TDX Treatment system, No search results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bold Rascal

Vessel Name
Bold Rascal
Vessel Make
1982 SR355 Searay Aft Cabin
Looking for others experience and use (or dis-use) of a TDX chemical treatment system. My newly acquired boat has one, as far as I can tell at least the holding feature of it works.

My (probably stupid) question specifically is:
Can I still use it for treatment (but not to discharge overboard) but rather to pump it to my holding tank and then do the traditional pump out thing?
Any detriment like possibly damaging the holding tank?
Any issues with the treatment chemical?
Should I just bypass the system altogether?

Thanks

Last edited:
The TDX, renamed the SANX in early 90s, was discontinued altogether about 10 years ago. The chemical--a nasty formaldehyde based witches brew called TDX--is still sold, but TDx isn't nor ever was a "tank" product...its sole function was to reduce the bacteria count to the legal limit for "treated" waste (a max of 1000/100ml). It does nothing to reduce odor--and isn't welcome in sewage treatment facilities because it's so toxic. So you'd gain nothing by "treating" with TDX before sending that 9 gallons to the main holding tank.

You have two options that make any sense: 1. Consign the entire TDX system to the dumpster...it has no resale value. 2. Otoh, having another 9 gallons of holding capacity could come in handy, so you could just use it as a "transfer" holding tank.

If that system is still installed, I'm guessing that on a SeaRay you'd still have the original VacuFlush toilets. If so, and if you're new to V/Flush, send me a private message that includes your email address (can't attach anything to PMs) and I'll be glad to send a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how it works (an amazing number of owners think they know but don't) and how to prevent 90% of problems with it.

Excellent!

The TDX, renamed the SANX in early 90s, was discontinued altogether about 10 years ago. The chemical--a nasty formaldehyde based witches brew called TDX--is still sold, but TDx isn't nor ever was a "tank" product...its sole function was to reduce the bacteria count to the legal limit for "treated" waste (a max of 1000/100ml). It does nothing to reduce odor--and isn't welcome in sewage treatment facilities because it's so toxic. So you'd gain nothing by "treating" with TDX before sending that 9 gallons to the main holding tank.

You have two options that make any sense: 1. Consign the entire TDX system to the dumpster...it has no resale value. 2. Otoh, having another 9 gallons of holding capacity could come in handy, so you could just use it as a "transfer" holding tank.

If that system is still installed, I'm guessing that on a SeaRay you'd still have the original VacuFlush toilets. If so, and if you're new to V/Flush, send me a private message that includes your email address (can't attach anything to PMs) and I'll be glad to send a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how it works (an amazing number of owners think they know but don't) and how to prevent 90% of problems with it.

Thank you greatly for the very informative reply.
I will be sending you a pm and also disposing of the TDX system on my yes, Sea Ray...

Thank you Again!

If it were me, I might be inclined to keep the TDX system if it is still functional. If it can be (or is) plumbed to go directly overboard (after treatment) instead of going to the holding tank, then it gives you more options, especially if you are in a remote (but sensitive) area and your holding tanks are full. It could extend the time of your cruising without having to find a pumpout station or dumping your holding tanks in less than ideal locations.

TDX For Sale

I'm all about keeping things as simple as possible so I've pretty much decided that the system will be getting pulled. If a person can get cited for an unsecured wye valve, then it's probably not going to be much longer before you can get cited for having a chemical treatment plant on board...

I had one years ago. Get rid of it. It's nasty stuff and worse on the environment than just cheating. That's why I went to a hold n treat. Great for the environment and not a pain to deal with.

I once spilled some of the Tdx and it got on my skin. A few moments later I could taste it behind my molars. I don't want to be anywhere near that stuff ever again.

Back
Top Bottom