Venting a dryer, would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prospective

Vessel Name
EPIC
Vessel Make
43' Ocean Super Sport
My ventLESS Splendid washer dryer combo is 20+ years old and no longer functional. I can replace it with the same model but was considering the possibility of going vented for the improved dryer performance I believe that would offer.

However... I am not anxious to cut a hole in my boat and also don't have a great place to do it. But I do have my bilge blower vents, each plumbed to the outside on 4" flex pipe. What if I tee'd into one of those vent lines, or more precisely.. Y'd into one. I could do it with a combination of PVC and flexible pipe.

Obvious concerns would be venting moist dryer air into the engine room and/or engine air into living area (diesel boat). Wondering if using the Y would eliminate potential backflow. Is there a simple backdraft preventer I could use?

Just spit balling... may be a horrible idea.

Ours vents to a location on the inside of the port transom rake by the swim platform. Is that too far a run for yours?

My ventLESS Splendid washer dryer combo is 20+ years old and no longer functional. I can replace it with the same model but was considering the possibility of going vented for the improved dryer performance I believe that would offer.

However... I am not anxious to cut a hole in my boat and also don't have a great place to do it. But I do have my bilge blower vents, each plumbed to the outside on 4" flex pipe. What if I tee'd into one of those vent lines, or more precisely.. Y'd into one. I could do it with a combination of PVC and flexible pipe.

Obvious concerns would be venting moist dryer air into the engine room and/or engine air into living area (diesel boat). Wondering if using the Y would eliminate potential backflow. Is there a simple backdraft preventer I could use?

Just spit balling... may be a horrible idea.

I think it's a clever idea! I can't see why it wouldn't work with the obvious limitations on using both at the same time.

You might consider putting one of these in each of the "input" legs to alleviate the problems you are worried about (including sending bilge-blower fumes into your dryer!). Might need a better seal than the one shown on the dryer leg.

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
I think it's a very poor idea. Not sure about the newest models, but mine doesn't have a lint trap. Any kind of door, obstruction, or tee is going to be a lint collector. The hose needs to be as short as possible, with the least number of bends. Otherwise it reduces airflow and the efficiency of the drying process.

Can you repurpose the bilge vent for the dryer and install a new one elsewhere?

Ted

With a bilge blower sucking air through the dryer, I would imagine dramatically improved drying times. :) At home, I connect my leaf blower to the lint trap area inside the door of our dryer about twice a year and blow the hell out of the system. If you are using the bilge blower to assist, I would be sure I could easily access it for cleaning. If the blower is not in the air flow stream from the dryer sucking on the dryer outlet, you may well end up with damp warm air back flowing into the bilges unless you have a damper in front of the bilge blower.

I think it would be a very bad idea to vent any moist air into the engine room.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. In doing a little searching I guess there are backdraft preventers that I could put in line. I would prefer something automatic and/or spring loaded so I don't have to remember to switch anything over. Seems to be some options out there. One thing I did not consider was lint. That may be a deal breaker if I can't easily clean it at the outlet.

Just a clarification, the bilge blower blows, it doesn't suck. So risk would be blowing hot, engine room air into the dryer, not sucking air from the dryer.

And yes, venting moist air into the engine room would be a bad idea, as I point out, which is why I'm seeking to avoid it.

Replace the traditional vent hose with this Silicone-Coated Fiberglass hose. Temperature rated to 750 degrees, will not kink even when bent 180 degree. Smooth interior. I've been using this for 10 years, no lint catching in this hose. Everywhere I need to move air I use this hose, it's amazing stuff. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/281/

The Brockerts

I would just cut the hole in the side as high up as possible and put a clamshell over it. We did that on a previous boat and didn’t have any issues. Angle the clamshell down and aft. I would not splice into the blower vent hose.

The easiest way is to vent thru the bilge blower. Either with a Y valve or change hoses when running the dryer. If the bilge blower speed is too great, you can install a rheostat in line to turn down the blower speed. I use the rheostat setup on bilge blowers running at very low speed 24/7 to rid my wood boat of the boat smell and keep bilges dry. Doesn't seem to limit blower life.

The easiest way is to vent thru the bilge blower. Either with a Y valve or change hoses when running the dryer. If the bilge blower speed is too great, you can install a rheostat in line to turn down the blower speed. I use the rheostat setup on bilge blowers running at very low speed 24/7 to rid my wood boat of the boat smell and keep bilges dry. Doesn't seem to limit blower life.

You know, just changing hoses as needed wouldn't be so bad. I actually don't use the washer/dryer that much and access is good so manually switching isn't a bad idea.

And I love the reostat idea to keep air circulation.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom