Old 08-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Delphina
Vessel Model: President 43
Tubing connections

By looking at the tubing can you tell me which type of connections I should used . I need to put a tee in the cold water line . Could I use pex connections? Or it looks lovely Kenyon me there’s s tee with stainless steel clamps .
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
F32E42E3-C73C-409E-A288-C758AF22872D.jpg   0A82EFA6-6E38-4C4A-9774-F64F9A7C355C.jpg  
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I can’t tell from the photos but is the tubing soft or stiff? I absolutely hate doing plumbing because it usually leaks when I am done. If it is like PEX you may be able to use Shark Bite fittings.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #3

stiff
Old 08-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I didn’t even look at your boat type or I would have known that you probably have polybutylene piping in your President like I have in mine. I had a plumber onboard last week because I changed the shower head in the forward head, and it leaked. He said I could use Shark Bite fittings on my pipe. President did a flare on the plastic pipe where it joined metal. He was not in love with it because he thinks it may crack. I was having a leak where Scandvik uses an adapter with a washer in it to convert from some strange thread to 1/2” thread. The washer would keep rolling up inside the fitting and leak. If it keeps doing it I may just use some Marine Tex to join the 2 pipes and be done with it. Only problem is it will never come apart.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If it keeps doing it I may just use some Marine Tex to join the 2 pipes and be done with it. Only problem is it will never come apart.
Don't be too sure. If it's any flavor of polyethylene or polyanything, no adhesive/cement/glue/goop will stick to it. NADA.

Check the OD against copper tubing. If it's a match, a sharkbite will work. Keep in mind that some of that stuff on Asian built boats (mine included) is metric. Not PEX, but polyethylene in metric. So a sharkbite WON'T work. But Whale makes a metric coupler in plastic, also a metric to english adapter that WILL work. The whale adapters are available at WM. Another alternative to working with poly piping is a compression fitting. With the larger diameters, it's better to have a crush sleeve in the ID, but even without one, it will still work much better than trying to seal it up with goop. The only thing that does is make it more difficult to repair when that effort invariably fails.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

thank you im off to West marine tomorrow....
Old 08-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

The reason for the questions is that I am installing an electric Raritan Elegence Toilet and need to put a tee in the cold water line to service the toilet .. any tips on the install?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Maerin;794924]Don't be too sure. If it's any flavor of polyethylene or polyanything, no adhesive/cement/glue/goop will stick to it. NADA.

Scandvik has some thread size that is not 1/2” iron pipe, so they have an adapter with a washer in it to make it 1/2”. The problem is that the washer keeps getting twisted inside when you tighten the adapter. Both are metal so Marine Tex will stick to them. I like the new shower head but we have tried several new adapters and the washer just does not seem to stay in place. So if it leaks again I am probably going with the Marine Tex but if it leaks then I will have to replace the whole shower head since I most likely won’t be able to get them apart after the Marine Tex. But the good would be if it doesn’t leak, it never will.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Put a valve in the line to the head so it's serviceable. Once you tee off the existing line, adapt to PEX or other manageable product that you can easily obtain fittings for. Have you gauged the ID & OD of your existing material to determine what the dimension is? It matters. If you can, cut off a sample of the material long enough to test fit whatever fitting you plan to get. Either it'll fit or it won't. If it won't, you're only buying a headache if you try to use something that's "close". Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Kevmar,

If everything goes well for me this winter, I will be replacing the port fuel tank in our 41’. When I have the port engine out I will be refurbishing the engine room on the port side and I am also going to replace the aft head with a Marine Elegance while I am able to get to the area to run new plumbing to it. I had a Marine Elegance in a previous boat and loved it, great head.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #11

I cut a piece off and applied heat to the tube and was able to get the 1/2 tee into the tube. If I put a c clamp on it, hopefully it will not leak.?????
Old 08-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Antares
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 42 Sedan
I had the same situation when I installed a Raritan Marine Elegance. I found that SharkBite makes a press on coupling with one end sized for polybutylene and the other for 1/2 pex. Two years later and no issues with the connection.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

When I put in a new Marine Elegance this winter, I am hoping that I will have a hose that I can T into instead of the poly pipe. I think there is a place that I can get to when my engine is out. I hate plumbing!