Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Longboat Key
Two heads. Very nice for even day guests to Not use your head. And backup for the inevitable failure...always at the worst possible time.
bill.kimbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #42

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Gotta be two heads. And I would also vote for one salt and one fresh, particularly if you happen to already have a seacock available. If you’re trying to stay out someplace a couple of extra days, it’s nice to not have to worry about how many times you can flush the head; also, you can still flush should your freshwater pump “crap out”. We’ve never had any more or different problems with our saltwater head vs fresh.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #43
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Two heads are absolutely an essential IMHO. Think of it as a redundant system. If you have the space and it’s ready to plumb, it’s a no brainer. I second the Raritan Marine Elegance- installed myself, but the wiring is tricky. Mine has a switch to select between Salt/Fresh flush .

You DO know that you have to add the optional SeaFresh package that includes a remote intake pump to be able to switch between fresh and salt???? Raritan seafresh.pdf

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #44

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
Had a Chris 41. Replace the metal holding tank now as it likely leaks. Also I vote for two heads. My tank leaked after 20 years. Also add a “sweet tank” air pump with a non metal tank hose.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For contemplating a subject and for on board marine stay overs... "Two heads are better than one"!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It wasn't until the 1950s that the middle classes in my area of the world began wanting multiple bathrooms/toilets in their houses. In my early childhood, the house had three bedrooms and only one bathroom.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It wasn't until the 1950s that the middle classes in my area of the world began wanting multiple bathrooms/toilets in their houses. In my early childhood, the house had three bedrooms and only one bathroom.
I grew up in that situation. Donít want to go back, especially as we get older. Timely access to a head is more critical now.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #48
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Interested in Peggy’s comments as think she’s most knowledgeable.
Last boat was semi custom. Owners group is very friendly and shares experience. Boats where any combination you could think of . One or two, electric or manual. Fresh or salt or both. From those discussions believe: (we had two, both with fresh or salt supply. Both macerated. One elegance,one manual)

Two heads makes sense for long term cruisers. Company, failure etc. but also as liveaboards it meant two sinks and showers. So although we used the elegance in the back for bodily functions it meant she had hers and I had mine. That cuts down “getting ready” time in half.
Two holding tanks makes sense. Most common failure point for many is the hose or through hull for discharge clogs.
Electric heads are more reliable than mechanical heads. Even when both have macerators. Maceration with electric usually occurs at bowl discharge. Maceration usually occurs near holding tank with it running only when discharge pump switch is hit with manual.
It’s good to have both fresh and salt supply to any head. This allows no inconvenience when fresh supply is limited. When fresh again becomes available you can flush out salt and avoid the complications of salt.
PVC is the best piping but often due to geometry not possible to run without the no no of right angle bends or unsupported runs.
If two heads one should be electric and one manual. Don’t want house bank failure or low SOC to be limiting.
Finally, real interested in your opinion of composting. Personally think it maybe a viable option if your program is purely coastal but not if offshore or voyaging is part of your life.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #49
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Peggie (et al):

Is it possible to have two holding tanks, connected somehow, with only one pump-out deck fitting and only one overboard discharge pump/through-hull?

Perhaps a hose or PVC run from primary tank (the one plumbed to the deck fitting) to the secondary tank, perhaps a dip-tube on the secondary tank...

??

-Chris
Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #50

City: Seattle
Of course 2 heads & 2 tanks.
I use PEX piping instead of sanitation hose, they're harder to work with & stiff, but much better IMO. Otherwise I like Trident 101.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
2 heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak_box View Post
I'm restoring a 1980 Chris Craft Commander 410.
The boat had two full heads with separate showers.

I've pulled out both toilets, and will soon pull the marine sanitation hoses as well. The hoses are at least 20 years old - so I'm not even going to question them - they're gonna go. The two AWESOME things are that:

1) The boat hadn't been used in YEARS - so the heads and hoses (and hopefully tank) are all DRY!!! SOOOO much better than if we had used the heads for a while, and then got around to replacing...
2) The boat is laid out in a way that I can get to everything!!! For both heads, the hose starts at the toilet, goes through a bulkhead or two immediately into the engine room, makes a vertical loop (smell containment?) and then runs to a Y (one branch from each toilet) before dumping into the holding tank.

I'm planning to first replace the forward toilet, which serves the forward V-berth, and acts as the "day head". My plan is to replace the old raw water toilet with a fresh water toilet. Possibly the Raritan Marine Elegance, as it's the only one I've found so far that is designed for a fresh water supply without requiring additional solenoids, etc. (If there are other options that are already configured for a fresh water supply - please let me know!)

But I'm not so sure about immediately replacing the toilet in the master head. I will likely hold off at least for a little while to stem the wallet hemorrhaging... I've had thoughts of trying a composting head in the master, with a conventional forward, but that's a different thread.

Bottom line:

Is ONE toilet enough?
I would expect that I'll entertain during the day, but RARELY have more than one couple spending the night. My current/previous boat(s) only had one head - and that was fine.

Having the head and noise (bodily and from pumps, etc.) on the other side of the boat from the person still in bed might be nice.

Similar to the "one engine or two" argument - One head instead of two means less maintenance, parts, expense, and more room in the tiny aft head. It also implies that there is "no backup" if the one toilet fails (though a bucket or porta-potty could be used in the spot where a toilet would normally go in the master bath).

If I don't immediately put in the 2nd toilet, the next question is how much prep of marine sanitation lines should I do for it?

Should I JUST run the line for the first toilet?
In an effort to avoid a messy addition in the future, I could go ahead and put in a new Y in the line from the first toilet to the holding tank. If I do that, do I run the hose all the way to the aft cabin (good hose is DANG expensive!), or just stub it off? If I stub it off, it would be nice to do so in a way that adding the rest of the hose later wouldn't be a nasty job (hence going ahead with the Y and stub).

I thought about running the line from the forward head to the Y, and on to the tank. The other branch of the Y could go to a ball valve, so I'd have a clean, sealed end to work with for adding the second toilet later. The question here would be: Will the ball valve stick shut if it's not operated for a year or so?

Thoughts?
Two heads are twice the maintenance. Thatís a given. But if you are in the process of totally replacing your sanitation system anyway, the quality of life afforded by two heads is immeasurable. Two separate heads is one of the major reasons we bought a GB 36. Very good decision on our part. Rebuild both. You wonít regret it.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote