Vacuflush blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
Ordinarily I like our Vacuflush, until I don't. Went below to check the oil and coolant before a trip and it smelled pretty ripe. I had noticed we had some holding tank odor for the past couple of days, but sometimes that happens anyway. So the problem ended up being the bellows on the vacuum pump had a split in one of the pleats, turning the pump into a little fountain of poop.
I don't know if the manual calls for periodic replacement, but let the flusher beware. Complete kits with duckbills and o-rings are available. If mine is original it about 15 years old. Oh well, bilge needed a good cleaning anyway. On with the hazmat suit.

I don't ordinarily laugh at other people's woes but your description of that pump turning into a "little fountain of poop..." made me smile.
Anyone who has been boating long enough has a head story to tell.
Thank you for sharing,
Bruce

I have 2 Vacuflush heads and decided when I bought the boat that preventative maintenance beat repair hands down. New valves every year and new bellows every 3 years. Almost pleasant to work on them after passing 30 gallons of water with a little bleach through the system first.

Ted

What you need is a Y pipe. :)

11128-albums589-picture3865.jpg

I have 2 Vacuflush heads and decided when I bought the boat that preventative maintenance beat repair hands down. New valves every year and new bellows every 3 years. Almost pleasant to work on them after passing 30 gallons of water with a little bleach through the system first.

Ted
How do you pass 30 gallons with bleach? One flush at a time or do you by pass the toilet?

How do you pass 30 gallons with bleach? One flush at a time or do you by pass the toilet?

Fill the bowl full of water and a splash of bleach. Flush it and hold the valve open until all the water disappears. Let the valve close and wait for the vacuum pump to stop. Repeat a couple more times. Let it sit overnight and then repeat the process. Check your holding tank and pump as necessary.

You could probably do it less, but I like to be on the safe side when it comes to the brown stuff.

Ted

Have had experience with the "fountain of poop" on friends boat...Not fun at all...
Actually it looked more like a "volcano of poop" to me...LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom