Steering chains lube ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
... good old fashioned wheel bearing grease or motorcycle chain lube?

The spray on MC chain lube is excellent. The stuff foams up a bit is non-viscus at first, penetrates and then cures to near grease. Use the non-O ring stuff.

The best way to service your chain is to heat it in kerosene to clean it (keeping safe) and then dipping it in hot grease or oil. I can't remember exactly what fluids are used. You could find a motorcycle maint book to get the details. Then use the penetrating and solidifying lubes described above.

Go to the places that sell fasteners and see if you can get "O" ring chain in the size you need. Buy that and use special O ring chain lube thereafter. Special lube is needed for O ring chains because the regular stuff can damage the rubber the O rings are made of.

nomadwilly wrote:
The spray on MC chain lube is excellent.
Thanks, Eric.* I think I'll wait for winter for the chain removal and cleaning, but I'm going to hose the chain in the lazarette with the MC spray to get me through the season.

- Darrell

Spray lube will work fine.

The MC procedure is to get grease inside the chain , so the outer surface can be wiped clean , so sand and dirt will not stick.

Sand is probably not a huge hassle in most engine rooms.

YRMV

Back
Top Bottom