Stove/Range Ventilation Hood Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My hood will be over the oven in the leg of the U shaped galley that runs 90 degrees to the center line. My only two options are straight up or left and out the cabin side.

My hood will be over the oven in the leg of the U shaped galley that runs 90 degrees to the center line. My only two options are straight up or left and out the cabin side.

Then straight up looks to be the best. Heat rises. And a one way shutter to keep outside air out. Don’t want food smells being blown back in. A screen is needed to keep bugs from getting Inside seeking the food smells.

I love how you are thinking this all out as you build. Very intelligent.

One design flaw, IMO, of the AT is there is no range hood so cooking smells build up inside. I called my man and we talked. We decided on the following in order of priority exits outside, upper deck, 12vt silent running fan on a rheostat, wood hood, stainless liner, grease filter, exiting to the boat deck via a box and a air scoop..... My man and I are known for over engineering things. Well, his company built and installed it. Things that could be improved, couple more LED lights in the hood, one fwd, one aft instead of the one LED panel outboard. I was told, the hood could not be raise higher or the efficiency of the fan would be reduced requiring the fan to run at a higher speed, greater ambient noise, I think.
Yes, I have bumped my head every now and then but, I’m learning.

Editor note: brain fart, forgot the name of the box but it basically is designed to prevent water from coming back down the vent commonly found on sail boats. Hint: begins with a “D”.

Side note: when first seen, look big but, over time it gets smaller.

Added benefit: This is a holiday weekend, the upper A/C went down and the A/C people cannot get to it until Tuesday? Well, the second A/C services the stateroom and a little bit in the saloon. I turned on all the 12vt compartment fans, turn up the range hood fan to max (not silent at high speed but much quieter than the fans find in a house hood fan). That fan sucked the A/C out of the stateroom, the compartment fans distributed the A/C around the saloon and out the hood. Brought the temp down from 95F to less than 85F.

A dorade vent?

BINGO! (Bells ringing.). :dance:
You win the prize, a set of dirty sheets that fit the AT owner’s mattress!!!
Please have them washed, folded and returned by Thursday.

Last edited:
Then straight up looks to be the best. Heat rises. And a one way shutter to keep outside air out. Don’t want food smells being blown back in. A screen is needed to keep bugs from getting Inside seeking the food smells.

I love how you are thinking this all out as you build. Very intelligent.

Thank you. Between dealing with my county codes department for my boat building "bow shed style green house" and now the Covid-19 hysteria. My build has been delayed a year at least. I managed to get a couple jigs built and squirreled away before all the virus hell cut lose. Since I am very familiar with the hull construction techniques, I'm left to concentrate on details. When they come to mind, I research and ask questions. Then, I jot down notes and put them in a file on my computer.

A dorade vent?
:thumb: My boat is going to have several. Some are built into the bullwarks to allow for engine room ventilation. Others in the cabin top to allow for cabin ventilation and also the stove hood. Most of my dorade boxes will have solar powered vents. The engine room and stove hood will be switched power.

Back
Top Bottom