Suggestions for an Inexpensive ice maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

I was originally planning to install a good ice maker for around $1500

I was originally planning to install a good ice maker for around $1500. Instead, I'm listening to some recommendations from you guys and I'm going to install a good freezer and an inexpensive ice maker. Can you recommend an inexpensive ($500 or less) ice maker that will work in the marine environment. I've heard that many of them need to be level to produce the ice and obviously that won't work while under way. Thanks for your anticipated advice.

When our $1000++ clear ice maker crapped out last year, I replaced it with a cheap, probably Chinese made unit I found online. Edgestar brand if that means anything. It is fairly well made with a stainless steel panel in front and the sides and top made of well painted steel. It holds 10-15 lbs of ice.

It cost about $250. I will throw it away and buy a new one when it craps out.

That is what I would do in your situation.

David

Thanks David. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Is this the model Edgestar you are talking about: EdgeStar Titanium Portable Ice Maker?

We have one that is a portable unit, 110v, for about $200. It serves us well and can keep up with demand, providing you keep the water tank filled.

We have one that is a portable unit, 110v, for about $200. It serves us well and can keep up with demand, providing you keep the water tank filled.

Sounds like the one we have that is probably fairly close in size to an electric bread making machine... Sits on the countertop? It does the trick for us!!

Sounds like the one we have that is probably fairly close in size to an electric bread making machine... Sits on the countertop? It does the trick for us!!

Probably the same unit, I've seen the same unit go under several different brands. Yes, it's quite handy and we have it in a cabinet where it sits making it's ice. Pretty quick too, ice can be made within 15-20 minutes, faster when I use the water that I keep chilled in the refrigerator.

On race boat deliveries I carry a small ice maker with a cheap inverter.
It’s worked great for years, its much like this one just older. (NewAir AI-100R 28-Pound Portable Icemaker)

Ice Maker

Dometic ice maker (Model HZB15S), 120 volt, has a list price of $299. It makes up to 33 lbs. of ice every 24 hours. the size is 17" H x 17" D, 15" W.

All sound like good plans, but I have to caution you that when the compressor on our edgestar fridge failed 2 days out of warranty they were horrific to deal with. The worst customer service I've ever received in my life. Replaced it with a small Frigidaire I found at Lowes for about $75 more than I paid for the edgestar. Night and day better, quieter, colder, less energy draw, a little bigger, less condensation on the glass door, just better in every way.

I understand about throw away stuff, I'm pretty cheap, but I will NEVER buy another edgestar product under any circumstances.

I will be the lone voice for bigger is better but you can buy a great ice maker and build an ice box. Put the ice maker on the roof and have it dump into the ice box and put a cold plate in the box. Make 2 or 3 hundred pounds of ice and have it for days. You can make ice at the dock and with a good box have it for a week.

My U-Line, same age as the boat, 1981, still works. We rarely use it but the PO did, a lot.
A tip from my fridge man, clean the radiator thing behind the grille at the base/front of the icemaker. I checked mine after purchase, build up looked like carpet, vacuumed off easily and must help performance.

Back
Top Bottom