Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Wallas heater - kerosene or diesel

First let me begin by saying I'm lazy and always prefer the lazy solution unless reality dictates otherwise.

Secondly my old boat is a stink pot, translation it is gas. I love this as I don't have to deal with the vagaries of fuel polishing and tank cleaning - note my first sentence above.

Thirdly I am having a Wallas heater installed, smaller one as my boat is 29 feet. I just found out I can have a kerosene heater installed instead of diesel. My refitter doesn't want to install any tank over two gallons as he says that amount of diesel, used for heating only, not stove or anything else, will last a long time. He said if I don't use it up, I could end up with sludge in the small tank. He said if I need additional diesel, just bring a small secondary portable tank along, like two gallons.

Then he mentioned kerosene. I know kerosene doesn't age like diesel, doesn't sludge up a tank like diesel. So I'm thinking of using kerosene.

What are your thoughts on this?

If you look at the specifications on this Wallas heater site, you will note it is kerosene:

https://wallas.fi/index.php?id=47
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
First let me begin by saying I'm lazy and always prefer the lazy solution unless reality dictates otherwise.

Secondly my old boat is a stink pot, translation it is gas. I love this as I don't have to deal with the vagaries of fuel polishing and tank cleaning - note my first sentence above.

Thirdly I am having a Wallas heater installed, smaller one as my boat is 29 feet. I just found out I can have a kerosene heater installed instead of diesel. My refitter doesn't want to install any tank over two gallons as he says that amount of diesel, used for heating only, not stove or anything else, will last a long time. He said if I don't use it up, I could end up with sludge in the small tank. He said if I need additional diesel, just bring a small secondary portable tank along, like two gallons.

Then he mentioned kerosene. I know kerosene doesn't age like diesel, doesn't sludge up a tank like diesel. So I'm thinking of using kerosene.

If you look at the specifications on this Wallas heater site, you will note it is kerosene:

In total I am having a bit of concern to the point. Were the post reduced to: "I'm thinking of using kerosene.

https://wallas.fi/index.php?id=47[/QUOTE]"

Go for it!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My Wallas 40DT has been used the last 6 years in moderate climes.... 30 - 60 degrees for about 4 months per year.

I have used a 2.5 Gallon oil tank as a fuel tank.

I have to fill that tank every 2-3 days is so with the heater on anything about 1/2 throttle. So I am not sure why he thinks the fuel will not get used.

I do get enough soot on the thermocouple that I need to clean every month or so if using the low heat setting day after day... kerosene may alliviate that, but I am to lazy and cheap to switch fuels.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Guru

I would think that kerosene would be cleaner than diesel, I know kerosene is used more in Europe, not as much here. Kind of like Efoy, they use it a lot in Europe, not so much here.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I had 800hrs on my Wabasto and it got so dirty and chocked up w soot Sure Marine told me kerosene burns very much more cleanly. It does. I’ve been running it for awhile now and it seems excellent.

Buying kero in small quantities is a bit troublesome and not that cheap. And of course one needs a dedicated fuel supply. I have a sorta day tank tank but it’s only 2.5 gallons.

But overall I like the kero.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Diesel is available widely where boats will be used. I recommend a diesel appliance, designed for diesel, and fed diesel. If you don’t intend on using it enough to renew the fuel in the tank regularly, perhaps you do not need the appliance? Would a smaller tank allow you to have your appliance and maintain fresh fuel?

We previously owned a Wallas diesel cooktop with heater blower, with a boat attached. It was fairly trouble free, safe, and it worked as designed. I wish I had one in my current boat.

I will close with this - Scan Marine in Seattle was always very forthright with information, incredibly generous with their time on the phone, and prompt with providing ordered parts. Happy customer, no other affiliation. Give them a call, tell them your mission/intended use, listen to what they say.

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
If sludgy fuel is a concern, perhaps a propane heater might make sense ?? ( especially if you already have a propane grill )
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think when I was shopping for a heater I found that propane heaters consumed too much propane. And then there’s the blow yourself up part.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Diesel is available widely where boats will be used. I recommend a diesel appliance, designed for diesel, and fed diesel. If you don’t intend on using it enough to renew the fuel in the tank regularly, perhaps you do not need the appliance? Would a smaller tank allow you to have your appliance and maintain fresh fuel?

We previously owned a Wallas diesel cooktop with heater blower, with a boat attached. It was fairly trouble free, safe, and it worked as designed. I wish I had one in my current boat.

I will close with this - Scan Marine in Seattle was always very forthright with information, incredibly generous with their time on the phone, and prompt with providing ordered parts. Happy customer, no other affiliation. Give them a call, tell them your mission/intended use, listen to what they say.

Good Luck
The above bolded is right on the mark.

Call Bruce or Doug at Scan Marine- they own the place and will not steer you wrong.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
The above bolded is right on the mark.

Call Bruce or Doug at Scan Marine- they own the place and will not steer you wrong.
Double the complements to Scan Marine. Was able to self install with their assistance. Super folks to deal with.
Al- Wallas DT40
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I will add my praise for Scan Marine! I am a very happy long term customer.

As far as tank size your installer is full of crap. I would put in a 5-20 gallon permanently mounted tank with a proper fill and vent line. This makes it easy to fll and allows a significant run time.

As far as fuel I have found the Wallas stoves to be reliable using #2 diesel. I have tens of thousands of hours on my three Walas furnaces and have not noted any of the typical issues you see with “coking”, which is a significant symptom of some other brands when operated on #2 diesel.

Prior to the Wallas units I had several Eapar furnaces and every one of them would coke up if I used #2 diesel. Not so with the Wallas stoves.

Thats not to say the Wallas stoves are maintenance free. I have replaced plenty of ignitors and flame sensors over the years, but again I have a lot of hours on my three furnaceses.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
One solution is burn #1 diesel (home heating oil) in the stove. Commercial fuel docks usually have #1 because many commercial operators use diesel stoves and have a separate tank for stove diesel.
Some farm/tractor supply companies sell kerosene in bulk.
The biocide/catalyst I add to my fuel (Archoil AR6200) has my diesel stove burning clean and gives a mileage boost.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
Guru

I have historically used boats out of season more than most. And my boat will be used more in cold weather than many boats up here. In fact I do have a Newport P9000 propane heater in the V birth/galley area. But as noted above it can go through propane quickly. I am installing the Wallas to be used while underway. Last late September the boat was decidedly damp clammy cold while I was cruising around in the Desolation and Texada area. And I plan some Alaska excursions and I know it can get colder, especially in the evening and when it is raining for an extended period of time.

Propane is harder to get in some of the coastal areas of BC whereas kerosene is used by many off the grid for lights and some back up heating.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
[QUOTE=rsn48;775373]I have historically used boats out of season more than most. And my boat will be used more in cold weather than many boats up here. In fact I do have a Newport P9000 propane heater in the V birth/galley area. But as noted above it can go through propane quickly. I am installing the Wallas to be used while underway. Last late September the boat was decidedly damp clammy cold while I was cruising around in the Desolation and Texada area. And I plan some Alaska excursions and I know it can get colder, especially in the evening and when it is raining for an extended period of time.

For the reasons above I would stick with diesel. It will be available at every fuel dock. Kerosene you may have to go chasing around town to find.

The ULSD available now and the Bio diesel are cleaner burning than the older diesel so the sooting may not be as big a headache.

I have a Dickinson Pacific and use #2 as that is also the boat fuel. There is noticeably less soot, not none, but noticeably less.

For the heater only you might try the Archoil.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #15

City: Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
In total I am having a bit of concern to the point. Were the post reduced to: "I'm thinking of using kerosene.

"

Go for it![/QUOTE]

I support you that kerosene heaters are good. Fuel consumption is low. I changed a lot of this until I tested the kerosene heater. My love is Heatstar By Enerco HS50K
Miarobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
FF
Guru

I would go with kerosene and purchase 2 six gallon metal outboard metal fuel tanks .

Kero is cheap at the right fuel stop , and switching outboard style fuel connections is a snap.

Most heater hassles come from getting them lit , kero is far easier and cleaner than diesel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Well, I finally sent the Wallas 30DT furnace in for service.

I got a call from the techncian at Scan Marine and he told me that I had set a record of 27,000 hours for my furnace.

All those hours were on #2 diesel.

I can safely say that #2 diesel works just fine in a wallas furnace.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #18

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
I have a Wallas heater and cooktop which both run on #2 with no problems.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Guru

Change of plans, same idea but different product. I will be installing an Espar heating unit that will not only warm up the boat but work with my hot water tank, apparently the Wallas can not.

I've noted some here are saying diesel works just great with their heating unit, never suggested diesel was an inferior burning product. I just know it can be sludgier than kerosene, if not where are all those fuel polisher guys getting their business?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I got a call from the techncian at Scan Marine and he told me that I had set a record of 27,000 hours for my furnace.

All those hours were on #2 diesel.

I can safely say that #2 diesel works just fine in a wallas furnace.
I think we're at 24,000 hours on our 40Dt, so we're catching up with you! And we have been using #2 the entire time as well.

BTW, just fired ours up last night for the first time this season. Other than potentially turning it off for extended Thanksgiving and Christmas trips away from the boat, it will most likely run continuously until next May...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote