Old 10-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
CTP
Veteran Member

City: Alameda, CA
Vessel Name: HMS Crown (for the time being)
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Wagner Steering Bleeding Procedure?

Hi all,

I have air in my Wagner steering that I'd like to get out. I am used to a rudder cylinder with fittings on it that I can attach tubing to and pump out the bubbles to a reservoir, and not let more air back in.

This Wagner cylinder just has little set screws for bleeding - if I am looking at it right. 2 on each end.

What process/procedure have other Wagner steering owners used to bleed out air?

Thanks!!!
CTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Do you have the Univalve?
Do you have an upper and lower helm?
What are the pump model numbers?
I assume you have an upper and lower helm. Have you checked the oil level in the upper helm. If it is too low you will put air into the system. Try checking the oil NOW and topping it up. If not to low already that may be enough.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a Wagner system and had both weeping pumps rebuilt. After the mechanic finished the job, there was evidence of air in the system - an occasional "skip" in the wheel resistance.

I devised a fill reservoir with a funnel, a length of 1/2 clear hose and a threaded fitting to match the cap for refilling.

By adding fluid to the flybridge helm pump with a funnel screwed into the refill cap fitting, I was able to turn the wheel from stop to stop quickly to add fluid and force the air out. I kept adding fluid to keep fluid in the funnel reservoir. I probably did that for 10 minutes straight until I could see no more bubbles rising through the funnel's clear hose. I have a suicide knob on the upper helm wheel so it was easier to rapidly pump spin the wheel to its limits.

I never had to use the bleed screws at the ram but I'll be watching this thread as I am now, years later, experiencing small leaks at the ram which will probably require a steering ram rebuild soon.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
It's easier with 2 people. See the PDF.
After the helm pumps are bled, crank the rudder hard over so the piston is all the way to one end or the other and hold it there. Open the bleed screw at that end until any air pressure is released. If you have a bleed pump remove the bleed screw and attach the pump. Usually a rubber cone shaped plug will seal the hole and attach the tubing and drain tank. Pump until no bubbles come out. Upper helm pump needs to be vented or attached to an oil container that is vented.
After bleeding one end of the cylinder, close the bleed port, crank the rudder hard over in the other direction. Keep checking the upper helm pump for oil if a lot of air or oil is removed at the cylinder.
Repeat bleeding the other cylinder end.
A hand vacuum kit runs about $20 on up on ebay. And there are ones that operate with air pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Vac Brake Bleeder_sm.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wa-brochure-filling-700-series-cylinders.pdf (295.2 KB, 32 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Too late to just modify the first post.

Should have added that the ADD and the CHECK point is on the top of the UPPER helm pump.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #6

City: Canada
Awesome post.
I just joined. Does anyone know what size the fittings for the bleed screw and type of thread for the Wagner 701?
Cormatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wagner steering bleed