fittings... IOW, not really because of the pumps themselves. In most cases, replacement has been very fast and easy... remaking the electrical connections usually taking up the most time.

-Chris
Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Some MFG use the same pump head for either FW or a wash down pump.

Only difference is the size of the installed motor.

The wash down pumps make great FW pumps tho the bigger motor will cost an amp or two when running.

Easiest to live with is a 6 gal accumulator and a wash down pump.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
After using many, many Jabsco pumps I replaced the fresh water one with a Marco. So far I am pleasantly surprised. It is built like something that will last awhile, without all the pulsing and vibration.
I had never heard of Marco pumps so Googled (Go2Marine links for small FW pump and a 4gpm/60psi washdown). Not much info on this Italian-built gear pump, but appears they are the OEM for Reverso. According to specs, because they are variable speed, no accumulator tank is needed. The meager reviews I have found state they are relatively small and quiet.

Thoughts? They aren't super-cheap, but not Paragon expensive either.

Peter
Old 04-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
That is the Marco I referred to above. I've had several versions of both the Sureflo and Jabsco "constant flow" pumps, this Marco seems better than either. All metal, no plastic bits. Since it is a gear pump, the flow is smooth, not pulsing like the the multi-lobe pumps. Smaller and quieter. It has the electronic protections of the newer Jabsco, without the problems (if reviews are to be believed). If I had to guess at a weakness, it would be that it is probably not tolerant of grit or other foreign material in the water. I'd worry about it as a seawater pump, unless a good inlet filter were used. They are the OEM for Reverso, the pumps have been around for a long time.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Peter,
About 30 minutes north of you is Depco Pumps. www.depco.com They are an expert in marine pumps and are very helpful to discuss the pros/cons of various pumps.
Thanks for the tip - I think the correct link is for Depco Pumps in Clearwater, just up the road from my home in St Pete FL. I'll definitely reach out to them -

Products

Peter