Vitrifrigo Freezer Blowing Fuses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IntoTheBlue

Vessel Name
Into The Blue
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 43
We have had a Virtifrigo DWC180 series 2 drawer refrigerator and separate DWC180 2 drawer freezer since we have had the boat (standard with Mainship 43's). We have always used the refrigerator and to this day the unit has worked great (units are from 2006). After initially trying the freezer back in 2007, we never used it. It became a very expensive two drawer cabinet for over-sized galley supplies.

Now, almost 13 years later I tried turning it on by turning on the 120 and 12 V circuit breakers on the boat. It would not go on (no LED illumination).
I pulled the freezer out and there is box with a circuit card that brings power to the module. On it there is a small 5 V fuse that seems to be inline with the DC power to the module. There is also a 10 V fuse that seems to be inline for the 120/240. The 5 V was tripped. I replaced both and then tried just the 12 V breaker. 5 V fuse blew immediately. Then tried the 120 beaker and the 10 V fuse snapped.

I've checked a few threads in the past concerning Vitrifrigo circuit problems, but didn't see any where the unit blew both fuses. Could this be a problem of non-use? I'm not really sure where or how to troubleshoot.

One other thought, I have always wanted to convert the freezer to a fridge. I have always been told that it couldn't be done. Is there a way?

Thanks!

I cannot answer the fuse question. We bought a new boat earlier this year that had a Vitrifrigo fridge and a Vitrifrigo freezer. We saw little use for a freezer the way we use a boat. I checked with Vitrifrigo and was told that a freezer could not be converted to a fridge. The dealer that sold us the boat replaced the freezer with a fridge.

"One other thought, I have always wanted to convert the freezer to a fridge. I have always been told that it couldn't be done. Is there a way?"

I would check and see if simply replacing the thermostat would do the trick. Ask the Mfg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom