For those you who've asked about bidet toilets...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a bidet at home and I quite like it. The biggest issue is temperature control, fixed with a three pipe system. My wife loves that as we don't have to wait for the shower to warm up any more. This can be an issue even on a boat with short runs from water heater to point of use.

On the boat I use the shower.

BUT, I do have a rule..... lid goes down. Failure to lower the lid, I will leave the seat up. You decide. LOL

Darn tootin'. A rule on my boats, including on deliveries. 1. I don't want to look in there when I'm brushing my teeth. 2. When waked or in weather someone's toothbrush is going to end up in there, as is anything else on the counter.

We live with a septic tank and the associated issues with drain fields, one of which was recently crushed by tracked vehicles clearing away trees after Hurricane Micahel - another uninsured $1,000 repair, ka-ching. We have had Brondel bidets in our two bathrooms for years for both the practical hygene and obvious lessened use of paper benefits. Long time ago, I found a non-powered bidet for use on the trawler whose heads I had converted from the ridiculously tiny round child-sized boat vertion bowls manufacturers insist upon using. The lessened use of TP was even more important there than in the home. Were I the Chief of Naval Operations, I would mandate bidets in evey US Navy ship because as a 24-year Navy vet, I witnessed the conversion of ships from the old method of pumping directly over the side to the new holding tanks and all the attendant trouble with pumping them at pierside. BTW, what do you do in a destroyer with a several hundred strong crew when told that you are going to anchor for a few days in the harbor rather than going directly to the pier where you can dump your holding tank designed for maybe a single day's use? Before you go off saying the tank needs to be bigger, remember this is a very compact warship without any extra room like maybe a cruise ship might have. The answer is you immediately call for the honey barge to come to you every day before your system fills up.

Absolutely do not google "bum gum". Absolutely do not ever go to urbandictionary.com .
But I had a really good giggle thinking this was a thing.

Bidet

I’m surprised more folks don’t realize the benefit of a bidet. Male or female, the hygiene benefit alone is worth it. We’ve used one at home for years. On the boat we use a portable bidet. First a battery operated one and more recently a squeeze bottle. Fill it with warm water prior to use and works great. Looking into a spray wand like used in a kitchen sink. Pull it out with a hose, could be plumbed into the boats head. All available on line.

In an office bathroom in the Sudan I saw a bidet conversion. They had teed a valve into the water line, with a piece of copper brake line which ran up between the toilet seat hinge and the rim. Then bent it down into the bowl then pointed up at "the spot".
That was in the capital, Khartoum, out in the countryside it was usually a water bottle next to a Squatter. TP was not common better bring your own if you didn't like a "bidet". That was in late 70s maybe different now.

Poor man's bidet:

While in India a few years back, eastern style toilets (hole in the floor) were the norm. After finishing your business, you're supposed to fill a large teacup from a spigot on the wall while remaining squatted, and pour water down your crack using your right hand, while simultaneously wiping with your bare left hand. Knowing this beforehand, I'd walk in with a double roll of Charmin tucked under my armpit that I packed in from the USA. Or at some public places (bus terminals, etc), an enterprising local would sell it to you by the square.

Todd

I don’t like bidets, every time I wash my hands it sprays all over...

Me neither. The idea that you have to get down on your knees to get a drink of water makes no sense at all. Very poorly designed, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom