Time for a fresh water system upgrade, Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to the Australian peso. ?

USD 3k is AUD 4k. So add low volume shipping, local taxes etc, all of which are subject to retail and wholesale mark ups..
What do you reckon it adds to the price of a Virginia Submarine?

Should I buy the marine version? NO WAY

The key to working with an alternator is to have the correct cooling fan for the rotation.

Last edited:
Headhunter pump

I flushed the system yesterday and the Accumulator bladder broke followed by a pump failure. Both devices were original to this 31 year old boat. The pump probably was never rebuilt. The Paragon 12v DC motor Model PSR is working just find although it was made is March of 1989. All together this systems puts out 10 GPM around 40 PSI.

Question is: What is the fix/rebuild/replace strategy?

Rebuild the pump with rebuild kit $350.
Replace the Pressure tank $300.
And go with a 31 year old motor?

Replace everything with some newer technology? variable speed pump and motor, no tank needed?

The Brockerts

If my experience helps you, here goes: just put in the Headhunter Excalibur 12v pump. It runs at three different pressures. I do no use an expansion tank with it. It runs my headhunter royal flush toilet and several sinks showers at very nice pressure (like home). It draws 24amps at the lowest (300w) setting. It is microprocessor based. It replaced the same pump which lasted since 2006 and was used regularly.

$6000 water pump?
Insanity

https://www.marinedirect.com.au/psr-12v-groco-paragon-senior-water-pressure-system

We are now running a 240v pump
40 litres/minute with a built in accumulator tank
$135
Loses a bit when reduced from 1 inch to 1/2 inch but still more than enough output.

Being a cast iron pump housing the water out can be tainted for the first 3 litres after sitting all night but a $10 carbon filter has sorted that out

6000 - 145 = A LOT OF BEER AND EVENINGS AT THE POOLSIDE CAFE
:dance:

"Replace everything with some newer technology? variable speed pump and motor, no tank needed?"

Except the variable volume pumps come with a different cost.

Many simply bypass the un needed water internally , so you pay in electric .

"Replace everything with some newer technology? variable speed pump and motor, no tank needed?"

Except the variable volume pumps come with a different cost.

Many simply bypass the un needed water internally , so you pay in electric .
I would not care about the cost of the electricity. It would be a pittance. How about a Grundfos 120VAC pressure-volume booster pump? A bit large and fairly expensive ($700) but bullet-proof on a boat, accumulator not needed. No pressure drops and far more volume than any demand one would impose on a boat. A less expensive option would be a shallow well pump with an accumulator.

"I would not care about the cost of the electricity. It would be a pittance."

Yes dockside,but....

A cruising boat that enjoys the hook has very expensive electric in his batt bank.

Usually a refrigeration system is draining it almost constantly , 100A a day is not uncommon.

Adding another drain can be the difference between ice cream and slush.

"I would not care about the cost of the electricity. It would be a pittance."

Yes dockside,but....

A cruising boat that enjoys the hook has very expensive electric in his batt bank.

Usually a refrigeration system is draining it almost constantly , 100A a day is not uncommon.

Adding another drain can be the difference between ice cream and slush.
True, but water pumps, do they run so often that cost or amp-hours are that significant? Not for this guy.

Back
Top Bottom